how-to block ads

Search Topic:
uniqs
share rss forum feed

rblizz

join:2001-12-16
North Richland Hills, TX
reply to verix

Re: Back to worst-case-scenario to start with!

said by verix:

said by Iscream:

Callcentric is 100% redundant locally, in all possible means - lines, equipment, databases, etc., but is NOT multi-site'd - it doesn't have geographical redundancy.

I look forward to the upcoming blog post/e-mail notice/press release/whatever before I decide on further action. Sorry this storm was unprecedented and that there may be budgetary reasons for your infrastructure. But, we need our lines.

It was no secret that CallCentric had one server location. It's been discussed here several times.

verix

join:2004-12-30
Oakland, CA

2 recommendations

said by rblizz:

It was no secret that CallCentric had one server location. It's been discussed here several times.

I check this forum quite often and had no idea that CC had one server location until this event. Don't make assumptions of what people know.

rblizz

North Richland Hills, TX
said by verix:

[I check this forum quite often and had no idea that CC had one server location until this event. Don't make assumptions of what people know.

I like to know who I'm dealing with. One of CallCentric's big selling points was that it was on the same electrical grid as the NYSE.

From their promotional material ...

quote:
"CallCentric retail is backed by the resources of CallCentric Wholesale----

"Callcentric Wholesale, Inc. (parent of Callcentric) owns and operates its own TDM/SS7 network interconnected with major (as well as small ones) carriers, networks and voice exchanges....

"Callcentric Wholesale is also an ARIN registered ISP, operating its own IP network blocks and exchanging BGP-4 routing information with most ISP backbones (also nationally and internationally) via its own managed fiber optical network thus guarantying the best IP packet delivery to virtually anywhere in the world....

"We're NOT co-located with any providers - we operate our own data-center (with all underlying infrastructure, under 24x7 video surveillance) with redundant air-conditioning and AC power-plants; our dual-redundant AC sources reside on the same AC power grid with NY stock exchange (which is just across Broadway from us). In fact, we provide co-location, IP and TDM connection as well as origination and termination services to many international operators....."
Can you name the last time the NY Stock Exchange's electrical grid went down? I can't.

Besant

@uwaterloo.ca
reply to verix
said by verix:

said by rblizz:

I check this forum quite often and had no idea that CC had one server location until this event.

I did not know that either. All I recall is seeing 'redundant' in CC's description of its servers and assumed the redundant servers were geographically remote from the main ones.

For me it is not important: I use CC as a backup and have no DID with them; but if I had a business I would give them a wide berth until the day that real redundancy is finally in their budget.

fukitol
Solon for President
Premium
join:2001-06-11
PonziWorld

1 recommendation

Yeah, I don't buy the "it happened to a whole bunch of others, too" BULLSHIT. I don't give a flying fuck if a whole bunch of other companies didn't build a properly redundant network, either. If I ever used an excuse like that for bad behavior when I was growing up, my parents would ask me, "Well, if your friends jumped off a bridge, would you do it too?" I certainly hope that no one needed the E911 service for which they paid extra to CC over the past month. Oh, and where are the refunds? Hmm?
--
Vote Lucifer in 2012. It's real change you can believe in!
The truth is that the State is a conspiracy designed not only to exploit, but above all to corrupt its citizens. - Tolstoy

rblizz

North Richland Hills, TX
said by fukitol:

Yeah, I don't buy the "it happened to a whole bunch of others, too" BULLSHIT. I don't give a flying fuck if a whole bunch of other companies didn't build a properly redundant network, either. If I ever used an excuse like that for bad behavior when I was growing up, my parents would ask me, "Well, if your friends jumped off a bridge, would you do it too?" I certainly hope that no one needed the E911 service for which they paid extra to CC over the past month. Oh, and where are the refunds? Hmm?

You know, I really don't give a flying fuck about what you don't give a flying fuck about. The narrow-minded, self contentedness here is beginning to piss me off. CallCentric never claimed to have geographic redundancy. Not once. Not ever. And it's not "bad behavior" not to have what they never advertised. What they always claimed was that their server farm was on the same electrical grid as the New York Stock Exchange. How often has the power gone out to the NYSE in the last thirty years? This is an extremely rare event and a once in a century storm. But stuff like this happens (rarely), regardless of how much posturing and huffing and puffing armchair quarterbacks spit out after the fact. And the reason the problems that the other companies are having is important to note, is because it this is a point of reference to show the scale of this storm and the damage it caused. It looks like the obvious is falling on deaf ears.

madjeff

join:2005-04-30
united state
kudos:1

1 edit

5 recommendations

said by rblizz:

You know, I really don't give a flying fuck about what you don't give a flying fuck about. The narrow-minded, self contentedness here is beginning to piss me off. CallCentric never claimed to have geographic redundancy. Not once. Not ever.

You know, it's great that you are a die-hard CC fan. I get it. Good for you, I've been one as well. If you are happy with them, no one is forcing you to change.

However, there are those of us that use CC for more than a 1-line hobby for their home phone. Some of us also recommend it to clients that need their phones to conduct business. We have reputations to keep with clients. Luckily in my case most of my clients have backup POTS or redundant VOIP providers, because that's the way I set them up if they cannot afford to have downtime. Some don't need the redundancy, so while this outage was irritating, it was not something that was going to put them out of business.

No one (at least not me) is saying that what happened with Sandy was not a huge uncontrollable issue. Most disasters are. That's why companies have disaster recovery plans in the first place, to mitigate the impact of these sort of uncontrollable events. Is it my fault I didn't dig further on the claims of redundancy? Absolutely, and I take full responsibility of that. I (and others) have learned that Callcentric has a different definition of redundant than a lot of us. I know for me that is a lesson learned, and in the future I will be a lot more skeptical of the claim of redundancy in the future.

I'm not going to sit here and debate with the die-hard apologists any more, it's a moot point. Nothing I or anyone else says is going to change your point of view, and that's fine. The only people I really want to hear from is Callcentric. Once things calm down and they've had a chance to take a deep breath, as a paying customer and someone that has recommended their service to many others in my line of work I want some explanations if I am going to continue to be a customer. Ignoring the dead horse issue that is the redundancy, I want to hear more on the following:

- Why was there little notice that service was going down? A simple email to all customers prior to the server shutdowns explaining that power was lost and service would be disrupted? Luckily I have systems in place to monitor up/down status, otherwise my only notification would have been clients calling about not having phones.

- Why no continuing updates? A twitter post from anyone sitting in a starbucks outside the affected area would have been helpful. No updates to customers for 10-12 hours at a time really left us in the dark. No pun intended. A simple website thrown up anywhere with a simple status update page would have taken less than an hour to setup. The lack of communications was extremely disappointing.

I have a feeling the next few days are really going to make or break Callcentric. I can only speak for me, but the way they communicate to their customers over the next few days is going to decide if they are a company I trust, use and recommend in the future.

fukitol
Solon for President
Premium
join:2001-06-11
PonziWorld
Hear hear, madjeff See Profile.

skytom

join:2012-10-18
Northampton, MA

1 recommendation

reply to madjeff
Spot on madjeff. Wished what Iscream recently posted to this board, was posted on Twitter and their non-functioning website. Callcentric must provide a comprehensive plan. We are still awaiting an email with regard to the DDoS attacks; fluid posts on their website's dashboard fails to provide the same. They promised greater transparency, but have yet to act on it.

This is not budget-constrained, but ideology-based.