uniqs
share rss forum feed

epsilon3

join:2008-03-29
canada
reply to dfs4

Re: Which ISP

The way you ask the question...the answer is "yes"

Now, when you ask questions and waiting for a pertinent answers, you should mention:

- province
- want DSL or Cable
- do you have a Bell landline
- speed you are looking for
- how much usage you expect to have (around)

dfs4

@bell.ca
Forgot to include the details.

Ontario(Toronto)
preferrably dsl since cable is more expensive and also I don't have a phone line so it would probably be a dry dsl or something.
I don't know what landline I have but I have used teksavvy, velcom before in the same apartment.
speeds should be around 5-6mb which are standard
usage, I mean I watch some video streams but don't know how much gbs that would use up. so 100-200GB to start with.

jasmo34

join:2008-03-20
London, ON
I would also recommend Start (DSL and Cable). Also take a look at Teksavvy (DSL and Cable), and Electronic Box (DSL).

And of course, there is this resource to check for more...
»www.canadianisp.ca/cgi-bin/ispse···rch&p=ON

bt

join:2009-02-26
canada
kudos:1
reply to dfs4
said by dfs4:

preferrably dsl since cable is more expensive

At the download speeds you want, cable is very likely cheaper. Especially compared to dry DSL.

Teksavvy 6M DSL/75GB Cap: $30 + dry loop fees ($7.25 or more)
Teksavvy 6M Cable/25GB Cap: $25

Teksavvy 6M DSL/300GB Cap: $35 + dry loop fees ($7.25 or more)
Teksavvy 6M Cable/300GB Cap: $31

Teksavvy 6M DSL/No Cap: $46 + dry loop fees ($7.25 or more)
Teksavvy 6M Cable/No Cap: $41

The only downsides:
-the upload speed: 6M cable has a 256K upload speed, 6M DSL has a 800K upload speed
-TSI's low end cap on 6M cable: 25GB vs 75GB (and off-peak usage not counting) on DSL

And that's just Teksavvy vs Teksavvy, not even looking at the other providers out there. Start.ca's 6M cable offers at 100GB and unlimited usage match TSI's 6M DSL pricing for 75GB and 300GB (without the dry loop fees).

dfs4

join:2012-11-01
Sounds good if I have to avoid dry loop fees. So "TekSavvy Lite 7
Up to Down 7 Mbps / 800 Kbps Up"(cable) is the choice I am looking at right now. With taxes it should come up to $35 or something.. what do you guys think? also is there a set up fee and how about the modem? do they rent or have to buy it?

bt

canada
said by dfs4:

Sounds good if I have to avoid dry loop fees.

Even if you don't - between Start.ca and Teksavvy, there is always a cable option that is the same price or cheaper.

said by dfs4:

"TekSavvy Lite 7 Up to Down 7 Mbps / 800 Kbps Up"(cable) is the choice I am looking at right now.

Pretty sure that's a Cogeco-based cable product, and only available in Chatham at the moment. Cable 6, Cable 18 and Cable 28 are your options from Teksavvy in Rogers areas.

dfs4

I just ordered teksavvy cable 6 300GB plan. It is not as good as I expected there is a $55 activation fee and I have to pay $75 for the modem taxes not included. I have a webstar modem but they said that is not compatible with their service. So it sucks.. pretty costly for the first month and activation date is more than a week away.

bt

canada
It would have been similar for DSL if you don't already have a DSL modem.

dfs4

Yeah I asked and he said the DSL would be the same with activation fee and modem fee and I don't have a dsl modem. It is a webstar(DPC2100R2) cable modem.

JCohen
Premium
join:2010-10-19
Nepean, ON
kudos:12
Reviews:
·Start Communicat..
·TekSavvy Cable
·Rogers Hi-Speed
reply to dfs4
said by dfs4:

Forgot to include the details.

Ontario(Toronto)
preferrably dsl since cable is more expensive and also I don't have a phone line so it would probably be a dry dsl or something.

When did cable internet become more expensive than DSL?

dfs4

said by JCohen:

When did cable internet become more expensive than DSL?

I was probably thinking of robbers. They always have been more expensive but generally cable tends to be somewhat more expensive, no? even slightly.

But back to robbers, are they actively trying to repel people from signing up with those prices and dl caps?

jasmo34

join:2008-03-20
London, ON
reply to dfs4
said by dfs4:

Yeah I asked and he said the DSL would be the same with activation fee and modem fee and I don't have a dsl modem. It is a webstar(DPC2100R2) cable modem.

Well, a DSL modem can be had for $25, and Start and EBox charge $0 for 6M DSL installation. But, then you would be into the Dry Loop Activation and DryLoop Monthly Fees. Cable 6 from TSI should be fine...

But, just a heads up on that cable modem you just bought, for $75 (+ $10 shipping). I assume it is the DCM425.

I believe that is an older cable modem. It may not be 'ideal' for any cable plans higher than 6M; especially now that Rogers has leaked news about upcoming speed increases, and the next highest plan above 6M will soon be 25/2.

So, just as your Webstar is no longer usable, the 425 may have a limited future too. It may work at higher speeds, but it may not deliver full speed on a 25/2 plan, especially in prime time, in 'congested areas'.

I would seriously consider an upgrade to a DOCSIS 3 modem, if it is within your budget. If you will be staying at 6M, it is fine.

Hopefully some advice will be forthcoming from others more knowledgable about cable modems than I am...