Subaru
1-3-2-4
Premium Member
join:2001-05-31
Greenwich, CT

Subaru

Premium Member

Interlock Murray panel

I wonder how hard it is to wire in a outdoor generator plug input? I ran an outlet from the panel so I can't see it being that much harder.. Having said that what is the most preferred way a interlock or transfer panel?

This last storm I could only keep a few things running with my 800W rated 900W max generator, enough to power a full size fridge and 2 lamps a 20" LCD tv, Fios unit and settop box, laptop and router.

But stuff like heat I can't do because it's hard wired, so this had me thinking as since winter is coming too and it would be good to keep on hand and I would be using it more then just power outages.

Since the location where I will be doing this is a family member that is up in age her heat is hot water and she uses gas.. Anyways her total usage is pretty low.. the two highest things I can think of right now is her 1200W microwave and her fridge which is maybe 500-700W running the rest is CFL bulbs I think 3000W enough for here, no?

But yeah she has a 100 A Murray panel and was wondering which would be the best way

UHF
All static, all day, Forever
MVM
join:2002-05-24

1 recommendation

UHF

MVM

If you use an interlock, how do you know when the power has come back on? Seriously.

I have a small 4 circuit transfer switch that I use for my Honda 2kw generator.

Subaru
1-3-2-4
Premium Member
Greenwich, CT

Subaru

Premium Member

No joke I was just sitting here searching interlocks and I had that very same thought about how would you know.

garys_2k
Premium Member
join:2004-05-07
Farmington, MI

garys_2k to Subaru

Premium Member

to Subaru
Adding an inlet is a lot like a two pole outlet. You'll want to locate near where the generator will run, of course, and add an additional ground conductor split-bolted to your house ground to connect to your generator's frame ground terminal. Also, ideally, the generator won't have an internal neutral-ground bond.

Adding the interlock will take some drilling on the panel face, not a big deal, and yes, the 3 KW generator sounds like it will be fine. Any other motors besides the fridge? Sump pump, well, septic dosing?

UHF
MVM

1 recommendation

UHF to Subaru

MVM

to Subaru
I'm using a transfer switch that is nearly identical to this unit:
»www.reliancecontrols.com ··· x?15114A

I found one new in box on ebay for like $30.

Subaru
1-3-2-4
Premium Member
Greenwich, CT

Subaru to garys_2k

Premium Member

to garys_2k
Nope really basic house it's from the early 1920's she has city water the only pump she needs to worry about is the tiny pump on her boiler.

garys_2k
Premium Member
join:2004-05-07
Farmington, MI

garys_2k

Premium Member

Then 3KW ought to be fine.

Subaru
1-3-2-4
Premium Member
Greenwich, CT

Subaru

Premium Member

yeah I think so too she only uses CFL's in the house and the two largest loads would be the fridge and microwave, I did not check the furnace pump but it's really tiny I'd be shocked if it was more then 1/2 HP.
Subaru

Subaru to UHF

Premium Member

to UHF
I thought the inlet box had to be located on the outside of the house?

UHF
MVM

UHF

MVM

I basically installed a "permanent extension cord", lol. There's an outside inlet, it's wired to an outlet near the transfer switch. When I need to use it I have a short cord that goes from it's outlet to the inlet on the front of the transfer switch, then I have a 12gauge extension cord from the generator to the inlet (an L5-20P).

It's not ideal, but it works and the price was right for the switch so I live with it. I just keep careful track of where those two cords are. The long one for the generator I used a L5-20R on one end so it can't wander off to be used a general purpose drop cord - hence using the L5-20P for the inlet.

Subaru
1-3-2-4
Premium Member
Greenwich, CT

Subaru

Premium Member

oh... the link you gave me I just noticed the male end was not a L5-20P, see the panel is near the basement door like 6-7 inches away I would have to put the inlet box in the front since the side wall is all hard rock.

sk1939
Premium Member
join:2010-10-23
Frederick, MD
ARRIS SB8200
Ubiquiti UDM-Pro
Juniper SRX320

sk1939

Premium Member

said by Subaru:

oh... the link you gave me I just noticed the male end was not a L5-20P, see the panel is near the basement door like 6-7 inches away I would have to put the inlet box in the front since the side wall is all hard rock.

Could always pull the line up and over (assuming it's not out of reach at that point).

Subaru
1-3-2-4
Premium Member
Greenwich, CT

Subaru

Premium Member

well I'm reading the manual here and they are talking about the hard wire installation now, and by up and over are you talking about the inlet box on the outside? it would be a bit over my head with the height it would just be simple to install the box behind the bushes because it would just be a direct run to the panel, I did that when relocating the power box next to the gas meter to the other side of the house.

sk1939
Premium Member
Frederick, MD
ARRIS SB8200
Ubiquiti UDM-Pro
Juniper SRX320

sk1939

Premium Member

said by Subaru:

well I'm reading the manual here and they are talking about the hard wire installation now, and by up and over are you talking about the inlet box on the outside? it would be a bit over my head with the height it would just be simple to install the box behind the bushes because it would just be a direct run to the panel, I did that when relocating the power box next to the gas meter to the other side of the house.

Referring to the inlet box, you could go around the stonework if need be (assuming that is the handiest location).

Subaru
1-3-2-4
Premium Member
Greenwich, CT

Subaru

Premium Member

It would be best just to have the plug in the front the bushes hide anything, the house had a addition added on in the early 80's or late 70's but the stone is like 7 inches thick stone.

The front is just siding, wood then the insulation then basement.

alkizmo
join:2007-06-25
Pierrefonds, QC

alkizmo

said by Subaru:

the house had a addition added on in the early 80's or late 70's but the stone is like 7 inches thick stone.

I drilled through my house's foundation to pass raceway from inside to outside.

It was hard, but I managed to make a 1" hole to fit the PVC raceway for the quickest route to the best location for a generator.

So think about the long term: Do you want a generator at the front of the house. What would be the complications to place the generator at the back of the house, but plug it to the front.

Subaru
1-3-2-4
Premium Member
Greenwich, CT

Subaru

Premium Member

Here are pictures I just took it was hard to describe, I don't want it in the front for reasons you can see in the pictures.. front is street level, load it up and gone.

Inlet box where it would be

steps to the basement.

rock part for basement

thickness

Panel

sk1939
Premium Member
Frederick, MD
ARRIS SB8200
Ubiquiti UDM-Pro
Juniper SRX320

sk1939

Premium Member

That's an old foundation on that house, old mortar for sure.

If you want it in the back there the best option is to go up a level, over through the wall, then drop the PVC down to wall height and use mason screws or construction adhesive to mount the box.

Subaru
1-3-2-4
Premium Member
Greenwich, CT

Subaru

Premium Member

said by sk1939:

That's an old foundation on that house, old mortar for sure.

If you want it in the back there the best option is to go up a level, over through the wall, then drop the PVC down to wall height and use mason screws or construction adhesive to mount the box.

The space next to the box I think would support a transfer panel, the thing is when you say up a level I assume you mean from where I posted the foundation picture? I'm 5'9" so the top is about 6" above my head so just think plugging in a generator cord up that high..

On the flipside you would know what the box is for and it would be out of reach.

alkizmo
Pierrefonds, QC

alkizmo

said by Subaru:

The space next to the box I think would support a transfer panel, the thing is when you say up a level I assume you mean from where I posted the foundation picture? I'm 5'9" so the top is about 6" above my head so just think plugging in a generator cord up that high..

No, once you go through the wall above the foundation, you come back down through a PVC raceway that's attached to the exterior wall's facade. The inlet would be surface mounted.

Subaru
1-3-2-4
Premium Member
Greenwich, CT

Subaru

Premium Member

got it, I was watching the install video for that reliance transfer switch but I'm not sure if it has a knock out at the top of the inlet box?

sk1939
Premium Member
Frederick, MD
ARRIS SB8200
Ubiquiti UDM-Pro
Juniper SRX320

sk1939

Premium Member

It depends on what kind of inlet. For the Reliance you would end up forming a "J" shape to reach the inlet (down, over, then up to the inlet), otherwise there are others such as this Bryant:

»www.google.com/shopping/ ··· BEPMCMAQ

That just installs into a standard box.

alkizmo
Pierrefonds, QC

alkizmo to Subaru

to Subaru
It doesn't look like it has a top knock out, too bad.

But I don't understand the big deal with the reliance transfer switch.

It's so popular, but costs 250$ and only has 6 circuits.

On the canadian Home Depot website, you can buy a 18 space transfer switch for 200$ and have 50$ to spare for the inlet and wires.

»www.homedepot.ca/product ··· m/992421

I don't see anything like that on the american home depot website, but I'm sure they exist.

Subaru
1-3-2-4
Premium Member
Greenwich, CT

Subaru

Premium Member

the one I'm looking at is like $180

sk1939
Premium Member
Frederick, MD
ARRIS SB8200
Ubiquiti UDM-Pro
Juniper SRX320

1 recommendation

sk1939

Premium Member

I would suggest one like this:

»www.homedepot.com/h_d1/N ··· ApBhrY4Y

Subaru
1-3-2-4
Premium Member
Greenwich, CT

Subaru

Premium Member

Yeah but that's only one circuit, no?

*edit
Ok does not seem like it but how does this one work? It seems like it's wired after the main?
Subaru

Subaru to sk1939

Premium Member

to sk1939
said by sk1939:

I would suggest one like this:

»www.homedepot.com/h_d1/N ··· ApBhrY4Y

$99 on Amazon btw.

sk1939
Premium Member
Frederick, MD
ARRIS SB8200
Ubiquiti UDM-Pro
Juniper SRX320

sk1939 to Subaru

Premium Member

to Subaru
It's a whole-panel switch, it works in place of a main breaker with the same function as an interlock kit. Basically like this:

Meter -> T.Panel -> Main Breaker
Generator ->

You run the 10/3 or 8/3 line from that to your inlet. This transfer panel allows you to use your old panel without a whole lot of modification without the risk of back feeding the utility line. The generator itself has a circuit breaker of either 30A or 50A which would provide the over current protection if need be. Just make sure that the neutral-ground bonding is removed.

Subaru
1-3-2-4
Premium Member
Greenwich, CT

Subaru

Premium Member

Got it, It would not be until Dec until I get a higher wattage generator providing we don't get a massive snow storm stores can start building up a fresh supply of generators.
Subaru

Subaru

Premium Member

Click for full size
Inside the panel from a few years back

»Re: wall outlet cover for outdoor GFCI