uniqs
88615298 (banned)
join:2004-07-28
West Tenness

88615298 (banned) to SLC 96

to SLC 96

Re: Taking a beating??

said by SLC 96:

Taking a beating?? I think not having LTE is a feature. It's a cheaper phone and I can get it unlocked with the ability to move between carriers around the world as I please. Most importantly it is fully compatible with AT&T and T-Mobile's networks.

Well considering T-Mobile doesn't provide ANY service of any kind and my area. And At&t just now brought us 3G I call this phone total FAIL. Could have had me as a customer but not now. Google's loss.
Expand your moderator at work
elefante72
join:2010-12-03
East Amherst, NY

elefante72 to 88615298

to 88615298

Re: Taking a beating??

$300, unsub. There had to be some compromises made.

This phone was purposely made for the prepaid market and outside the US where people actually pay for the phone upfront. If you look at 2012 almost all of the subscriber growth came from the prepaid market. American Movil (Tracfone, Straighttalk, Net10) is now as big as Tmobile in subs--over 20 million. NONE of the prepaid vendors allow LTE, so this is purpose built. Outside of the US, LTE is a slow roll. We in the US think we are the only people on the planet. Outside of the US the iPhone isn't nearly as popular because people would have to plunk down over $600, whereas google comes in with a great product for half the price.

Also, if you buy this phone no carrier bloat, unlocked, consistent android experience, and actual updates and improvements.

In my hood, Tmobile tracks at 9Mbs and At&t 7Mbs. We also have cricket and MPCS. I would hardly call that ghetto. As all of the iphone folks move to LTE, watch those networks cough and HSPA rock.

Carrier are slowly starting to move away from subsidized phones, so if you need to plunk down $300 for a google phone or $600 for an iphone, watch AAPL stock.

If they put LTE radios in them, this would have made the price point too high, so they didn't AND they would have to kiss the carriers a$$ to get it qualified which could drag deployment 6 months.

This phone is a picture of the rapidly changing landscape with google trying to free their stuff from the carrier's control and bloatware.

Btw, if you don't have GSM coverage in your area, that's not Google's fault.

Eagles1221
join:2009-04-29
Vincentown, NJ

Eagles1221 to Anon

to Anon
I live in the boondocks and I have LTE from VZ and crummy ATT coverage and no Sprint or Tmo to speak of. Interestingly though there is a Wimax tower but very few Sprint phone can VoWimax
tired_runner
Premium Member
join:2000-08-25
CT

tired_runner to Anon

Premium Member

to Anon
^ This

T-Mobile delivers plenty fast HDSPA in NYC, and their MVNO's deliver the same blazin' fast speeds, though granted they're either capping or are only able to deliver 15/1 so far that I've seen.

bobjohnson
Premium Member
join:2007-02-03
Spartanburg, SC

bobjohnson

Premium Member

said by tired_runner:

^ This

T-Mobile delivers plenty fast HDSPA in NYC, and their MVNO's deliver the same blazin' fast speeds, though granted they're either capping or are only able to deliver 15/1 so far that I've seen.

In Orlando tethering with my Nokia that's limited to 14.4 I get 13/3 but on my friends mifi it's more like 30/5. So I guess it's just where you are.
88615298 (banned)
join:2004-07-28
West Tenness

88615298 (banned) to Anon

to Anon
said by ArrayList:

What's it like living in the middle of nowhere?

Just fine with my 4G LTE I get from Verizon.

ArrayList
DevOps
Premium Member
join:2005-03-19
Mullica Hill, NJ

ArrayList

Premium Member

and you pay out the ass for that LTE from Verizon

buddahbless
join:2005-03-21
Premium

1 recommendation

buddahbless to elefante72

to elefante72
I have to agree Google is targeting this phone to the prepaid and those out of contract market, LTE would be nice but not necessary.
TMO has also stated that even after there LTE deployment there will still be HSPA in place so this phone will still be usable, for how long not sure.

With the addition of all the MVNO in the US theres a lot to be had with the bring your own sim crowd. Not to mention the numbers were out as of spring 2012 that there are more prepaid accounts in the US now then postpaid, with prepaid not allowed currently on LTE there is no point to include LTE for this yrs model phone, especially since Verizon is the only North American company to have a decent LTE network. Apple had to go with an LTE model as there targeting Verizon postpaid customers and those customers would not survive or purchase without LTE now that Verizon has upgraded there network, If the iphone 5 was still on ATT only do you think there would have been A LTE radio built in , don't hold your breath on that.

Google still can make a bundle selling this phone in the US to: TMobile, ATT, TRACphone , Simple mobile, Walmart Mobile, Rogers wireless canada, Bell canada, Wind mobile canada, mobilicity canada, etc... So there not a shortage of buyers that will appreciate the $300 price tag. Also overseas LTE is slow to deploy so this phone will still be highly accepted in there market.

My only gripe is NO micro sd card port? that was my main turn off. Target the customers who have the lowest amount of data access available, so screw the cloud when your caped and throttled. Also The customers who can hardly stream due to various prepaid restrictions but leave them without the option to carry around there own 32gb of data on a micro card, that was the fail.
PastTense
join:2011-07-06
united state

PastTense

People expect to be able to keep the same phone for two years anyway. And two years from now all the major carriers are going to have decent LTE networks.

buddahbless
join:2005-03-21
Premium

buddahbless

Most will have a decent LTE in 2 yrs True but,

The majority will still have there HSPA networks in place as well. The one to go the way of the dodo in the next few years is standard GSM. even foreign countries ( the ones not interested in LTE anytime soon) are looking to ditch GSM in the near future and adopt HSPA as the ground floor standard.
djeremy
join:2004-07-12
San Francisco, CA

1 recommendation

djeremy to bobjohnson

to bobjohnson
»www.speedtest.net/androi ··· 8505.png

This is pretty normal for me on T-Mobile out here in San Francisco on my One S. And the fact that it's unlimited makes it even better. I usually average around 5GB a month in usage by the time my bill comes around. Then again, I never use WiFi because I want the $30 worth of data I pay for.

With those speeds, I don't really see the need for LTE just yet. Oh, and I will be purchasing a Nexus 4 directly from Google. Anyone want to buy like new a One S?
34764170 (banned)
join:2007-09-06
Etobicoke, ON

34764170 (banned) to ArrayList

to ArrayList
said by ArrayList:

and you pay out the ass for that LTE from Verizon

You can say that again! jesus christ.

djdanska
Rudie32
Premium Member
join:2001-04-21
San Diego, CA

djdanska to 88615298

Premium Member

to 88615298
said by 88615298:

said by SLC 96:

Taking a beating?? I think not having LTE is a feature. It's a cheaper phone and I can get it unlocked with the ability to move between carriers around the world as I please. Most importantly it is fully compatible with AT&T and T-Mobile's networks.

Well considering T-Mobile doesn't provide ANY service of any kind and my area. And At&t just now brought us 3G I call this phone total FAIL. Could have had me as a customer but not now. Google's loss.

So what is stopping you from buying it from the play store and using it on at&t 3g?? Nothing..

jap
Premium Member
join:2003-08-10
038xx

jap to buddahbless

Premium Member

to buddahbless
Thanks for the informative posts, buddahbless. Helps this not-so-phoney guy make sense of his upcoming smart phone purchase. The limited local storage option (no SDcard) might keep me away from Nexus 4.
Big Dawg 23
join:2002-03-27
Northfield, MN

Big Dawg 23 to 88615298

to 88615298
You live in the middle of nowhere and 100 Miles from a major city. Not sure why you after to point out the same thing over and over. Its Tennessee country side so if I was a carrier it would be the last to get an update. T-Mo provides service to higher populated areas. Congrats to you and your LTE service. Verizon chose to provide LTE service to you while they pass over towns in Minnesota that are 10 times the size of your podunk city. In the end I could careless about LTE. Where ever I go in the Midwest AT&T is far better than VZW and my HSPA+ hangs with there LTE. In cities where LTE is cover by VZW and AT&T, AT&T is faster in my experience. I have a VZW MIFI LTE Spot and GNote on AT&T.

As for you fail comment, you are clueless about mobile devices. GSM is globally supported unlike VZW and Sprint CDMA. There are a lot of people on AT&T and T-Mo that buy international global GSM devices unlocked to get a pure form of the phone as it was meant to be versus bloatware VZW provides. Yep Verizon is so good they kept the G Nexus from getting Jelly Bean for a long time. Google is smart to do what they are doing. There will be a lot of people who buy this phone because of the low cost and NO Contract.