share rss forum feed

thegeek
Premium
join:2008-02-21
right here
kudos:2

Photo Sphere

»www.androidpolice.com/2012/10/31···-sphere/

A modified version of the new camera app that includes Photo Shere that should work on most rooted devices. I'm going to try it out on my Verizon SGS3 running LiquidSmooth JB RC7 soon. I guess viewing the Photo Sphere photo doesn't work on the phone but if you upload it to Google+ it is viewable there. If it works for me I'll post a link of a test shot.

thegeek
Premium
right here

OK, I can confirm it is working. Rather bad ass too, especially when you view them on Google+. And I read that you can upload the images to Google Maps as well so that people using Google Maps can view your Photo Sphere shots. I can't wait for awesome shots scenic places to start appearing.

Here is an example I found: »plus.google.com/photos/105046045···58305522

I'll probably post an example I make myself tomorrow when I actually have a good place to test it other than in my house.

thegeek
Premium
right here

OK, just discovered that after taking a Photo Sphere shot when I attempt to take another one the camera app crashes. A reboot gets it working again. Minor inconvenience that will likely be worked out by devs at XDA in the next few days.

Also, forgot to mention that the file downloadable from the AndroidPolice link I posted earlier is to be flashed in recovery and it doesn't replace the stock camera app. You'll see two separate camera apps on your phone.

chmod
Premium
join:2000-12-12
Lockport, IL
reply to thegeek

I just flashed one posted on the gnex forums. Indeed its badass.

»forum.xda-developers.com/showthr···=1965895

chmod
Premium
join:2000-12-12
Lockport, IL
reply to thegeek

New google search posted also.

»forum.xda-developers.com/showthr···=1963693

thegeek
Premium
right here

1 edit
reply to chmod

The Gnex should be able to run the stock app OK. Other phones need the modified version.

Also, there is a new version at the AndroidPolice link I posted in the first post. The viewer works now and I am able to reopen the camera app without it crashing and needing a reboot. There are still 2 versions of the camera and gallery though so if you want to make this your daily driver camera and gallery you'll want to back up the old versions and remove them.

smunro622
Premium
join:2006-02-15
Madison Heights, MI
reply to thegeek

Downloaded it its pretty awesome, thanks guys...

mromero
Premium
join:2000-12-07
The O.C.
kudos:1
reply to thegeek

i get that they want to keep the photo sphere feature on Google Plus right now, but at some point they need to make something that works with Facebook.

tcope
Premium
join:2003-05-07
Sandy, UT

said by mromero:

but at some point they need to make something that works with Facebook.

Facewhat?

After not visiting FB for a long time, I find the layout to be really difficult to follow (ie junk).

Really nice addition to Android! I can see this really boosting Android sales. Course, it's only a matter of time before Apple invents it.

(Yup, said it first!)

thegeek
Premium
right here
reply to mromero

I hope they have integration of the Photo Sphere into Google Drive soon. I can upload the photos to Drive but you can't view them there like other photos. I like sharing photos with family on Drive because I can limit it to only people with the link and then people don't have to sign into Google but yet it's still not open to the public. With Google+ I have to either make the posts public or people have to sign in to see it.

As for Facebook, it's probably on Facebook to implement the viewer and not on Google.