share rss forum feed

HiVolt
Premium
join:2000-12-28
Toronto, ON
kudos:21
reply to TSI Marc

Re: New speeds Rogers cable - Teksavvy watch out

Well thats disappointing. I hope the CRTC can rule quickly on this, as its ridiculous. Incumbents have steadily and regularly ignored the Speedmatching in various forms.

TSI Marc
Premium,VIP
join:2006-06-23
Chatham, ON
kudos:28
Here's the exact reference:

At paragraph 210 of Decision 2006-77 the Commission stated in part:

“The Commission determines that should a cable carrier introduce a speed upgrade to one of its retail Internet service offerings with no corresponding price change, it is to issue at the same time, revised TPIA tariff pages that match these retail service speed changes with no corresponding price change.”

No subsequent Commission determination has varied or rescinded this particular TPIA speed-matching
requirement.
--
Marc - CEO/TekSavvy

mlerner
Premium
join:2000-11-25
Nepean, ON
kudos:5
That specifies "with no corresponding price change". What about with corresponding price change? Is it considered a new tier?

TSI Marc
Premium,VIP
Chatham, ON
how this "should" be is this:

Agg-TPIA would get all new speeds at same costs as before since they didn't change prices on the retail side.

On TPIA we should get the same as Agg-TPIA except new tiers since the Nov 2011 decision.. i.e. the highest tiers we would not get.. I think there's a tier we can get that we haven't been selling but not sure..
--
Marc - CEO/TekSavvy

TSI Marc
Premium,VIP
Chatham, ON
...not sure everybody noticed my latest blog but this all ties into it.

»wp.me/p1YIXQ-6i

non-stop shenanigans.
--
Marc - CEO/TekSavvy

grunze510

join:2009-02-14
Cote Saint-Luc, QC
kudos:1
reply to TSI Marc
said by TSI Marc:

how this "should" be is this:

Agg-TPIA would get all new speeds at same costs as before since they didn't change prices on the retail side.

On TPIA we should get the same as Agg-TPIA except new tiers since the Nov 2011 decision.. i.e. the highest tiers we would not get.. I think there's a tier we can get that we haven't been selling but not sure..

Hasn't the Rogers Ultimate been around since 2009 or 2010? So you're theoretically good there. I don't think they added anything since then, but they did remove the pointless Ultra-Lite tier. So I think you're theoretically good all around, aside from the legal crap.

TSI Marc
Premium,VIP
Chatham, ON
um. I think it's the top top one. I'll have to double check.
--
Marc - CEO/TekSavvy

Arcturus

join:2008-04-18
London, ON
reply to epsilon3
Wow sounds like Rogers is once again breaking the CRTC agreements, think they will actually do anything this time? Of course not!

After months of fighting eventually Rogers will fall back in line, it is all about f'n with everyone to keep TPIA's from having too many customers as always.

resa1983
Premium
join:2008-03-10
North York, ON
kudos:10
No tariff filed by Rogers either..
»www.crtc.gc.ca/8740/eng/2012/r28.htm

Looks like the CRTC needs to smack Rogers around for yet another issue of non-compliance of CRTC regs.
--
Battle.net Tech Support MVP

TSI Marc
Premium,VIP
Chatham, ON
I think they did file.. Just not up yet.
--
Marc - CEO/TekSavvy

bbiab

join:2004-05-26
I have been wondering if you still are able to delay mandatory shift to aggregated. And what would you have them do regarding the 70 gig links? Is there some incentive for them?

TSI Marc
Premium,VIP
Chatham, ON
The problem we have is that those links are services that are not tariffed. That means that the CRTC has no ability to impose anything on those...

So we have all these links and each one was turned on at a different time... the idea of cutting over all at once doesn't make any sense... Since they all have different terms.

The basic idea would be to cut over one poi at a time and move whatever links we have on it, over to another poi assuming more growth.. This way we stop ordering new links for the old setup...

The only way around any of this would be for them to offer up a solution that dealt with it all... We'll keep talking to them to see what we can come up with.
--
Marc - CEO/TekSavvy

Dones

join:2008-02-14
Toronto, ON
This shit just got real.

TSI Pierre
Baby, Wanna see what 300Gigs looks like?
Premium
join:2011-09-23
Chatham, ON
+1

geokilla

join:2010-10-04
North York, ON
Reviews:
·TekSavvy Cable
Should have saved up and switched to Aggregated POI earlier instead of adding more individual POI as I mentioned before. You're supposed to plan for the future, not planning for the present like Toronto.

Now I'm saying this without knowing the fine details that you guys know, so flame on if you wish. But if Teksavvy ain't getting the speed increases, I'm gonna switch... The new upload speeds make life that much easier for me when I want to stream games to my friends.

The Mongoose

join:2010-01-05
Toronto, ON
Switching to aggregated is going to take a long, long time. It's a complicated and expensive process. Has any TPIA provider with existing non-aggregated links actually switched?

That being said, yes, if Start gets the new speeds and TSI doesn't, I think a lot of people will look at switching. It might not even be a bad thing for TSI as these are likely to be heavier users than average.

Switching to Rogers for the new speeds, on the other hand, won't fly with a lot of people. Way higher prices and way lower caps make it a non-starter.

TSI Marc
Premium,VIP
Chatham, ON
reply to geokilla
The law says we should get the speeds...
--
Marc - CEO/TekSavvy

The Mongoose

join:2010-01-05
Toronto, ON
Sadly so many of us have had Rogers do illegal things to us that we just expect it now. Hopefully all of this is just talk. I'm salivating over 35/3. I'd pay more for it if it was offered as an upgrade instead of a free speed bump.

callous10

join:2005-09-12
toron
What's the extra cost, if any, associated with the extra speeds we are expected to get, if we are a teksavvy customer?

Will there be a higher cap?

callous99

@nltelcom.net
reply to TSI Pierre
So will Teksavvy increase retail prices in march because of these new speed rollouts by rogers?

hm

@videotron.ca
reply to TSI Marc
said by TSI Marc:

CNOC submitted a Request for Enforcement of Speed-Matching Requirement earlier today.

It will either be a cut and dry enforcement...
....or Rogers et al have something up their sleeve considering costing is going to be revisited & is also going to be opened up for viewing, and are testing the waters for whatever reason.

elwoodblues
Elwood Blues
Premium
join:2006-08-30
Somewhere in
kudos:2
Reviews:
·VMedia
reply to TSI Marc
said by TSI Marc:

»wp.me/p1YIXQ-6i

non-stop shenanigans.

A little dramatic don't you think?

sil

join:2007-06-30
ON
reply to TSI Marc
said by TSI Marc:

what's the penalty for non-compliance?

resa1983
Premium
join:2008-03-10
North York, ON
kudos:10
said by sil:

said by TSI Marc:

what's the penalty for non-compliance?

A mean (ok not so mean) talking to.

The only thing the CRTC can do is apply AMPs for non-compliance of the telemarketing rules. Otherwise... They can withhold licenses.. Which may actually be an option now?
--
Battle.net Tech Support MVP

bbiab

join:2004-05-26
reply to TSI Marc
said by TSI Marc:

The problem we have is that those links are services that are not tariffed. That means that the CRTC has no ability to impose anything on those...

So we have all these links and each one was turned on at a different time... the idea of cutting over all at once doesn't make any sense... Since they all have different terms.

The basic idea would be to cut over one poi at a time and move whatever links we have on it, over to another poi assuming more growth.. This way we stop ordering new links for the old setup...

The only way around any of this would be for them to offer up a solution that dealt with it all... We'll keep talking to them to see what we can come up with.

Perhaps I am still missing something. You seem to be saying that what they propose is not allowed, and yet CRTC is not able to impose anything regarding those services.

TSI Marc
Premium,VIP
Chatham, ON
reply to elwoodblues
said by elwoodblues:

said by TSI Marc:

»wp.me/p1YIXQ-6i

non-stop shenanigans.

A little dramatic don't you think?

No. Not at all. pretty scary stuff fighting against multi-billion dollar organisations.

What is it that you think is dramatic?
--
Marc - CEO/TekSavvy

TSI Marc
Premium,VIP
Chatham, ON
reply to bbiab
said by bbiab:

Perhaps I am still missing something. You seem to be saying that what they propose is not allowed, and yet CRTC is not able to impose anything regarding those services.

two separate issues...

for the speed matching, what they're attempting to do is flat out wrong.

for the migration from the old TPIA to the new TPIA, we need to come up with a plan.. some parts of that are not tariff-ed, so it makes it more difficult for the CRTC to get involved.
--
Marc - CEO/TekSavvy

bt

join:2009-02-26
canada
kudos:1
reply to bbiab
said by bbiab:

Two separate issues that are coming up at the same time.

Rogers holding back the speed changes (or charging TPIAs more for them) is not allowed. That part is something the CRTC is able to deal with.

The links TSI has to the Rogers POIs are not tariffed, therefore the CRTC can't impose anything.

da_guy2

join:2003-06-10
Kanata, ON
reply to epsilon3
The timing of this seems rather convenient for rogers. How much you want to bet rogers is ignoring the speed matching knowing they're going to lose, but also knowing it's going to take the CRTC a few months to slap them on the wrist and set them straight. In the mean time they can advertise faster internet speeds though the holiday season without and competition from independents.

redrain85

join:2002-06-27
Canada
reply to TSI Marc
I hope this gets reported in the media. There needs to be lots of noise made about this, how Rogers is flat-out ignoring the rules the CRTC set down, which they agreed to earlier.

They know they're going to lose in the end. But in the meantime, they drag things out so long that they have the advantage of gaining more customers over the holidays, when people see the offers of increased speeds that are exclusive to Rogers for now.