spc
Search similar:

uniqs
Aaerox
join:2011-09-27
North York, ON

Aaerox

[Extreme Plus] New Speeds Effective December 1st

So I just got this message injected from Rogers tonight.

I currently have the higher upload speeds of 7 Mbps. Does this mean rogers will downgrade my upload speeds to 4 Mbps?
yyzlhr
join:2012-09-03
Scarborough, ON

2 edits

yyzlhr

Hard to tell at this time. Based on the fact that the message says that your current upload is 1mbps despite having the higher upstream product code on your account, I would guess that 4mbps would be the non-higher upstream tier speed, and those with higher upstream already would retain the 7mbps.

Once the network upgrades are complete in the entire footprint, the plan is to eliminate the "higher upstream" designation and make them the standard tier. Considering there are still many areas to upgrade, I doubt this will be done by December.

EDIT: just got a notification telling me that Express will be going to 25mbps down and 2 up. My notification also said my current upload speed is 0.5mbps but I'm on the 2mbps tier already. If Rogers can implement some better caps, this will really put pressure on Bell to expand FTTH deployments as 25 down is the max speed you can get with FTTN and that drops to 16 if they subscribe to Fibe TV.

Robleh
join:2009-07-14
canada

Robleh to Aaerox

to Aaerox
What changes will happen to the extreme plan?
useless2764
join:2008-10-11
Barrie, ON

useless2764 to Aaerox

to Aaerox
well that makes the extreme+ plan actually make sense now, instead of that stupid 4 Mbps difference
MichelR
join:2011-07-03
Trois-Rivieres, QC

MichelR to Aaerox

to Aaerox
I just saw something on a tab I was closing and thought it was some exceeded usage warning (I saw the Rogers logo too late and was already clicking on the X to close the tab, so I never saw what it was). Glad to know that's all it was... I canceled my service, so I can no longer see my usage in "My Rogers" ($&$?*$&)
MichelR

MichelR to Robleh

to Robleh
said by Robleh:

What changes will happen to the extreme plan?

Just got the message again, so here you go:

Our constant network improvement means we're always getting faster - so you can go faster too! Effective by December 1, 2012 we're upgrading your Rogers Hi-Speed EXTREME package's download speed to up to 35 Mbps1 (currently up to 28 Mbps) and the upload speed to up to 3 Mbps2 (currently up to 1 Mbps). Your SpeedBoost will also be increased by December 1. This exclusive Rogers technology will speed up your content download or streaming activity for the first 20 MB (currently 10 MB) when there's available bandwidth3. Enjoy these faster speeds to download, surf and stream faster - at no additional charge.

All other aspects of your Rogers service(s) will remain the same. For more information or questions, please contact us in any of the ways listed on rogers.com/contactus. Please print a copy of this notice for your records. Thank you.

1. Speeds may vary with internet traffic, server gateway/router, computer (quality, location in the home, software and applications installed), home wiring, home network or other factors. Also see the Acceptable Use Policy at rogers.com/terms. Modem set-up: the system is configured to maximum modem capabilities within Rogers own network.

2. In some areas, Rogers manages upstream peer-to-peer (P2P) file sharing applications speed to a maximum of 80 kbps per customer for Rogers Hi-Speed Internet (delivered over cable). This policy is maintained at all times. For information on Rogers Internet traffic management practices and Legal Disclosure at rogers.com/networkpolicy

3. Exclusively available from Rogers within Rogers cable serviceable area. SpeedBoost technology temporarily increases download speeds for the first 20MB of a file download when extra bandwidth is available on the network. Actual speed may vary based on network traffic, amount of data transferred and length of time since last boost and other factors.
jamaica168
join:2012-11-01

jamaica168 to Aaerox

to Aaerox
Click for full size
I just got this notice on express.

joeblow3
join:2000-12-27
h0h0h0

joeblow3 to Aaerox

to Aaerox
And just got notice as well that express will be going to 25m upload and 2m download, change from 18m up and 0.5m down. Effectove December 1st

The higher upload is what I am looking for.

Pesterd
@rogers.com

Pesterd

Anon

I am on the Old Ultimate (75/2) and the only msg I got was 'higher speed boost for the firs 50 MB'.

kerron
@rogers.com

kerron to Aaerox

Anon

to Aaerox
It says that rogers throttles Upload P2P in some areas...weren't they supposed to get rid of throttling uploads for p2p by the end of this year??
Ree
join:2007-04-29
h0h0h0

Ree to Pesterd

to Pesterd
said by Pesterd :

I am on the Old Ultimate (75/2) and the only msg I got was 'higher speed boost for the firs 50 MB'.

Me too. Boo-urns!

I guess that means I probably don't need to call to inquire about the high upstream availability in the near future...
resa1983
Premium Member
join:2008-03-10
North York, ON

resa1983 to kerron

Premium Member

to kerron
said by kerron :

It says that rogers throttles Upload P2P in some areas...weren't they supposed to get rid of throttling uploads for p2p by the end of this year??

By the end of the year, yes. They have until Dec 31, 2012 to turn it off.

Knowing Rogers, it'll be done last minute, or early hours of Jan 1.

elitefx
join:2011-02-14
London, ON

2 edits

elitefx

Customers must be leaving Rogers by the thousands. Since when do they ever officially announce a speed increase a month ahead of schedule?

How much do you want to bet the TPIAs will offer new faster/cheaper packages that will make Rogers look like they're giving you nothing?

Actually, this announcement was a stupid move on Rogers part. They've just given the competition 30 days notice to double/triple their best deals on tiers and prices.

Rule #1: Never let the competition know your plans in advance......
yyzlhr
join:2012-09-03
Scarborough, ON

yyzlhr

said by elitefx:

Actually, this announcement was a stupid move on Rogers part. They've just given the competition 30 days notice to double/triple their best deals on tiers and prices.

Have your forgotten that the competition is Bell, who cannot easily offer faster speeds with their current FTTN technology.
bt
join:2009-02-26
canada

bt to Pesterd

to Pesterd
said by Pesterd :

Likely because the new 150/10 Ultimate has a different price, so it's not an automatic upgrade.
resa1983
Premium Member
North York, ON

resa1983 to elitefx

Premium Member

to elitefx
said by elitefx:

Customers must be leaving Rogers by the thousands. Since when do they ever officially announce a speed increase a month ahead of schedule?

How much do you want to bet the TPIAs will offer new faster/cheaper packages that will make Rogers look like they're giving you nothing?

Under CRTC rules, Rogers has to provide the same speeds to TPIA as they do with their own customers. The only upperhand they have is having the advertising out sooner.

Considering Rogers is increasing speeds for their own customers, they'll have to file a Tariff with the CRTC stating the new speeds for TPIA, which must match their own customers'. Usually, the new speeds come into play 1 month after Rogers increases their own customers'.

creed3020
Premium Member
join:2006-04-26
Kitchener, ON

1 edit

creed3020 to Aaerox

Premium Member

to Aaerox
Finally some confirmination on hard numbers and dates!

I'm with TSI but this is still good news. Extreme Plus doesn't seem to be getting the best end of the deal here with the 4Mbps. Is 7Mbps supposed to be available to customers based on support in their area?

Nice to see Robbers put the screws to bHell with their prime tier Express going for parity against Bell's highest mainstream tier. FTTH is so limited availability that I don't really consider it much of a option to consumers.
resa1983
Premium Member
North York, ON

resa1983

Premium Member

said by creed3020:

Finally some confirming on hard numbers and dates!

I'm with TSI but this is still good news. Extreme Plus doesn't seem to be getting the best end of the deal here with the 4Mbps. Is 7Mbps supposed to be available to customers based on support in their area?

Nice to see Robbers put the screws to bHell with their prime tier Express going for parity against Bell's highest mainstream tier. FTTH is so limited availability that I don't really consider it much of a option to consumers.

Original numbers were 7.. I think they realized that that number is much too high after killing off throttling (SORRY!), otherwise they'd see congestion.

creed3020
Premium Member
join:2006-04-26
Kitchener, ON

creed3020

Premium Member

Yeah that does make sense but the 7 seemed like a more natural bridge to ultimate. The gap to Ultimate at 10Mbps upload will be more than double what E+ offers.

Either way I'm pumped because we Extreme users are getting the upload originally rumored and a download speed increase of 7Mbps.

I'm just wondering if the data caps will go up separately months later because with the new up/down speed Robbers customers will burn through their caps even faster!
bt
canada

bt

said by creed3020:

Yeah that does make sense but the 7 seemed like a more natural bridge to ultimate. The gap to Ultimate at 10Mbps upload will be more than double what E+ offers.

Though remember, the Ultimate download speed is more than triple what E+ will have.
geokilla
join:2010-10-04
North York, ON

geokilla to elitefx

to elitefx
said by elitefx:

70% off Internet... Why would they leave Rogers? It'd be significantly cheaper than any TPIA offering.
bt
canada

3 edits

bt

said by geokilla:

70% off Internet...*

*In a bundle with full priced TV and home phone

By being with Not-Rogers for all 3 services, I'm saving twice what that discount on Internet only would have been for the equivalent products. The difference would obviously be larger for someone that doesn't have all 3 services.
kabes
join:2010-05-14
Kitchener, ON

kabes to Aaerox

to Aaerox
Hope this means TSI will be able to offer the increased upstream speeds. 1 meg is getting old.

Pesterd
@rogers.com

Pesterd to bt

Anon

to bt
It's actually 70% off for Internet with 1 more Rogers service. Could be either Home Phone or TV (any package)

hurleyp
join:2000-06-20
Ottawa, ON

hurleyp to Aaerox

to Aaerox
I received a similar message this morning for my Extreme speed-boost. I was surprised to see this injected message as I do not use the Rogers DNS servers.
jonase
join:2010-12-15

jonase to kabes

to kabes
said by kabes:

Hope this means TSI will be able to offer the increased upstream speeds. 1 meg is getting old.

I'd like to hear something about this too... Would convince me to stick around!
trafsta
join:2010-02-14

trafsta to Aaerox

to Aaerox
Anyone know if these speed increases as of December 1st are just for GTA residents (and perhaps Ottawa, etc) or if they are for all regions? I live in Barrie... currently on Express 300GB service and just locked in 10 minutes ago for 2 years @ 80% off internet... I'm really hoping I'll get bumped from 0.5mbit to 2mbit uploads (while still keeping my 300GB limit) If not then I'll call in December and bump up to Extreme Plus for 4mbit upload and will live with the 150GB limit *sniff*.

JC_
Premium Member
join:2010-10-19
Nepean, ON

JC_ to jamaica168

Premium Member

to jamaica168
The upgrade for the express tier will be nice.

Dones
join:2008-02-14
Toronto, ON

Dones to kabes

to kabes
said by kabes:

I wouldn't say it's getting old. I would say it's a rotting corpse that was beaten by a drunk man with a shovel then pissed on by children poking it with a stick.

MJB33
join:2012-01-29

MJB33 to Aaerox

to Aaerox
faster speeds
same cap

enjoy reaching you cap faster