join:2003-02-10

3 edits

Baud1200 to ilianame

to ilianame

Re: [BC] Will my download decrease if I drop from 20 plan to 10

said by ilianame:

Dual and Raven,

This may be subjective,
but from my observations, when matching the plan to the average "possible" speed, I did notice a decrease in download speed for lower plans.

I.E. with 25Mbit I'd be getting 7.5, with 10mbit same modem, same building, I'd be getting 6.5-7.

This may be somehow related to upload overhead (shouldn't mathematically)

Again, this is subjective, and I've always been a proponent of matching Shaw plan to physical observed average (as noted in my 2008 review)

Also, my opinion is regarding DOCSIS 2.0 network on SB5120; I have not noticed anything of that nature with DOCSIS 3.0 SMC set ups.

I have had the Unlimited 250 now for almost half a year. To date the best download I have ever seen outside the speedtest.shaw.ca website is 12MB/sec. period.
I keep the package based on the upload speed and unlimited bandwidth, nothing more. Even this is increasingly hard to do now as the node is getting loaded up they are enforcing literally every form of p2p throttling they can, so this almost negates any difference you have between 5 and 15Mbit uploads in therms of p2p. Wasting my money the past 2 months as its worse than ever.
dazman09
join:2010-10-28

dazman09

said by Baud1200:

said by ilianame:

Dual and Raven,

This may be subjective,
but from my observations, when matching the plan to the average "possible" speed, I did notice a decrease in download speed for lower plans.

I.E. with 25Mbit I'd be getting 7.5, with 10mbit same modem, same building, I'd be getting 6.5-7.

This may be somehow related to upload overhead (shouldn't mathematically)

Again, this is subjective, and I've always been a proponent of matching Shaw plan to physical observed average (as noted in my 2008 review)

Also, my opinion is regarding DOCSIS 2.0 network on SB5120; I have not noticed anything of that nature with DOCSIS 3.0 SMC set ups.

I have had the Unlimited 250 now for almost half a year. To date the best download I have ever seen outside the speedtest.shaw.ca website is 12MB/sec. period.
I keep the package based on the upload speed and unlimited bandwidth, nothing more. Even this is increasingly hard to do now as the node is getting loaded up they are enforcing literally every form of p2p throttling they can, so this almost negates any difference you have between 5 and 15Mbit uploads in therms of p2p. Wasting my money the past 2 months as its worse than ever.

Uhh, 12MB/sec would roughly equate to a 100mbit network card cap.. are you connecting to your modem with a 100mbit port speed? I'd check that. Most consumer routers still only have 100mbit ports. Also note many consumer grade routers can only do 40-70mbit (when doing NAT/SPI) so you'd want to find a router certified to NAT/SPI over 250mbit to actually get those speeds.

100mbit/8=12.5megs/sec and the half meg would cover much of the overhead..