Search Topic:
uniqs
share rss forum feed

Smokeshow
Premium
join:2009-02-26
Cold Lake, AB

Which Splicer To Buy?

Hey guys. We are in the market for another fusion splicer. I have tasked with picking out the unit we will purchase. Currently we have a corning optisplice one which works really well for a fixed v-grove machine, but I would like a core alignment splicer this time.

What would you guys recommend? I am leaning towards the Fujikura FSM-60S based on feedback I've heard from other users (Who may have used nothing but Fuji products). We have had fairly good luck with Corning, so the M90e is still on my list (although it looks to be quite a bit more money than the Fuji...)

Thanks for any input

Killa200
Premium
join:2005-12-02
Southeast TN

1 edit
The FSM series is pretty well the workhorse of the mass splicing community. Take a look at youtube and you'll see how well the thing operates when setup.

Smokeshow
Premium
Cold Lake, AB
reply to Smokeshow
I was assuming that pricing would lead me to choose the Fuji over the Corning, but I just got pricing back from a few suppliers, and I can get an M90E for the same price as the FSM-60S (Right about $15K for the complete kit). Now I have a tough choice to make.

Pros:

Corning Optisplice M90E
-We are already familiar with corning splicers, so less training would be required, and our guys could go back and forth between splicers more easily.
-The LID system seems very nice
-Seems to have a better carrying case (Pelican vs what looks like a toolbox)

Fujikura FSM-60S
-Seems to be the industry standard
-I like the look of the cleaver better than the Corning

Tough call. I was leaning towards the Fuji based on price & the fact that it is the industry standard, but now I find myself leaning more towards the Corning.

I will make my decision next week. Any other input is much appreciated.

LightSpan
Premium
join:2004-02-18
Lexington, KY
I use the fsm 60r. My company gets them from afl. I have used it everyday for 2 years, and only had to replace electrodes every 1100 burns.I went from a corning to fuji and never looked back.I do allot of IOF (inter office Fiber).Most fiber runs are large 288 all the way up to 864's.If i really push the 60r i can do two 288 ribbon straight splices in and 8 hr day.
Expand your moderator at work

Optic Nerve

join:2012-12-27
Glendale, AZ
reply to Smokeshow

Re: Which Splicer To Buy?

I've used Corning, Fuji, and Fitel... The Fuji 60S was my workhorse for the last couple years, but I Demo'd an INNO IFS-10, and I haven't looked back. Price was great, Unit is VERY tough. Splices faster, and I replace electrodes less often... All around better buy. Got it from efibertools. (They also made me a sweet deal on electrodes and cleaver blades, plus my splicer came with a cleaver, cleaning kit, strippers, and sleeves.)

You can't go wrong with the Fujikura. I'm just sayin'... I'm stoked with my new INNO IFS-10.

LightSpan
Premium
join:2004-02-18
Lexington, KY
Did inno come out with a ribbon splicer yet?
Expand your moderator at work

Smokeshow
Premium
Cold Lake, AB
reply to Smokeshow

Re: Which Splicer To Buy?

Ended up going with a Sumitomo Quantum Type-Q101-CA after quite a bit of research, and a little bit of hands on with a type-66 & fsm-60s. Our unit just came in today & I'm hoping to get some time this week to give it a trial run before I get it out in the field. I am, so far, very impressed with the overall build quality, and the size of the unit. Much smaller than I anticipated!

Smokeshow
Premium
Cold Lake, AB
reply to Smokeshow
I finally got a chance to play around with the new splice kit on Friday. All I can say is wow! Night and day better than the Corning! I love the clever with its built in scrap collector. This thing is going to save a ton of time & headaches!

Jeps

@bredbandsbolaget.se
said by Smokeshow:

I finally got a chance to play around with the new splice kit on Friday. All I can say is wow! Night and day better than the Corning! I love the clever with its built in scrap collector. This thing is going to save a ton of time & headaches!

Am i the only one that really likes the S178??