geokilla

join:2010-10-04
North York, ON
Reviews:
·TekSavvy Cable
reply to elitefx

Re: [Extreme Plus] New Speeds Effective December 1st

said by elitefx:

Customers must be leaving Rogers by the thousands. Since when do they ever officially announce a speed increase a month ahead of schedule?

How much do you want to bet the TPIAs will offer new faster/cheaper packages that will make Rogers look like they're giving you nothing?

Actually, this announcement was a stupid move on Rogers part. They've just given the competition 30 days notice to double/triple their best deals on tiers and prices.

Rule #1: Never let the competition know your plans in advance......

70% off Internet... Why would they leave Rogers? It'd be significantly cheaper than any TPIA offering.

bt

join:2009-02-26
canada
kudos:1

3 edits

said by geokilla:

70% off Internet...*

*In a bundle with full priced TV and home phone

By being with Not-Rogers for all 3 services, I'm saving twice what that discount on Internet only would have been for the equivalent products. The difference would obviously be larger for someone that doesn't have all 3 services.

kabes

join:2010-05-14
Kitchener, ON
reply to Aaerox

Hope this means TSI will be able to offer the increased upstream speeds. 1 meg is getting old.

Pesterd

@rogers.com
reply to bt

It's actually 70% off for Internet with 1 more Rogers service. Could be either Home Phone or TV (any package)

hurleyp

join:2000-06-20
Ottawa, ON
Reviews:
·Rogers Hi-Speed
reply to Aaerox

I received a similar message this morning for my Extreme speed-boost. I was surprised to see this injected message as I do not use the Rogers DNS servers.
--
"I reject your reality and substitute my own."

jonase

join:2010-12-15
reply to kabes

said by kabes:

Hope this means TSI will be able to offer the increased upstream speeds. 1 meg is getting old.

I'd like to hear something about this too... Would convince me to stick around!

trafsta

join:2010-02-14
reply to Aaerox

Anyone know if these speed increases as of December 1st are just for GTA residents (and perhaps Ottawa, etc) or if they are for all regions? I live in Barrie... currently on Express 300GB service and just locked in 10 minutes ago for 2 years @ 80% off internet... I'm really hoping I'll get bumped from 0.5mbit to 2mbit uploads (while still keeping my 300GB limit) If not then I'll call in December and bump up to Extreme Plus for 4mbit upload and will live with the 150GB limit *sniff*.

JCohen
Premium
join:2010-10-19
Nepean, ON
kudos:9
reply to jamaica168

The upgrade for the express tier will be nice.

Dones

join:2008-02-14
Toronto, ON
reply to kabes

said by kabes:

I wouldn't say it's getting old. I would say it's a rotting corpse that was beaten by a drunk man with a shovel then pissed on by children poking it with a stick.

MJB

join:2012-01-29
reply to Aaerox

faster speeds
same cap

enjoy reaching you cap faster

join:2007-09-06
Etobicoke, ON
reply to Dones

said by Dones:

I wouldn't say it's getting old. I would say it's a rotting corpse that was beaten by a drunk man with a shovel then pissed on by children poking it with a stick.

Ya, it's about time Rogers got their shit in gear.

Etobicoke, ON
reply to MJB

said by MJB:

faster speeds
same cap

Sure, if you're foolish enough to stay with Rogers.

Etobicoke, ON
reply to Aaerox

I hope these new speed tiers do NOT include the upstream speed bumps due to the rolling out of upstream channel bonding otherwise the upstream speeds for some of the lower tiers are pretty weak.

MichelR

join:2011-07-03
Ottawa, ON
Reviews:
·Start Communicat..
·voip.ms
·Rogers Hi-Speed
reply to MJB

said by MJB:

faster speeds
same cap

Do I need to say this every time? It's not because your files download faster that you'll necessarily download more. Or if most of your usage is streaming like Netflix, the added speed won't make the movies play faster, letting you watch more.

(Not defending the low caps, far from it - I'm moving to a third-party provider this month - but the whole faster speeds mean you reach your cap faster thing is not true for most people).

CFoo

join:2008-03-19
Nepean, ON
reply to Aaerox

I guess that means a price increase will happen in the near future?

HiVolt
Premium
join:2000-12-28
Toronto, ON
kudos:21
Reviews:
·TekSavvy DSL
·TekSavvy Cable

said by CFoo:

I guess that means a price increase will happen in the near future?

It happens every spring on Rogers.

elitefx

join:2011-02-14
London, ON
kudos:2

Yea, this is just a new spin on Rogers reverse billing that was declared illegal, so many years ago, when Rogers upgraded everyones TV package and we had to call in and cancel or higher fees would take effect without our consent.

You just know, come spring, that Rogers will slam us hard for all these so called new upgrades.

Laughable really, NOT.........

Poser

join:2002-07-28
reply to Aaerox

So the caps are staying the same?

Etobicoke, ON
reply to elitefx

said by elitefx:

Laughable really, NOT.........

and yet you stay with them......

yyzlhr

join:2012-09-03
Scarborough, ON
kudos:4
reply to Poser

said by Poser:

So the caps are staying the same?

Yes they are.

elitefx

London, ON

1 edit
reply to 34764170

said by 34764170:

Not by choice, trust me..........

fspilot

join:2002-03-19
Scarborough, ON
Reviews:
·Bell Sympatico
reply to Aaerox

I'm on Extreme Plus with the 32Mbps download and 7Mbps upload speeds. I called Rogers to see if my upload speeds would be lowered to 4Mbps with the new 45Mbps download speed on Dec 1st. The CSR indicated to me that my speeds won't be changing to the new download/upload speeds. I will be keeping the current speeds as a 'grandfathered' package. If I want to take advantage of the new 45Mbps download speeds I would be then lowered to the 4Mbps upload speed.

I plan on keeping the 7Mbit upload. 32Mbit download is good for me.

It could be that they may be keeping some current Extreme Plus customers with the newer 32/7 on those speeds after Dec 1st. As with Rogers, I will be taking all of this with a grain of salt and will see what happens after Dec 1st.

If unsure call Rogers.

yyzlhr

join:2012-09-03
Scarborough, ON
kudos:4

said by fspilot:

I'm on Extreme Plus with the 32Mbps download and 7Mbps upload speeds. I called Rogers to see if my upload speeds would be lowered to 4Mbps with the new 45Mbps download speed on Dec 1st. The CSR indicated to me that my speeds won't be changing to the new download/upload speeds. I will be keeping the current speeds as a 'grandfathered' package. If I want to take advantage of the new 45Mbps download speeds I would be then lowered to the 4Mbps upload speed.

I plan on keeping the 7Mbit upload. 32Mbit download is good for me.

It could be that they may be keeping some current Extreme Plus customers with the newer 32/7 on those speeds after Dec 1st. As with Rogers, I will be taking all of this with a grain of salt and will see what happens after Dec 1st.

If unsure call Rogers.

The CSR is talking out of their ass, none of the CSRs right now know exactly what will be happening to higher upstream customers ATM.

fspilot

join:2002-03-19
Scarborough, ON
Reviews:
·Bell Sympatico

Good one! When I speak to their CSR's, I take a wait and see approach and wait until what they actually do.

I called them many times about higher upload speeds until finally threatening to cancel before I got them.

Just putting what happened to me out there to see if anyone else had a similar experience.

coldpower27

join:2004-02-07
Scarborough, ON
reply to Aaerox

Just go the message.

45/4 for Extreme Plus not bad over 32/1 for current.

SO it's 35/3 for Extreme and 25/2 for Express.

Triple Helix
Go Blue Jays Go
Premium
join:2007-07-26
Oshawa, ON
kudos:7
reply to Aaerox

Any news on Caps? Extra speed is fine but Caps need to go up!

TH

J E F F
Whatta Ya Think About Dat?
Premium
join:2004-04-01
Kitchener, ON
kudos:1
Reviews:
·Rogers Portable ..
reply to hurleyp

said by hurleyp:

I received a similar message this morning for my Extreme speed-boost. I was surprised to see this injected message as I do not use the Rogers DNS servers.

That is interesting, isn't it? I use a DNS service for my MLBTV, HuluPlus and Netflix without issue, yet I still seem to be calling home to crappy Rogers.
--
If you can't explain it simply, you don't understand it well enough. - Albert Einstein

MacrossFreek

join:2001-03-26
Toronto, ON
reply to Triple Helix

Doubtful. Maybe next year after the annual spring service fee increase

JAC70

join:2008-10-20
canada
reply to elitefx

said by elitefx:

said by 34764170:

Not by choice, trust me..........

Yes, by choice. There are numerous DSL providers in your area, all with better plans, but you choose not to switch.

elitefx

London, ON

2 edits

said by JAC70:

Yes, by choice. There are numerous DSL providers in your area, all with better plans, but you choose not to switch.

Ya sound like my ex-wife, now go do your nails honey............