Subaru
1-3-2-4
Premium
join:2001-05-31
Greenwich, CT
kudos:1
reply to alkizmo

Re: Interlock Murray panel

got it, I was watching the install video for that reliance transfer switch but I'm not sure if it has a knock out at the top of the inlet box?

sk1939
Premium
join:2010-10-23
Mclean, VA
kudos:10
Reviews:
·T-Mobile US
·Verizon FiOS

It depends on what kind of inlet. For the Reliance you would end up forming a "J" shape to reach the inlet (down, over, then up to the inlet), otherwise there are others such as this Bryant:

»www.google.com/shopping/product/···BEPMCMAQ

That just installs into a standard box.

alkizmo

join:2007-06-25
Pierrefonds, QC
reply to Subaru

It doesn't look like it has a top knock out, too bad.

But I don't understand the big deal with the reliance transfer switch.

It's so popular, but costs 250$ and only has 6 circuits.

On the canadian Home Depot website, you can buy a 18 space transfer switch for 200$ and have 50$ to spare for the inlet and wires.

»www.homedepot.ca/product/60-amp-···m/992421

I don't see anything like that on the american home depot website, but I'm sure they exist.

Subaru
1-3-2-4
Premium
Greenwich, CT

the one I'm looking at is like $180

sk1939
Premium
Mclean, VA
Reviews:
·T-Mobile US
·Verizon FiOS

1 recommendation

I would suggest one like this:

»www.homedepot.com/h_d1/N-5yc1v/R···ApBhrY4Y

Subaru
1-3-2-4
Premium
Greenwich, CT

Yeah but that's only one circuit, no?

*edit
Ok does not seem like it but how does this one work? It seems like it's wired after the main?

Subaru
1-3-2-4
Premium
Greenwich, CT
reply to sk1939

said by sk1939:

I would suggest one like this:

»www.homedepot.com/h_d1/N-5yc1v/R···ApBhrY4Y

$99 on Amazon btw.

sk1939
Premium
Mclean, VA
Reviews:
·T-Mobile US
·Verizon FiOS
reply to Subaru

It's a whole-panel switch, it works in place of a main breaker with the same function as an interlock kit. Basically like this:

Meter -> T.Panel -> Main Breaker
Generator ->

You run the 10/3 or 8/3 line from that to your inlet. This transfer panel allows you to use your old panel without a whole lot of modification without the risk of back feeding the utility line. The generator itself has a circuit breaker of either 30A or 50A which would provide the over current protection if need be. Just make sure that the neutral-ground bonding is removed.

Subaru
1-3-2-4
Premium
Greenwich, CT

Got it, It would not be until Dec until I get a higher wattage generator providing we don't get a massive snow storm stores can start building up a fresh supply of generators.

Subaru
1-3-2-4
Premium
Greenwich, CT
reply to Subaru

Click for full size
Inside the panel from a few years back

»Re: wall outlet cover for outdoor GFCI

cowboyro
Premium
join:2000-10-11
Shelton, CT
reply to UHF

said by UHF:

If you use an interlock, how do you know when the power has come back on? Seriously.

Look at the neighbors? Street lights? Look at the meter if it's digital? Voltage probe placed near main wires?
Having all circuits available surely beats having just a handful. I only have 1 empty slot on my 40-slot panel, how would I choose 6-10 "critical" circuits when the air handlers and furnace alone take 5 of them?
With the interlock I have the *entire house* on generator... Hell my wife cooked the other day... on the electric range powered by the generator.

Jack_in_VA
Premium
join:2007-11-26
North, VA
Reviews:
·Millenicom

said by cowboyro:

[
With the interlock I have the *entire house* on generator... Hell my wife cooked the other day... on the electric range powered by the generator.

We do that all the time. Coffee pot, toaster, microwave, one burner on stovetop.

UHF
All static, all day, Forever
Premium,MVM
join:2002-05-24
Reviews:
·Mediacom
·Callcentric
·Dish Network
reply to cowboyro

said by cowboyro:

I have a small generator. 1800W. All I *need* to power is the fridge, furnace, and a couple lights. In the 8 years I've lived here the longest outage we've had is a couple of hours, and only once. That's not to say an ice storm won't take us out longer, but the city has their own generation, so unless the lines are down between me and the power plant 3/4 mile away it's not likely I'll have a long outage.

Subaru
1-3-2-4
Premium
Greenwich, CT
reply to Subaru

The interlocks still use the generator input plug, no?

sk1939
Premium
Mclean, VA
Reviews:
·T-Mobile US
·Verizon FiOS

said by Subaru:

The interlocks still use the generator input plug, no?

Yes, but the interlock kits generally don't come with the inlets.

Subaru
1-3-2-4
Premium
Greenwich, CT

I assume those kits are wired after the main? And I really haven't checked but were can you find one of those watt meters that goes over one of the wires? I assume it's nothing but a current measuring device but in wattage instead of amps.

sk1939
Premium
Mclean, VA
Reviews:
·T-Mobile US
·Verizon FiOS

4 edits

Interlock kits are made by your panel manufacture and are basically a metal bar on your panel that switches between two double breakers on that panel (main and generator). Same concept as that panel I showed you, just as an "all in one" solution.

Well you could just use a clamp meter and measure the amps and do the math from there honestly (V*A=W, ignoring power factor at the moment).

Interlock Kit

Transfer Switch Type 1

Transfer Switch Type 2

Transfer Switch Type 3

Transfer Switch Type 4 (Automatic)

Note these aren't official "types", rather just show the different types of transfer switches.

Subaru
1-3-2-4
Premium
Greenwich, CT
reply to Subaru

hah automatic would be nice but a little too much on her house..

the interlock seems to be simple

I assume I need a open breaker location but given how it is on my panel I might have to shift some breakers down?

sk1939
Premium
Mclean, VA
Reviews:
·T-Mobile US
·Verizon FiOS

said by Subaru:

hah automatic would be nice but a little too much on her house..

the interlock seems to be simple

I assume I need a open breaker location but given how it is on my panel I might have to shift some breakers down?

Yes, but not all panels support an interlock kit, only a handful do.

SwedishRider
Rider on the Storm
Premium
join:2006-01-11
not Sweden

said by sk1939:

Yes, but not all panels support an interlock kit, only a handful do.

Not too many manufacturers make an interlock for their own panels, but I'm stunned at how many interlocks are available for various panels by aftermarket products: »www.interlockkit.com/

kherr
Premium
join:2000-09-04
Collinsville, IL

Awfully expensive for a couple pieces of sheet metal, but then again it's for a limited market.

SwedishRider
Rider on the Storm
Premium
join:2006-01-11
not Sweden

said by kherr:

Awfully expensive for a couple pieces of sheet metal, but then again it's for a limited market.

It is expensive, but it's due to the cost of testing so it can be UL listed. Without that, I don't think building inspectors can allow it to be accepted as code compliant.

Subaru
1-3-2-4
Premium
Greenwich, CT
reply to Subaru

I was told this would work and it works it's Murray panels but I wonder how this interlock works?

»www.lowes.com/pd_317963-1318-ECS···Id=10151
--
It's NOT Ni-kon It's NE-KON!

LG is NOT Lifes Good It's Lucky Goldstar!

alkizmo

join:2007-06-25
Pierrefonds, QC

that interlock goes left to right for both main and backfeed breakers.

the panel in ur picture has top-down for the main breaker.

doubt it will work

Subaru
1-3-2-4
Premium
Greenwich, CT

Ahh right.. but just looking here

»www.interlockkit.com/murray01.htm

the first one looks like mine but mine is two handle is that going to be an issue?

telco_mtl

join:2012-01-06
reply to alkizmo

said by alkizmo:

that interlock goes left to right for both main and backfeed breakers.

the panel in ur picture has top-down for the main breaker.

doubt it will work

why wouldnt it, ive seen many interlocks for horizontal breakers that will stop a vertical main from being operated. the interlock would need to slide to the left and block the main, simple as that.

IowaCowboy
Iowa native
Premium
join:2010-10-16
Springfield, MA
Reviews:
·Verizon Broadban..
·Comcast
reply to Subaru

If all you want to run is the boiler/furnace, I'd put one of these in. »www.homedepot.com/Electrical-Bre···wrZG9KK0
--
Romney-Ryan and Scott Brown are the Right Choice as they are Hope & Change you can count on.

Subaru
1-3-2-4
Premium
Greenwich, CT

Might be good for my friend who might do that later but in my case at a family member's house I'm going to be getting a larger generator after December so use for power outage and out in the field.

So in my case I would need to do whole house so I would still need the interlock.

sk1939
Premium
Mclean, VA
Reviews:
·T-Mobile US
·Verizon FiOS

said by Subaru:

Might be good for my friend who might do that later but in my case at a family member's house I'm going to be getting a larger generator after December so use for power outage and out in the field.

So in my case I would need to do whole house so I would still need the interlock.

You would need the interlock, or a full blown transfer panel.

Subaru
1-3-2-4
Premium
Greenwich, CT

Correct, I should tell my friend about it.. I took my Generator to his house yesterday just so I can show him you can use it for muti uses like powering stuff like my heater I ran yesterday when it was chilly, hardly could hear it running..

Anyways I will just do the interlock and just deal with the price, I might have to email the guy on that interlock site to see if I can use that interlock that has a 4 handle main Murray on my box that is a 2 handle main.

I assume all 100 Amp service panels just have a 2 breaker main?
--
It's NOT Ni-kon It's NE-KON!

LG is NOT Lifes Good It's Lucky Goldstar!