how-to block ads

Search Topic:
uniqs
share rss forum feed

Beermage

@rogers.com
reply to bt

Re: [Extreme Plus] New Speeds Effective December 1st

Just changed my plan to the new Atlantic (Not available in Ontario) Extreme package:

- $51.99/month ($10 cheaper then the old plan)
- 30 Mbps download speed
- 10 Mbps upload speed
- 500 GB usage allowance

creed3020
Premium
join:2006-04-26
Kitchener, ON
kudos:2
Reviews:
·TekSavvy Cable

said by Beermage :

Just changed my plan to the new Atlantic (Not available in Ontario) Extreme package:

- $51.99/month ($10 cheaper then the old plan)
- 30 Mbps download speed
- 10 Mbps upload speed
- 500 GB usage allowance

Nice cap and speeds. See what competition from Bell Aliant's FTTH does...!

fspilot

join:2002-03-19
Scarborough, ON
reply to Aaerox

Did anyone on the 32/7 extreme plus speeds get an upgrade to 45/7 yet?

kerron

@rogers.com
reply to Aaerox

I really don't get the point of increasing speeds if you don't increase caps...probably should move to bell, better download speeds, way better upload speeds, no p2p throttling, and bigger caps. All for 10 bucks more =/

BliZZardX
Premium
join:2002-08-18
Toronto, ON
Reviews:
·WIND Mobile

said by kerron :

I really don't get the point of increasing speeds if you don't increase caps...probably should move to bell, better download speeds, way better upload speeds, no p2p throttling, and bigger caps. All for 10 bucks more =/

Yup that's been my argument for a year. All Rogers plans are overpriced and outdated. Lite is particularly pathetic because you can't even Skype properly with 256kbps anymore.

BliZZardX
Premium
join:2002-08-18
Toronto, ON
Reviews:
·WIND Mobile

1 edit
reply to bt

said by bt:

They've also listed a new tier: "Ultimate Fibre". 250Mbps symmetrical, with a 500GB cap.

When you click it they make you fill out a ridiculous CAPTCHA. Rogers fiber is years behind Shaw and 4x slower (Shaw is doing 1/1Gbps), not available where I live in downtown Toronto (what else is new?), cap is too low and they made no pricing info available. Even if it was available, what's with the 500GB cap? Pass.

hurleyp

join:2000-06-20
Ottawa, ON
Reviews:
·Rogers Hi-Speed
reply to Aaerox

Click for full size
I took a closer look at what Rogers injected into my browser last week, and it seems that my Extreme plan is only getting a "SpeedBoost" upgrade. Better than nothing, I guess, but nothing special.
--
"I reject your reality and substitute my own."

jasmo34

join:2008-03-20
London, ON

Do you only have a "Docsis 2" modem?

hurleyp

join:2000-06-20
Ottawa, ON
Reviews:
·Rogers Hi-Speed

said by jasmo34:

Do you only have a "Docsis 2" modem?

Good question! Yes, I have a vintage 2004 SB5100 SURFboard modem, DOCSIS 2 only. If I want more than simple speed boost, I guess I'll have to shell out for a DOCSIS 3 modem.
--
"I reject your reality and substitute my own."

ubi21

join:2005-07-07
Thornhill
reply to Aaerox

I got upgraded to 45/7 from 32/7. I'm in the Thornhill area.

Dones

join:2008-02-14
Toronto, ON

said by ubi21:

I got upgraded to 45/7 from 32/7. I'm in the Thornhill area.

[att=1]

Aren't you suppose to get 4mbps not 7?

yyzlhr

join:2012-09-03
Scarborough, ON
kudos:4

4mbps is the regular tier available to everyone. Those who live in areas that are compatible with higher upstream tiers and have those product codes on their account will get 7mbps with extreme plus.

spaz

join:2008-02-20
Guelph, ON
reply to Aaerox

Got my spedz in Guelph today

fspilot

join:2002-03-19
Scarborough, ON
reply to Aaerox

Got mine upgraded to 45/7 from 32/7 in Scarborough.

eeeaddict

join:2010-02-14
reply to BliZZardX

there isn't pricing info because it is free (though what happens if you go over?)

matradley
Premium
join:2003-07-03
Ontario
reply to Aaerox

My area (Alta Vista and Industrial in Ottawa) must be congested or going through a change. I am able to get close to the new 4mbit profile, but my download profile is swinging wildly between 20 and 32mbits.

BarrieAnon

@rogers.com
reply to Aaerox

Just restarted the modem and got the new speeds in Barrie.

resa1983
Premium
join:2008-03-10
North York, ON
kudos:10
reply to resa1983

said by fspilot:

I'm on Extreme Plus with the 32Mbps download and 7Mbps upload speeds. I called Rogers to see if my upload speeds would be lowered to 4Mbps with the new 45Mbps download speed on Dec 1st. The CSR indicated to me that my speeds won't be changing to the new download/upload speeds. I will be keeping the current speeds as a 'grandfathered' package. If I want to take advantage of the new 45Mbps download speeds I would be then lowered to the 4Mbps upload speed.

Or not... Called tonight, and asked about the "HU" code, and was told it was available where I'm moving, and that I can get the boost from 4mbps to 7mbps if I asked for it, for free. Definitely not being grandfathered.
--
Battle.net Tech Support MVP

elitefx

join:2011-02-14
London, ON
reply to BarrieAnon

said by BarrieAnon :

Thanks. Rebooting just got me the new speeds in London.

dvn

join:2007-04-29
Waterloo, ON
reply to Aaerox

Just called rogers to see if I could get my 75/2 plan updated to 75/10 and was told Kitchener/Waterloo wasn't scheduled to get these upgrades? Is that correct and I'm stuck with 2 up? I guess I'll have to wait til dec 1st...

madzor

@rogers.com
reply to elitefx

said by elitefx:

said by BarrieAnon :

Same here in Kitchener tonight (extreme plus):

ViSkY

join:2011-03-16
canada
reply to Aaerox

Hi,

For those who went from 32/7 to 45/7, what is your current cap? 150gb? 170gb?

I contacted Rogers through live chat a few days ago and asked why am I on 45/4 and not 45/7 like others and they said its a whole new package for $5 more and extra 20gb.

nesburf

@rogers.com
reply to Aaerox

nothing yet in waterloo

dvn

Waterloo, ON
reply to madzor

said by madzor :

said by elitefx:

said by BarrieAnon :

Same here in Kitchener tonight (extreme plus):

Geez. Here's my 75/2 in waterloo.

aibojk

join:2004-05-25
Richmond Hill, ON
reply to ViSkY

45/7 150GB

»www.speedtest.net/result/2310861174.png

said by ViSkY:

Hi,

I contacted Rogers through live chat a few days ago and asked why am I on 45/4 and not 45/7 like others and they said its a whole new package for $5 more and extra 20gb.

elitefx

London, ON

2 edits
reply to dvn

said by dvn:

Geez. Here's my 75/2 in waterloo.

Rogers probably will be tweaking the system over the next little while. My Express is a bit low on the download but the upload is a massive improvement. Can't complain.

Been following the Teksavvy forum and they're in a world of hurt over there. Regular Outages everywhere. Rough go if you need rock solid Internet.

Beermage

@rogers.com
reply to ViSkY

said by ViSkY:

Hi,

There are 6 different package for Extreme Plus. For 45/7 with 150 GB you would need to have WHUK added.

Package: Extreme Plus
Price: $71.99
D/L: 45 Mbps
U/L: 4 Mbps
Allowance: 150 GB
Code: W25A

Package: Extreme Plus with HU
Price: $71.99
U/L: 7 Mbps
Allowance: 150 GB
Code: WHUK

Package: Extreme Plus with 20 GB UA
Price: $76.99
Allowance: 170 GB
Code: WUAP

Package: Extreme Plus with HU and 20 GB UA
Price: $76.99
Allowance: 170 GB
Code: WUAV

Package: Extreme Plus with 80 GB UA
Price: $91.99
Allowance: 230 GB
Code: WUAI

Package: Extreme Plus with HU and 80 GB UA
Price: $91.99
Allowance: 230 GB
Code: WUAU

Ree

h0h0h0
kudos:1
Reviews:
·Start Communicat..

1 edit
reply to Aaerox

Looks like new speeds are active in Brantford now too. Just "downgraded" from 75/2 to 45/4

Live chat says no 45/7 yet though

elitefx

London, ON

2 edits

said by Ree:

Just "downgraded" from 75/2 to 45/4

IMHO 75/2, 75/10, 150/10 are for multi user households and that 1% that truly need all that ethernet horsepower......... don't know why Rogers doesn't offer a 250/125 tier that maxes out these theoretical 300/150mbps 8x4 D3 Gateways.

Apparently, Rogers states in their latest CRTC submission that 2/3's of their residential internet customers are still using D2 modems with corresponding D2 speed packages. Go figure............

technocar2

join:2009-05-29
Brampton, ON

2 edits

250/125 would be unrealistic if a node only has about 304/108 shared by 400-500 houses with possibly 50% or more subs with TPIA, which gives around 250+ modems and a ton of e-MTAs as well (RHP).

Lets consider upload speed first.
250+ modems have to share 108mbps as of now. Rogers used to sell at 7% of total node upload speed for the highest tier (which meant 2mbps because only 1 upload channel of 27mbps). Now with 108mbps (4 up channels) they have a ~10% rate, with means 10mbps for the highest tier. If rogers didn't maintain this rate YOU would be first person here to complain about "slow speed" and "degraded internet experience". Trust me its absolutely necessary to have this low rate because each modem gets a very very very small time slot to upload stuff to the node. If said modem wanted to upload at 108mbps that would take too much of the time slot hence other modems won't get upload time slots in a timely manner, then people would whine and complain of "slow speeds" and "super high latency". If there was only one modem on the node then and only then would 108mbps upload would be feasible because that one modem can have all time slots. As more modems and e-MTAs come online each modem's time slot gets smaller and smaller. Hence rogers has to maintain a 7-10% ratio. Until you learn how docsis works you will NEVER be able to appreciate what rogers is trying to accomplish here.

Now lets look at download speed.
250+ modems have to share 304mbps. Let say I get that 250mpbs tier and I want to download at 250mbps and I fire up my torrent client and set up my connections to 1000 connection and I'm able to get 300 seeds and downloading at 250mbps for let say a 15GB distro on a private tracker. Everything is fine, in fact its sunny outside and its a Tuesday afternoon thus no other modem noticed that one modem hogged 82% of the node because hardly anyone was using their internet.

Now what happens if I did the same thing on Friday/Saturday/Sunday evening when everyone is using their internet. If one modem get 250mbps then the rest only get 54mbps, that won't happen because of QoS since my 250mbps will go down to 100-150mbps as 200mbps will be used by other modems. Thus rogers has to maintain 150mbps because anything higher will degrade performance for the higher tiers during peak time. It all comes down to, if I'm paying for 250mbps then I want 250mbps 24/7 but that can't happen but 150mbps can happen 24/7 more often then not. Thus 150mbps it is!

Again, until you learn how all this works you will never appreciate docsis for what its worth.