Maybe a custom site like CyberPowerPC, iBuyPower, XoticPC, Falcon Northwest, etc. (I know I am forgetting some) could help, as you can customize almost anything and everything.
I would suggest a 17" laptop capable of holding two drives internally (at least a 120 GB SSD + a 750GB/1TB 7200rpm data HDD). Go for a modest GPU but splurge on 16GB of ram and a good, four-core Ivy Bridge i7 CPU (3000 series, not the 2000 series).
Photoshop gobbles ram and could definitely benefit from a spacious SSD as a scratch disk.
Example: For $1264.88
you can outfit a Sager NP6175 / Clevo W170ER
with the following:
• 17.3" FHD 16:9 "Glare Type" Super Clear Ultra Bright LED Glossy Screen (1920x1080)
• 3rd Generation Intel Ivy Bridge Core i7-3630QM (2.4GHz - 3.4GHz, 6MB Intel Smart Cache, 45W Max TDP)
• nVidia GT 650M 1024MB PCI-Express GDDR5 DX11 with Optimus Technology
• 16GB RAM - DDR3 1600MHz Dual Channel Memory (2 SODIMMS)
• SSD: 120gb Intel 520 Series Solid State Drive (SSD2 Serial-ATA III)
• HDD: 750gb 7200rpm (Serial-ATA II 300 - 16MB Cache)
• ODD: Combo Dual Layer SuperMulti DVDRW/CDRW Drive w/ Software
• Built-in 802.11 Wireless B/G/N - Stock Wireless Card + Bluetoothâ¢ v3.0
• Windows 7 Home Premium 64-Bit (64&32-Bit CD Included (Supports up to 16GB of RAM)) + MS Office Starter 2010
You can easily get carried away and spend a whole lot more, but given the 17" form factor with multiple internal drives, I think it would be harder to get similar specs for cheaper.--
If we lose this freedom of ours, history will record with the greatest astonishment, those who had the most to lose, did the least to prevent its happening.