uniqs
share rss forum feed

bcool
Premium
join:2000-08-25
The Ozarks

2 edits

[FireFox] Firefox 15.01 stopped prompting to save new passwords

Would anyone be kind of enough to suggest top 3 reasons why Firefox would---out of the clear blue--- stop prompting to save new passwords on sites? Would I see this glitch clear up by moving to 16.0.2? Please.

NOTE:

1.) Behavior persists in Safemode
2.) correct setting is checked in OPTIONS!
3.) Site(s) in question are NOT listed in Exceptions
4.) Even deleted signons.sqlite as desperate measure, no joy
5.) No "private" browsing feature(s) enabled. None!

nwrickert
sand groper
Premium,MVM
join:2004-09-04
Geneva, IL
kudos:7

Re: [FireFox] Firefox 15.01 stopped prompting to save new passwo

Some sites disable this.

I am still seeing prompting, except from sites that disable it.

bcool
Premium
The Ozarks
Thanks...I wish it were that simple. The feature has stopped working altogether, I'm afraid.

nwrickert
sand groper
Premium,MVM
Geneva, IL
Try creating a new firefox profile, and see if it works there.

bcool
Premium
The Ozarks
it did not even work in safemode...does that tell me anything? I guess a new profile would settle the matter. Will let you know.
Thanks.
--
"in flagrante delicto"

bcool
Premium
The Ozarks
reply to bcool

[FireFox] Firefox 15.01 stopped prompting to save new passwords

safemode and new profile = no joy.

The only thing I haven't tried is to go to 16.0.2 which logically shouldn't make a difference......

This kind of stuff drives me nuts.

Thanks anyway.
--
"in flagrante delicto"

bcool
Premium
The Ozarks
reply to bcool
OK HERE IS THE ANSWER:

It is in fact a change that many websites have made which blocks autocomplete feature and therefore Firefox not triggered to ask about saving password. Of course I never save passwords to sensitive financial institutions anyhow...but for silly harmless websites that require login, this is plain inconvenient. So far I've been able to defeat their effort with "Password Saver" bookmarklet which overrides the block autocomplete and once again Firefox pops up with option to save password. This is good enough for the time being.

Sorry I didn't figure this out sooner. You were right all along....
FYI
--
"in flagrante delicto"

nwrickert
sand groper
Premium,MVM
Geneva, IL
Reviews:
·AT&T U-Verse

Re: [FireFox] Firefox 15.01 stopped prompting to save new passwo

I am using the "Secure Login" extension. That allows me to fill in passwords, even for sites that turn this off.

I also use "Saved Password Editor" which allows me to save passwords for such sites.

Unlike you, I do keep banking passwords in firefox, though I have firefox encrypt them (with a master password).

In my opinion, having firefox keep the passwords is more secure - I wish the banks would understand that. If I am tricked by a phishing site that looks like the real bank site, then firefox will not fill in the password (even using "Secure Login"), because it keys the password to the specific site. If I am manually entering passwords, I can be more easily tricked.

I do, however, use a separate firefox profile for browsing. So when visiting sites such as dslr (for example), firefox does not have my banking passwords, since those are only available to a different profile.
--
AT&T Uverse; Zyxel NBG334W router (behind the 2wire gateway); openSuSE 12.2; firefox 16.0.2

bcool
Premium
The Ozarks
Unlike you, I'm still a little squeamish about storing bank passwords in Firefox. I've used another off-browser technique that has worked very well for me for years.

I'm grateful though to find out that the problem with not prompting for new passwords in not actually a problem with Firefox at all.

Thank you for your insight. Much obliged.
--
"in flagrante delicto"

MiNdErAsR
Dark Lord of Sriracha

join:2000-11-25
reply to bcool
Under Options: Privacy; History; if "Never Remember History" is selected, Firefox will not prompt you to save passwords.

andyross
Premium,MVM
join:2003-05-04
Schaumburg, IL
reply to bcool
said by bcool:

Unlike you, I'm still a little squeamish about storing bank passwords in Firefox.

I've noticed many sites now separate the login and password prompts onto two pages. That prevents the auto-login from working.
Expand your moderator at work