uniqs
share rss forum feed

koreyb
Open the Canadian Market NOW

join:2005-01-08
East York, ON
reply to epsilon3

Re: New speeds Rogers cable - Teksavvy watch out

It maybe early yet to speculate, but what are we looking here for an estimated time line to resolve this issue via the CRTC? Months, Years? Sadly the damage will be done if it goes on too long.

resa1983
Premium
join:2008-03-10
North York, ON
kudos:10
Enforcements deals with issues relatively quickly compared to other departments. If CNOC manages to get it rushed... Weeks to a few months maybe?
--
Battle.net Tech Support MVP

koreyb
Open the Canadian Market NOW

join:2005-01-08
East York, ON
Reviews:
·VMedia
·Rogers Hi-Speed
said by resa1983:

Enforcements deals with issues relatively quickly compared to other departments. If CNOC manages to get it rushed... Weeks to a few months maybe?

UNLESS they gang up against them and ask for a hearing..

TSI Marc
Premium,VIP
join:2006-06-23
Chatham, ON
kudos:28
reply to koreyb
time line wise.. it should be pretty quick if the CRTC orders them to do it. If they still dont do it (I've not seen that happen in the last 5 years).. I don't know what would happen then.
--
Marc - CEO/TekSavvy

d4m1r

join:2011-08-25
reply to TSI Marc
said by TSI Marc:

The law says we should get the speeds...

Exactly what I was looking for, thanks.

Now it is just a matter of when I guess and how difficult Rogers wants to make your life Marc LOL
--
www.613websites.com Budget Canadian Web Design and Hosting

Optional

join:2012-02-26
Mississauga, ON
reply to epsilon3
These better come to us... or I may have to .. -shudders- switch back and just not go over my bandwidth... -shudders again-

TwiztedZero
Nine Zero Burp Nine Six
Premium
join:2011-03-31
Toronto, ON
kudos:5
Time to pour on some pressure via twitter and other media avenues to the CRTC & Monsieur Blais huh? We should get some kind of campaign going to bring attention to this issue. Just thinkin here, bouncing idea's off walls. Feel free to add or disregard. I'd at least like to feel like we're doing something to make a real difference.
--
You see there is only one constant. One universal. It is the only real truth. Causality. Action, reaction. Cause and effect.
Twitter:Merv Chat:irc.teksavvy.ca

plebel
Premium
join:2011-01-27
Ottawa, ON
OpenMedia.ca has been very good at bringing these abuses to public attention. I'm sure they'd be interested in hearing about it.

I_needhelp

join:2004-07-08
reply to epsilon3
Ugh...this stuff is just so tiring. So what's the timeline on this? I don't mean how fast after the CRTC enforces it to the actual speeds being there for us.

I mean how long until the CRTC says or does anything on the subject? Submission was made recently, is it usually a 1 week thing or what.

Not sure how you even have the energy for this Marc. I just read about it and it's exhausting. Can't imagine what it's like actually dealing with these organizations...

TwiztedZero
Nine Zero Burp Nine Six
Premium
join:2011-03-31
Toronto, ON
said by I_needhelp:

So what's the timeline on this?

2013 - 2014 Its one of those slow glacial machinations, takes forever and a day.

They have to wade through tonnes of documentation and financials and perform convoluted logic exercises you know just like lawyers do. With the incumbents being the top doggies trying to control the outcome in their favour the majority of the time.

It might be comparable to a tit for tat game of patent ligitation, definitely not fun. Just look at the NHL lockout situation, now magnify that tenfold...

So yeah, its gona be a long time before we see the Intarwebs in Canada on an even keel with the rest of the world.
--
You see there is only one constant. One universal. It is the only real truth. Causality. Action, reaction. Cause and effect.
Twitter:Merv Chat:irc.teksavvy.ca

HiVolt
Premium
join:2000-12-28
Toronto, ON
kudos:22
reply to TSI Marc
Looks like its up on the CRTC page.

»services.crtc.gc.ca/pub/instance ··· Lang=eng

resa1983
Premium
North York, ON
Looks like its not going to be pushed through as fast as CNOC hoped.

They suggested Rogers response by today, and CNOC's further response by Wed. CRTC has instead decided to leave comments open til Dec 10th. Not as quick a fix as we hoped.
--

da_guy2

join:2003-06-10
Kanata, ON
said by resa1983:

They suggested Rogers response by today, and CNOC's further response by Wed. CRTC has instead decided to leave comments open til Dec 10th. Not as quick a fix as we hoped.

Looks like they ignored point 10 completely

10. Due to the urgent nature of this application, CNOC is also requesting that the Commission dispense with the usual form and timing requirements associated with applications filed under Part I of the Canadian Radiotelevision and Telecommunications Commission Rules of Practice and Procedures in this instance. Instead, CNOC requests that the Commission treat this letter as a complete application and abridge the schedule for the filing of comments by Rogers (and any interested parties) and reply by CNOC. More specifically, CNOC proposes that the Commission require Rogers and any interested parties to file comments with the Commission (serving them on all relevant parties) with respect to this application by no later than 8:00 PM on Monday, November 12, 2012, with CNOCs reply to follow on Wednesday, November 14, 2012.

Not looking good at all

HiVolt
Premium
Toronto, ON
reply to resa1983
Oh, I hadn't noticed that... Seriously can't someone call the CRTC and say wtf, look at it, its really simple issue and fix?

mlerner
Premium
join:2000-11-25
Nepean, ON
No. The CRTC has procedures in place and written exceptions for emergency cases (specific telecom situations). As much as it would be nice to hit a button and press them for immediate answers, at the same time there needs to be order to the decisions.

And also, CNOCs suggested time frames were way too short. Should have shot for Tuesday or Wednesday at the earliest for comment filing.

mlerner
Premium
join:2000-11-25
Nepean, ON
reply to epsilon3
Also Part 1 applications are a long process normally so they should have asked for the speediest type of application if there is one.

elwoodblues
Elwood Blues
Premium
join:2006-08-30
Somewhere in
kudos:2
Reviews:
·VMedia
reply to resa1983
said by resa1983:

said by TSI Marc:

I think it's a bit more complicated then that... just speculating here but..

The contracts are with one side of the house within the organization, and so they don't want to loose the revenue.

The other side wants the revenue and wants us to switch over...

Oh lovely.. Tug of war infighting.

And this is how Sony lost the personal music player market, that they invented with the Walkman to Apple, different divisions infighting.
--
No, I didn't. Honest... I ran out of gas. I... I had a flat tire. I didn't have enough money for cab fare. My tux didn't come back from the cleaners. An old friend came in from out of town. Someone stole my car. There was an earthquake.......

cidknee0

join:2009-02-28
reply to HiVolt
One does not simply call the CRTC. They are the biggest pain in the *&^%*( to get a hold of (someone competent) and also they have NO idea what they are doing. That and they don't actually do anything but push paper around.

resa1983
Premium
North York, ON
said by cidknee0:

One does not simply call the CRTC. They are the biggest pain in the *&^%*( to get a hold of (someone competent) and also they have NO idea what they are doing. That and they don't actually do anything but push paper around.

Actually, you're wrong there. Jason called them last year to find out the status of our non-compliance complaint against Rogers. It had been dragging for a while without hearing anything and we wanted to know whether it was still being processed, or being worked on.
--

bt

join:2009-02-26
canada
kudos:1
reply to resa1983
said by resa1983:

According to Peter Nowak the CRTC is expediting it, just not as much as CNOC wanted. He's saying Rogers is to reply by the end of this week, with CNOC's rebuttal by the end of next week.

It's a short paragraph about 1/3 of the way down the article.

»wordsbynowak.com/2012/11/13/roge ··· nternet/

resa1983
Premium
North York, ON
Yeah.. I tweeted him about that, and he's emailing me the CRTC order now.
--

dm1336

join:2011-08-07
Scarborough, ON
CRTC deadline date has been changed to Nov 16th. It's looking good so far.

HiVolt
Premium
Toronto, ON
Reviews:
·TekSavvy DSL
said by dm1336:

CRTC deadline date has been changed to Nov 16th. It's looking good so far.

Well look at that... Someone there realized the issue... Not bad!

Dones

join:2008-02-14
Toronto, ON
reply to epsilon3
Sooooo any updates?

bt

canada
said by Dones:

Sooooo any updates?

Rogers has until 8pm EST to file their response. Not sure how quickly we'll get to actually see that response after it's received, though.

Old Martin
Premium
join:2006-02-23
kudos:33
reply to Dones
»Re: New speeds Rogers cable - Teksavvy watch out

Latest update we have.

MJB

join:2012-01-29
reply to epsilon3
why don't u build your own infrastructure, stop using rogers lines

like verizon in the usa, google, etc

bt

canada
said by MJB:

Verizon: $230.4 billion in assets, $18.8 billion in operating income
Google: $72.6 billion in assets, $11.6 billion in operating income

Not exactly equal comparisons to Teksavvy.

pnjunction
Teksavvy Extreme
Premium
join:2008-01-24
Toronto, ON
reply to MJB
said by MJB:

why don't u build your own infrastructure, stop using rogers lines

looooool

The only good choice in the vast majority of the US is the friendly local cable monopoly, just like here.

Is there even much 3rd-party access to cable there?

KKaWing

join:2007-06-14
reply to MJB
Don't forget the red tape. Getting a third line such as FTTH lines for anyone other than the incumbents is not happening. Forget the costs of deploying a network.