uniqs

alkizmo
join:2007-06-25
Pierrefonds, QC

alkizmo to robbin

to robbin

Re: Generator doesn't work with Power Vent Hot Water Heater

said by robbin:

Simple. There is no ground fault protection. So when the old extension cord powering the electric skillet has a nick on the hot and that brushes against the wife or baby who is also touching any grounded device, it could create a life threatening situation. Everything is more dangerous when people are using extension cords

said by robbin:

Everything is more dangerous when people are using extension cords

Yes yes
And a floating neutral sort of helps on protection.
BUT someone getting in contact with a nicked extension cord connected to a N/G bonded generator will not get shocked any more than if it was connected to a house receptacle on utility power (unless it was a GFCI receptacle).

So instead, you should have said (And I am going to say it now): Frink, if you go to home depot, buy an extension cord with GFCI protection and run things through it. They will protect you, even if there is no ground.

Also, frink, copper rod = useless, if you do use one, you'd have to bond it with your house's grounding electrode (probably cold water entry).

Instead, buy copper wire #6 gauge long enough to connect your generator's chassis to the grounding conductor of your electrical panel (probably another #6 bare copper wire going to your cold water entry pipe).

sk1939
Premium Member
join:2010-10-23
Frederick, MD
ARRIS SB8200
Ubiquiti UDM-Pro
Juniper SRX320

sk1939 to alkizmo

Premium Member

to alkizmo
said by alkizmo:

Incorrect, it can be either in the panel OR at the generator.
Transfer switches can switch the neutral. Mine for example does such thing, so the bond is at the generator, as per an electrician's recommendation.

Some do, some don't, it depends highly on the transfer panel so you can't generalize. Interlock kits for example have a different approach.
said by alkizmo:

Yes it IS a kludge, but that isn't what's being debated.

If you know it's a kludge, why would you suggest it? It's like telling a kid that it's bad to have guns around other people, but go ahead and take it to school.
said by alkizmo:

I'm going to assume you were still talking about N/G bond not being good at the generator with a transfer switch. So yes, you're right, 2 bonds is bad. But again... the bond CAN be at the generator and be the only bond.

Yes, but the point of that is what when you need the bond to be at the panel once power is restored? That just creates more work for yourself.

GenNewbie
@rr.com

GenNewbie to robbin

Anon

to robbin
So I see for about $30-35 I can buy a 2 foot extension cord that appears to have a GFCI protected triplex plug. In other words, if I plug that into the generator and then the extension cord I want to run into that, does this solve many of the safety issues that is causing the stir?

I hope so as it would be a quick, convenient and easy fix and provide a great piece of mind. Thank you.

sk1939
Premium Member
join:2010-10-23
Frederick, MD

sk1939

Premium Member

That would work so long as you are not connecting it to your house wiring.

GenNewbie
@rr.com

GenNewbie

Anon

By that you mean back feeding the panel? I am not doing that.

I am currently running 1 new 10 gauge outdoor type extension cord. I would plan to use this new short GFCI cord between that cord and the generator to "protect" the connection. If that works, it would seem like $30 very well spent.

garys_2k
Premium Member
join:2004-05-07
Farmington, MI

garys_2k

Premium Member

said by GenNewbie :

By that you mean back feeding the panel? I am not doing that.

I am currently running 1 new 10 gauge outdoor type extension cord. I would plan to use this new short GFCI cord between that cord and the generator to "protect" the connection. If that works, it would seem like $30 very well spent.

You'll be fine. The GFCI does add some peace of mind and protection, good idea. The N-G bond "jumper cord" enables it to work with your WH, that's fine, too. Good luck on your outage!

GenNewbie
@rr.com

GenNewbie

Anon

Thanks very much. It will be great to have hot water and know that we are (mostly) safe. As always, I will be as safe as I can, use decent materials and try to be smart about things. I just never thought about the GFCI being in line in an extension cord. Genius!

I really appreciate the help!