kherr
Premium Member
join:2000-09-04
Collinsville, IL

kherr to XXXXXXXXXXX1

Premium Member

to XXXXXXXXXXX1

Re: Interlock Murray panel

Awfully expensive for a couple pieces of sheet metal, but then again it's for a limited market.
XXXXXXXXXXX1
Premium Member
join:2006-01-11
Beverly Hills, CA

XXXXXXXXXXX1

Premium Member

said by kherr:

Awfully expensive for a couple pieces of sheet metal, but then again it's for a limited market.

It is expensive, but it's due to the cost of testing so it can be UL listed. Without that, I don't think building inspectors can allow it to be accepted as code compliant.

Subaru
1-3-2-4
Premium Member
join:2001-05-31
Greenwich, CT

Subaru

Premium Member

I was told this would work and it works it's Murray panels but I wonder how this interlock works?

»www.lowes.com/pd_317963- ··· Id=10151

alkizmo
join:2007-06-25
Pierrefonds, QC

alkizmo

that interlock goes left to right for both main and backfeed breakers.

the panel in ur picture has top-down for the main breaker.

doubt it will work

Subaru
1-3-2-4
Premium Member
Greenwich, CT

Subaru

Premium Member

Ahh right.. but just looking here

»www.interlockkit.com/mur ··· ay01.htm

the first one looks like mine but mine is two handle is that going to be an issue?
telco_mtl
join:2012-01-06

telco_mtl to alkizmo

to alkizmo
said by alkizmo:

that interlock goes left to right for both main and backfeed breakers.

the panel in ur picture has top-down for the main breaker.

doubt it will work

why wouldnt it, ive seen many interlocks for horizontal breakers that will stop a vertical main from being operated. the interlock would need to slide to the left and block the main, simple as that.

IowaCowboy
Lost in the Supermarket
Premium Member
join:2010-10-16
Springfield, MA

IowaCowboy to Subaru

Premium Member

to Subaru
If all you want to run is the boiler/furnace, I'd put one of these in. »www.homedepot.com/Electr ··· wrZG9KK0

Subaru
1-3-2-4
Premium Member
Greenwich, CT

Subaru

Premium Member

Might be good for my friend who might do that later but in my case at a family member's house I'm going to be getting a larger generator after December so use for power outage and out in the field.

So in my case I would need to do whole house so I would still need the interlock.

sk1939
Premium Member
join:2010-10-23
Frederick, MD
ARRIS SB8200
Ubiquiti UDM-Pro
Juniper SRX320

sk1939

Premium Member

said by Subaru:

Might be good for my friend who might do that later but in my case at a family member's house I'm going to be getting a larger generator after December so use for power outage and out in the field.

So in my case I would need to do whole house so I would still need the interlock.

You would need the interlock, or a full blown transfer panel.

Subaru
1-3-2-4
Premium Member
Greenwich, CT

Subaru

Premium Member

Correct, I should tell my friend about it.. I took my Generator to his house yesterday just so I can show him you can use it for muti uses like powering stuff like my heater I ran yesterday when it was chilly, hardly could hear it running..

Anyways I will just do the interlock and just deal with the price, I might have to email the guy on that interlock site to see if I can use that interlock that has a 4 handle main Murray on my box that is a 2 handle main.

I assume all 100 Amp service panels just have a 2 breaker main?

sk1939
Premium Member
Frederick, MD
ARRIS SB8200
Ubiquiti UDM-Pro
Juniper SRX320

sk1939

Premium Member

said by Subaru:

Correct, I should tell my friend about it.. I took my Generator to his house yesterday just so I can show him you can use it for muti uses like powering stuff like my heater I ran yesterday when it was chilly, hardly could hear it running..

Anyways I will just do the interlock and just deal with the price, I might have to email the guy on that interlock site to see if I can use that interlock that has a 4 handle main Murray on my box that is a 2 handle main.

I assume all 100 Amp service panels just have a 2 breaker main?

Depends on the 100A panel and the age, but most main breakers are just large single breakers (larger than any of the other breakers in the panel).

alkizmo
join:2007-06-25
Pierrefonds, QC

1 edit

alkizmo

said by sk1939:

Depends on the 100A panel and the age, but most main breakers are just large single breakers (larger than any of the other breakers in the panel).

I think he meant 2 breakers as double pole.
Then yes, they're not different from their 200A counterpart (of the same age/brand).

I often see identical panels rated 100A and 200A, the only difference is the breaker rating.

Subaru
1-3-2-4
Premium Member
Greenwich, CT

Subaru

Premium Member

These are not 2 breakers in tandem but it's a single breaker with a bar to connect the both of them.. I'd have to double check to be 100% but at least that's what I saw, but having said that I can't see why the one on that site wont work for mine.

sk1939
Premium Member
Frederick, MD
ARRIS SB8200
Ubiquiti UDM-Pro
Juniper SRX320

1 edit

sk1939

Premium Member

said by Subaru:

These are not 2 breakers in tandem but it's a single breaker with a bar to connect the both of them.. I'd have to double check to be 100% but at least that's what I saw, but having said that I can't see why the one on that site wont work for mine.

Your main breaker is a set of handle-tied (Edit: not tandem) breakers rated at 100A, like this:

Whereas other panels have a main breaker like this:

Tandem Breakers:

Subaru
1-3-2-4
Premium Member
Greenwich, CT

Subaru

Premium Member

gotcha, and they make beakers for backfeeding right? Or well that's what I heard.

sk1939
Premium Member
Frederick, MD

sk1939

Premium Member

Yes, depending on the manufacture.

Subaru
1-3-2-4
Premium Member
Greenwich, CT

Subaru

Premium Member

Should I be looking for a certain brand breaker? I noticed on that interlock site they have piggyback breakers and backfeed breakers.

I think Siemens breakers are said to fit.

sk1939
Premium Member
Frederick, MD

sk1939

Premium Member

Any brand that fits, Siemens is good though.

Subaru
1-3-2-4
Premium Member
Greenwich, CT

Subaru

Premium Member

Still haven't heard back from that site with the interlock kit.. I will just guess he is busy or customer service is lacking.

nunya
LXI 483
MVM
join:2000-12-23
O Fallon, MO
·Charter

nunya to Subaru

MVM

to Subaru
I looked at the interlock kit site. I don't think they have one for that panel. Murray panel should only use Murray breakers. They are still manufactured and widely available.

Note of interest: Even though Murray and Siemens breakers are the exact same, made in the same factory and on the same line - Murray breakers are listed for use in Siemens panels, but not vice-versa.

Also wanted to make a comment about interlokkit.com, not all of their interlocks "fit like a glove". The last one I installed had to be filed down. I don't like doing that. I would also suggest buying the manufacturers breaker retainer rather than using their included ty-wrap method.
Their products are listed and I've never had an inspector reject their paperwork.

In your case, you may have to use some other option other than an interlock. While there's nothing wrong with that panel, it's age will work against you when trying to track down an interlock.

Subaru
1-3-2-4
Premium Member
Greenwich, CT

Subaru

Premium Member

I can't track much of anything as far as the way the main switch is.

Toadman
Hypnotoad
join:2001-11-28
Mystery

Toadman

Just a word of experience -

I used to have one of those Reliance 10 breaker panel kits, and decided after one year of using it, and still running extension cords all over the place, I bought a Square D interlock kit for my panel, $45 bucks at Meynards, sold the Reliance panel on Ebay for $380.00, made a profit, and kept the plug. I noticed that these reliance panels are going up in price.

Just marked the hot tub and AC circuits with a red sticker to make sure I shut them off and no problems, nice to have the whole house with power.

The only regret is it was easier to tell when the power came back on with the reliance transfer switch, now I have to look at neighbors to see if it came on or not. I think you can buy some type of CT that you can attach to the main that will light up a light when the mains are back on, just haven't found an innexpensive solution...

fcisler
Premium Member
join:2004-06-14
Riverhead, NY

1 recommendation

fcisler to Subaru

Premium Member

to Subaru
i'll second interlockkit.com. I do not work for them, i've installed three of their units. Two murrary (30a and 50a) and an ITE (30a).

As far as their fit: it was tight on all three. The most expensive was the 50a. Buying the kit, inlet and cord from them was around $440 shipped. The breaker and cable at home depot was another $60. $500 total. Their cord was good quality (4g SOOW). I would look for another inlet, though. While theirs was sufficient I did not like the size nor the way the inlet was held into the panel. Using 6GA wiring it was stiff to fit in place.

My issue with the transfer switches (separate panel) is that you then have to pick 6 (or however many) circuits which you want to power. Not sufficient for me. My kitchen lights, kitchen outlets, living room lights, fridge and furnace would fill all 6 slots. What about anything else I want to power? Extension cord from kitchen to my TV?

With the interlock kit I can power everything - generator being the limiting factor. All I do is flip off the stove and I can use my house as I need.

My friend who got the 50a interlock has a rental in the basement. Their bathroom/shower uses a sump pump. They have their own panel in the unit. Using a transfer switch he would have to run the sump pump back to the main panel. Using the interlock and a 9,000 watt generator he was able to power his house and apartment with no problems.

His power mast was taken down during sandy. Before they hooked him up they saw the generator and asked to look at the panel. The guy looked at the interlock, saw it was UL listed and said he was good to go.