dnoyeB
Ferrous Phallus
join:2000-10-09
Southfield, MI

dnoyeB

Is this legal DNS Query?

Click for full size
failed query
As I understand it, the checksum in UDP packets is optional. So why are these queries being ignored??
HELLFIRE
MVM
join:2009-11-25

HELLFIRE

MVM

Guessing you're referring to frames 921, 937 and 947 in your sniffer capture where 192.168.0.102 asks
192.168.0.1 what the IP address of www.fitbit.com is? I guess my question at this point is does your
sniffer capture ever return a response from anyone for an IP address of www.fitbit.com at all or not?

I'm really rusty on my DNS so I'd have to do a bit of refresher reading into this.

Regards
Bink
Villains... knock off all that evil
join:2006-05-14
Colorado

2 edits

Bink to dnoyeB

to dnoyeB
Taking a quick glance, I don’t readily see anything off. That said, checksums are rarely disabled, so this is peculiar, and your transaction IDs are sequential, which is bad from a DNS security standpoint, so this is another red flag.
cramer
Premium Member
join:2007-04-10
Raleigh, NC
Westell 6100
Cisco PIX 501

1 recommendation

cramer

Premium Member

It's a stupid fitbit, so security isn't on the roadmap.

My guess... whatever 0.1 is doesn't like the "no checksum" udp packets. Technically, that would be a *bad* checksum, and the OS may drop it. All of my linux boxes will.

dnoyeB
Ferrous Phallus
join:2000-10-09
Southfield, MI

1 edit

dnoyeB

If I do a nslookup the computer will send a DNS request for www.fitbit.com with a proper checksum. This gets treated properly. Its when there is no checksum that things get strange.

I have resolved the issue down to my Zyxel USG. It seems to be confused by the lack of a checksum. I think its not opening a session, or prematurely closing it. The DNS reply appears on the WAN side, but the firewall tosses it out and sends the DNS server an ICMP saying it can't find the host...
dnoyeB

dnoyeB

The DNS query without the checksum is treated equally by the DNS servers. Its not the lack of checksum that was the problem. The device that was sending the request also has a bad habit of not responding to ARP requests.