birdbrain
Premium Member
join:2000-12-03
Brandon, FL
ARRIS DG1670

pcdebb

Premium Member

[WIN8] my first gripe

apparently some updates got pushed down onto the laptop and it wanted to reboot. the choices: reboot or close. I chose "close" because I was in the middle of something. 5 minutes later, i'm rebooted anyway. I'm so pissed right now
BlitzenZeus
Burnt Out Cynic
Premium Member
join:2000-01-13

BlitzenZeus

Premium Member

Simple turn off automatic installation, and change it to manual, however you will likely be annoyed that it wants you to update the definitions for defender even if they claim it can update itself. I just check every second tuesday manually.

Too many users even with automatic installation were not rebooting at all, and they did this to make sure those people who kept putting off rebooting to finish the updates actually got them. Blame the users who ignorantly left their machines in this state for days to months waiting to reboot to finish updating the operating system.

plencnerb
Premium Member
join:2000-09-25
53403-1242

plencnerb to pcdebb

Premium Member

to pcdebb
BlitzenZeus See Profile is correct.

While the article below does not come out and specifically mention your issue, there is a new feature in Windows 8 that if you have automatic updates on, and you choose to not reboot, it will do so for you after 72 hours.

»www.engadget.com/2011/11 ··· -72-hou/

So to avoid that problem, just turn off automatic updates and manually check. Microsoft's patch schedule is always the 2nd Tuesday of the month around 10 AM PST. Of course, out-of-band patches and updates can (and have been) released on other days, so it does not hurt to check a few more times each month. But, these out-of-band patches don't happen that often.

--Brian

pcdebb
birdbrain
Premium Member
join:2000-12-03
Brandon, FL

pcdebb

Premium Member

I usually have the auto update turned off, guess I need to find it. Whatever update came tho, things seems a little sluggish