Search similar:

uniqs

Robleh
join:2009-07-14
canada

Robleh to epsilon3

to epsilon3

Re: New speeds Rogers cable - Teksavvy watch out

Any response back teksavvy? would die for better uploads!!
Ree
join:2007-04-29
h0h0h0

Ree to sbrook

to sbrook
said by sbrook:

The process requires Rogers to check out the cable plant in your area as being bonding capable. Although my area is now bonded 4 upstream, each of those channels is still 16QAM, presumably because the plant hasn't been certified to cope with higher QAM modulation techniques.

What's the method for determining QAM? I can see in my DPC3825 that I now have 8x4 bonding, but I don't see QAM mentioned anywhere.

sbrook
Mod
join:2001-12-14
Ottawa

sbrook

Mod

Just looked through the manual and I can't see a way with that model. ("You don't need to know that" ... just like a mac!!
old sparks
join:2011-02-17
Greely, ON

old sparks to epsilon3

to epsilon3
I'll upgrade my modem when the SB6180 shows up on the Teksavvy approved list...
velocity7
join:2009-05-20

velocity7

I've got a Thomson DCM476 right now, which is a DS3 modem. If the increased speeds do come live on TekSavvy come Dec. 1, what should I be seeing on my diagnostic screen?

JenSuisUn
Premium Member
join:2006-02-23
Chatham, ON

JenSuisUn

Premium Member

Possibly some bonding channels & speed test results that are faster.
The Mongoose
join:2010-01-05
Toronto, ON

The Mongoose to velocity7

to velocity7
said by velocity7:

I've got a Thomson DCM476 right now, which is a DS3 modem. If the increased speeds do come live on TekSavvy come Dec. 1, what should I be seeing on my diagnostic screen?

There's a good chance the status screen won't show anything different...if you've already got upstream bonding and 64QAM on your upstream, you're ready for the new speeds.

The easiest way to tell will be the upload side of a speedtest. download can be misleading because of speedboost, but upload is always capped right at the limit. If your profile changes, you'll see it in your upload speeds.
velocity7
join:2009-05-20

velocity7

Right now I have 8 downstream at 256 QAM and 4 upstream at 16 QAM.
The Mongoose
join:2010-01-05
Toronto, ON

The Mongoose

I suspect you're not capable of getting the new speeds until Rogers upgrades your node to 64QAM, but I could be wrong on that.

Robleh
canada

Robleh to epsilon3

to epsilon3
Looks like rogers has rolled out there new speeds, new 250/250 tier awesome.

BACONATOR26
Premium Member
join:2000-11-25
Nepean, ON

BACONATOR26

Premium Member

zOMG 500 GB cap. Finally something decent. Where will this be available???

Robleh
canada

Robleh

No clue, but all i wanna know is when will tsi user get those upload speeds?!

BACONATOR26
Premium Member
Nepean, ON

BACONATOR26

Premium Member

Never cause if I'm reading it right, it will be fibre to the home which TSI at least right now will not have access to.
bt
join:2009-02-26
canada

bt

said by BACONATOR26:

Never cause if I'm reading it right, it will be fibre to the home which TSI at least right now will not have access to.

I'm willing to bet my lunch money it's FTTH.

Robleh
canada

Robleh to epsilon3

to epsilon3
meant the 35/3
bt
canada

bt

said by Robleh:

meant the 35/3

*shrugs*

Nobody but Rogers knows. Could go live the same time as the Rogers customers in your area (seems to be phasing in over the month for existing subs), like some of the other speed changes. Or it could be months, and require poking and prodding Rogers via the CRTC.

As far as we know, it's been radio-silence so far for TPIA over official channels.

creed3020
Premium Member
join:2006-04-26
Kitchener, ON

creed3020 to bt

Premium Member

to bt
said by bt:

said by BACONATOR26:

Consider they are actually calling it Fibre and not lik Bhell's Fib it appears to be the real deal (FTTH) only available in limited test areas in some of Toronto's newest condos.

MJB33
join:2012-01-29

MJB33 to epsilon3

to epsilon3
At that speed your cap will be done in 5 hours..
MJB33

MJB33 to epsilon3

to epsilon3
better just remove the stupid data CAP
yyzlhr
join:2012-09-03
Scarborough, ON

yyzlhr to bt

to bt
said by bt:

said by BACONATOR26:

Symmetrical 250 is a FTTH product and it's only in Beta testing right now. It's also only available in select areas in Forest Hill in Toronto and several Atlantic regions. Don't think any Condos have this yet as it's in the beta phase right now.

BACONATOR26
Premium Member
Nepean, ON

BACONATOR26

Premium Member

Apparently it's not beta now since it's right on the website.
BACONATOR26

BACONATOR26 to MJB33

Premium Member

to MJB33
said by MJB33:

At that speed your cap will be done in 5 hours..

It would still be difficult to get more than 100 Mbps on a single source unless you really have the backbone on the other side to support it.

Also it assumes you're using that connection at all hours of the day.
arahman56
join:2011-08-11
Etobicoke, ON

arahman56 to Upsidedown

to Upsidedown
Um, Google Fibre?
34764170 (banned)
join:2007-09-06
Etobicoke, ON

34764170 (banned) to BACONATOR26

to BACONATOR26
said by BACONATOR26:

zOMG 500 GB cap. Finally something decent. Where will this be available???

That's not even close to being decent for a 250Mb connection and for how much it would be costing each month.

34764170 (banned) to bt

to bt
said by bt:

said by BACONATOR26:

For real? like it being called "Ultimate Fibre" wasn't a good enough clue? Never mind the fact that you can't do 250Mb up with DOCSIS. Even providing 250Mb down is a very long stretch for current DOCSIS networks.
bt
canada

bt to epsilon3

to epsilon3
So, word is that the new speeds will be "new" TPIA tiers, with the current speeds being old, grandfathered tiers.

Which means new (read: higher) pricing on them from Rogers.
bt

bt to 34764170

to 34764170
said by 34764170:

For real? like it being called "Ultimate Fibre" wasn't a good enough clue? Never mind the fact that you can't do 250Mb up with DOCSIS. Even providing 250Mb down is a very long stretch for current DOCSIS networks.

I liked my way of saying it was obvious more.

sbrook
Mod
join:2001-12-14
Ottawa

sbrook to epsilon3

Mod

to epsilon3
Another dose of upgrade the product to force price increases akin to the negative optioning for which Rogers is famous.
bt
canada

bt

I'm wondering how much they're going to push for, though, given there was no retail price increase associated with these speed increases.

jmck
formerly 'shaded'
join:2010-10-02
Ottawa, ON

jmck to sbrook

to sbrook
said by sbrook:

Another dose of upgrade the product to force price increases akin to the negative optioning for which Rogers is famous.

only reason it's even on the Rogers site is because Bell is likely slowly activating 175/175 FTTH installs and Rogers didn't want to look like they're stuck in the past. Of course you can bet when Rogers actually starts selling it they will target the same areas Bell is offering the 175/175 package.