No-BHELL-ity DOES have its Advantages
Premium
join:2009-06-15
START Today!
kudos:7

4 edits

1 recommendation

reply to rblizz

Re: Back to worst-case-scenario to start with!

said by rblizz:

said by verix:

Condolences to everyone affected by Sandy, but why should people nowhere near it have to suffer? What about the businesses in CA that have lines with CC?

....it could have been a hell of a lot worse for CallCentric customers.

OR a lot BETTER, if their skinflint absentee owner(s) had kicked in the bucks to set up either a 2nd server farm in another city, or rent from at least one landlord who provides a proper generator - or do BOTH of these things.

Iscream was treading a fne line a few posts ago, when he spoke of budgetary constraints. - He also has his job to consider. - HE knows what it would take to make this right for the next time.

rblizz

join:2001-12-16
North Richland Hills, TX
said by Davesnothere:

OR, a lot BETTER, if their skinflint owner(s) kicked in the bucks to set up either a 2nd server farm in another city, or rent from at least one landlord who provides a proper generator - or do BOTH of these things.

If a company with a second server farm is important to you, then by all means, look for one -- I thought you already had moved on. Personally I don't care. I know how extremely rare an extended electrical outage is in lower Manhattan and especially one involving the New York Stock Exchange's grid. I don't expect another "storm of the century" to happen any time soon -- so I'm quite willing to "take my chances."

Davesnothere
No-BHELL-ity DOES have its Advantages
Premium
join:2009-06-15
START Today!
kudos:7

2 edits

1 recommendation

said by rblizz:

If a company with a second server farm is important to you, then by all means, look for one -- I thought you already had moved on. Personally I don't care. I know how extremely rare an extended electrical outage is in lower Manhattan and especially one involving the New York Stock Exchange's grid. I don't expect another "storm of the century" to happen any time soon -- so I'm quite willing to "take my chances."

IMNSHO, this is NOT about 'Playing the Odds'.

It's about customer service - at ALL levels of the operation, including planning and investment.

Below is part of what I said to someone yesturday in an IM :
quote:
I indeed AM angry that a company which is so professional in SO many other ways - can leave themselves WIDE open for such an epic fail in this regard.

One thing that this particular debacle illustrates and drives home - is the need for an even greater sophistication of process in doing our 'due diligence' when choosing a VoIP provider than most of us ever thought, as one poster [you, I believe] suggested to me.

I continue to have a lot of respect for CallCentric as a company - just not about THIS event's handling.

= = = = = = =

And BTW, in response to your reply to another poster :

What it would take to make ME shut my pie hole would be an open public announcement from Callcentric management that they COULD have done better if they had handled this event like VOIP.MS did in the same city, and what they will be doing in the next few months to CATCH UP with those CANUCKS in that regard.

rblizz

join:2001-12-16
North Richland Hills, TX

1 edit
said by Davesnothere:

This is not about 'Playing the Odds'.

It's about customer service - at ALL levels of the operation, including planning and investment.

I'm happy with the quality of service CallCentric has provided to me and I'm happy with their single server farm and the server redundancy they have there. It's not "playing the odds" -- the odds are in CallCentric's favor in my opinion. Until the DDoS attack and this storm, I've been blissfully using CallCentric and noting other provider's outages -- especially issues that seem to plague one of the companies that has multiple servers. Redundancy is nice, but it appears it can also introduce a whole new set of complications that can impact reliability.

You should also note "take my chances" was in quotes. In other words, I really don't think of it as taking a chance.