Search Topic:
uniqs
share rss forum feed

Bosgarage57

join:2010-09-02
Sevierville, TN

1 edit

Mifi Questions!

I got my novatel mifi today, and connected to it I am getting 7 down and 1 up, but since my home is so long, I have had to put a repeater up. I was running this repeater with the old 3g plan as well and didnt have a problem. When I speedtest connect to the repeater I am getting .05 down and the test fails on the upload. Actually past few test I've tried to run on speakeasy have resulted in a "could not load download file." Any suggestions?

New Question, will also list it at the bottom. It seems my mifi is turning off after so much time dormant, and I have chagned the settings to turn off "never." I usually have to restart the mifi. While this doesnt seem like a difficult thing to do, i have an uncle who uses the internet while Im at work, and he wouldnt even know where to look for the device, let alone restart it.

Jim_in_VA

join:2004-07-11
Cobbs Creek, VA
kudos:4

Re: Mifi and Repeater question

what do you mean about a "repeater'?

Bosgarage57

Sevierville, TN
Sorry I should have clarified. I have a sapido router set up in Wireless AP mode. It (should) take the signal from the mifi and extend it throughout the house. You know way more about it than I do Jim, and im very grateful for you and eveyone else on this forum.

kevnich24

join:2006-04-19
Mulberry, FL
reply to Bosgarage57
Just a recommendation - but get a newer cradlepoint router with wifi as wan capabilities and use it. The wifi on the mifi IMO isn't very powerful at all, good for being close but for a house I'd use something else.

video
Still Browsing Through Purgatory
Premium
join:2005-11-27
Newburg, MD
Video tutorial; setting the MBR 95 up to wifi as wan. You lose some speed going through the MBR 95 but it works and you can monitor your usage.

You also should check with the dealer you buy this equipment from, some of them charge a 20% re-stocking fee, that along with the shipping makes it quite expensive when you find out you don't need the item or it doesn't work as you thought it would this is from recent experience.

»3gstore.com/product/3029_cradlep···r95.html
--
MiFi 4620L, Cradlepoint MBR95 router

Bosgarage57

Sevierville, TN
Woke up this morning and the Sapido router was working like it should I was getting 10 down and 1 up. The upload seems kinda low on the mifi, but I'll take it

Bosgarage57

Sevierville, TN
reply to Bosgarage57

Re: Mifi Questions!

New Question. It seems my mifi is turning off after so much time dormant, and I have chagned the settings to turn off "never." I usually have to restart the mifi. While this doesnt seem like a difficult thing to do, i have an uncle who uses the internet while Im at work, and he wouldnt even know where to look for the device, let alone restart it.

purwater
Premium
join:2002-10-25
Bluefield, VA
My MiFi has the same issue. First week it was perfect, and then I had 4 straight days of coming home to find there was no wifi working. I'd have to restart the MiFi and it would work fine. I've since had a straight week of it working perfectly again. I did set mine to never turn off as well after it happened the first day. I have bought a Pantech UML290 to use with my Cradlepoint router, but I've had a couple issues getting it to work so I'm waiting on a usb extension cable (as suggested to me in this forum) to see if that helps the issues I'm having with the Pantech. The MiFi is a very nice device that does pretty much everything I need. I'm hoping they do a firmware update for it that eliminates that problem, and then I won't have a need for the Pantech and router setup.

Duramax08
To The Moon
Premium
join:2008-08-03
San Antonio, TX
reply to Bosgarage57
Your mifi has a ext antenna port correct? Have you looked around for a antenna? Im just curious what good 3g/4g antennas for your mifi is out there. I was thinking about upgrading my advance plan to a verizon 3g/4g hotspot plan and now that I saw you can set a wireless router to your hotspot, im highly interested.

and just to be clear, you can do the following, correct?

hotspot for internet---->mbr95 or another wireless router to get hotspot signal----->another wireless router to broadcast wireless to entire house.
--
(Insert some stupid political rant here)

Bosgarage57

Sevierville, TN
yes it does have the ext antenna, however I dont need it. I am using a Wilson Sleek 4g-v, and have a great signal. I again have to say I really like my Sapido Router (I got the RB1732). With these routers, they have 3 modes:

Router
AP Wired
AP Wireless.

I use the AP Wireless. and like you said, you go into the settings in the Sapido, change it to AP wireless, find the SSID you want to broadcast (the MIfi) and make sure the password and Security is all the same. Let the router restart, and thats it!

I dont know if the MBR95 has the settings like that or not. I know I had a Linksys ddwrt router, and it was much harder to put it into repeater mode. I will prob buy 2 more Sapido routers (the smaller ones) for my gf and to extend the original Sapido even more!

Bosgarage57

Sevierville, TN
reply to Bosgarage57
I just read somewhere that the MBR 400 has a setting that "reboots" the device it is connected too. Is this something I could set up if I bought the mbr with the mifi device? Anyone?????? I've had 4 disconnects this morning already.