UHF
All static, all day, Forever
MVM
join:2002-05-24

UHF to Subaru

MVM

to Subaru

Re: Interlock Murray panel

I basically installed a "permanent extension cord", lol. There's an outside inlet, it's wired to an outlet near the transfer switch. When I need to use it I have a short cord that goes from it's outlet to the inlet on the front of the transfer switch, then I have a 12gauge extension cord from the generator to the inlet (an L5-20P).

It's not ideal, but it works and the price was right for the switch so I live with it. I just keep careful track of where those two cords are. The long one for the generator I used a L5-20R on one end so it can't wander off to be used a general purpose drop cord - hence using the L5-20P for the inlet.

Subaru
1-3-2-4
Premium Member
join:2001-05-31
Greenwich, CT

Subaru

Premium Member

oh... the link you gave me I just noticed the male end was not a L5-20P, see the panel is near the basement door like 6-7 inches away I would have to put the inlet box in the front since the side wall is all hard rock.

sk1939
Premium Member
join:2010-10-23
Frederick, MD
ARRIS SB8200
Ubiquiti UDM-Pro
Juniper SRX320

sk1939

Premium Member

said by Subaru:

oh... the link you gave me I just noticed the male end was not a L5-20P, see the panel is near the basement door like 6-7 inches away I would have to put the inlet box in the front since the side wall is all hard rock.

Could always pull the line up and over (assuming it's not out of reach at that point).

Subaru
1-3-2-4
Premium Member
Greenwich, CT

Subaru

Premium Member

well I'm reading the manual here and they are talking about the hard wire installation now, and by up and over are you talking about the inlet box on the outside? it would be a bit over my head with the height it would just be simple to install the box behind the bushes because it would just be a direct run to the panel, I did that when relocating the power box next to the gas meter to the other side of the house.

sk1939
Premium Member
join:2010-10-23
Frederick, MD
ARRIS SB8200
Ubiquiti UDM-Pro
Juniper SRX320

sk1939

Premium Member

said by Subaru:

well I'm reading the manual here and they are talking about the hard wire installation now, and by up and over are you talking about the inlet box on the outside? it would be a bit over my head with the height it would just be simple to install the box behind the bushes because it would just be a direct run to the panel, I did that when relocating the power box next to the gas meter to the other side of the house.

Referring to the inlet box, you could go around the stonework if need be (assuming that is the handiest location).

Subaru
1-3-2-4
Premium Member
Greenwich, CT

Subaru

Premium Member

It would be best just to have the plug in the front the bushes hide anything, the house had a addition added on in the early 80's or late 70's but the stone is like 7 inches thick stone.

The front is just siding, wood then the insulation then basement.

alkizmo
join:2007-06-25
Pierrefonds, QC

alkizmo

said by Subaru:

the house had a addition added on in the early 80's or late 70's but the stone is like 7 inches thick stone.

I drilled through my house's foundation to pass raceway from inside to outside.

It was hard, but I managed to make a 1" hole to fit the PVC raceway for the quickest route to the best location for a generator.

So think about the long term: Do you want a generator at the front of the house. What would be the complications to place the generator at the back of the house, but plug it to the front.