resa1983
Premium
join:2008-03-10
North York, ON
kudos:10
reply to shrug

Re: New speeds Rogers cable - Teksavvy watch out

said by shrug :

So, pnjunction, no. It wasn't all done this was to purposely screw TPIA providers. But now, in this situation, they are out to make a mountain out of a molehill (and play a game since CRTC pricing/costing review is starting this month or next moth). You know how it works. You want the regulatory regime to raise rates by 99-cents so you start off demanding 6$ and cutting off access.

The only thing this all showed over that past couple of years is how piecemeal and frail Rogers network really was compared to other networks.

In other words, Rogers has neglected their communications network and appears not to have invested much to supply the growing demand compared to other cable-co's. And that's how I see it.

R&Vs are done - CRTC has posted on their site that they have the new rates next week. So everything is decided next week, probably all in the same decision.
--
Battle.net Tech Support MVP

TSI Marc
Premium,VIP
join:2006-06-23
Chatham, ON
kudos:28
No resa, it's only parts of it. See my update on the thread.. Not the actual CBB rates.
--
Marc - CEO/TekSavvy

hm

@videotron.ca
reply to resa1983
said by resa1983:

said by shrug :

... and play a game since CRTC pricing/costing review is starting this month or next moth ...

R&Vs are done - CRTC has posted on their site that they have the new rates next week. So everything is decided next week, probably all in the same decision.

You mean the wholesale costing R&V for 703? I certainly missed the announcement that this was all done with. This was supposed to go into 2013. This was also the one where they would revoke the confidentiality of the numbers (ie. ##.## + #.## = #####.##)

resa1983
Premium
North York, ON
reply to TSI Marc
said by TSI Marc:

No resa, it's only parts of it. See my update on the thread.. Not the actual CBB rates.

Arg.. It'd be easier to just release everything all at once.. But no... CRTC's gotta be difficult.
--

TSI Marc
Premium,VIP
join:2006-06-23
Chatham, ON
kudos:28
Yup, got me all hot and bothered too.
--
Marc - CEO/TekSavvy

Robleh

join:2009-07-14
canada
reply to epsilon3
Hope everything turns out in our favor.

Dones

join:2008-02-14
Toronto, ON
reply to epsilon3
Is there any chance we'll see the upgrade this month?

Ares45
Premium
join:2007-11-14
Toronto, ON
It depends on if the CRTC orders Rogers to complete the upgrades, and the timeline given.

I wouldn't hold my breath though.

dustmaker

join:2011-03-14
L9T7C7
reply to TSI Andre
Any news on when these new speeds will be available?

TSI Andre
Got TekSavvy?
Premium,VIP
join:2008-06-03
Chatham, ON
kudos:24
Not as of yet.

resa1983
Premium
North York, ON
Here's hoping the fact that Rogers was offering its own customers these upstream speed upgrades back in August/Sept 2011 for free without providing them to TPIA could get everyone the upgrades now.. They really need to order Rogers to provide them to all TPIA providers, and not just those on Agg.
--

The Mongoose

join:2010-01-05
Toronto, ON
I'm not optimistic. I read Rogers' defense and while I agree it's bulls***, I'm worried there's enough there for the CRTC to find the excuse they'll be looking for to find for Rogers.

Just beneath the surface, Rogers is basically telling the CRTC that they've got two conflicting rules: The price-matching rules and the new tariffs already set for higher speed tiers. One way or the other, the logic goes, the CRTC will be violating one of its own rules, so it makes more sense to break the speed-match rule because the Tariffs are so neat and tidy and mathematical.

It's crap and Rogers is, as always, lying and obfuscating. But I'm not confident that they won't succeed.

Robleh

join:2009-07-14
canada
reply to epsilon3
Wouldn't mind paying for higher upload to be honest. If it does turn out in rogers favor does teksavvy have any plans to change there poi's?

The Mongoose

join:2010-01-05
Toronto, ON
Presumably one day they'll have to go aggregated. But that's probably a process that's going to be measured in months and years, not weeks. They have a lot of capital sunk into the current POIs.

redrain85

join:2002-06-27
Canada
reply to Robleh
If the CRTC rules in Rogers' favor, TekSavvy customers won't be seeing any speed increases for at least another year.

Rogers wants to force all the TPIA providers on to Aggregated to get the higher speeds, and then charge them more on top of it. Since TekSavvy is on Disaggregated and would have to spend a lot of money to switch, they simply won't do it because they can't afford to right now. In fact, Tek has been asking for an extension to postpone the switchover to Aggregated.

So, basically, TPIA will be pretty screwed if Rogers gets their way.

resa1983
Premium
North York, ON
I think TPIA wants a transition agreement so they don't lose out on all the money they've put into disagg.
--

join:2007-09-06
Etobicoke, ON
reply to Robleh
said by Robleh:

Wouldn't mind paying for higher upload to be honest.

I surely would not especially when it is something we should have in the first place.

creed3020
Premium
join:2006-04-26
Kitchener, ON
kudos:2
Reviews:
·TekSavvy Cable
said by 34764170:

said by Robleh:

Wouldn't mind paying for higher upload to be honest.

I surely would not especially when it is something we should have in the first place.

if the 5Mbps upload option is available for Extreme, I too would be willing to pay a little more for it. If Rogers only makes the 3Mbps upload the only thing available to TPIAs then I'm not interested in paying more as speed matching should take care of this regardless.

anoncrtc

@cyberus.ca
any update on this as to if/when the faster speeds will be offered?
will they need to migrate to the new poi before rogers is going to provide the speeds?

bt

join:2009-02-26
canada
kudos:1
said by anoncrtc :

any update on this as to if/when the faster speeds will be offered?

Process is ongoing at the CRTC. We're into the rebuttal phase for the access stuff, with (I think) that part wrapping up on Friday. That means a decision no earlier than next week.

Pricing stuff rebuttals wrap up next Tuesday, so a decision on that by the end of next week if we're lucky.

said by anoncrtc :

will they need to migrate to the new poi before rogers is going to provide the speeds?

Maybe. That's one of the things that will be determined by the stuff in front of the CRTC right now.

resa1983
Premium
North York, ON
Wouldn't be surprised if its all rolled into 1 decision, as both issues can be resolved with a revised TN filing.
--

bt

canada
said by resa1983:

Wouldn't be surprised if its all rolled into 1 decision, as both issues can be resolved with a revised TN filing.

Me either, but nor would I be surprised to see interim rates on the new speeds as a separate, earlier decision.

resa1983
Premium
North York, ON
said by bt:

said by resa1983:

Me either, but nor would I be surprised to see interim rates on the new speeds as a separate, earlier decision.

Yeah, thats what I'm expecting, a TN to be set as interim to be revised with conclusion of TPIA rates.. Would probably be the easiest/fastest way for everyone to get faster speeds.
--

anoncrtc

@cyberus.ca
any comment if the higher tiers will be offered? it would appear from previous crtc filings that teksavvy/distributel etc would have been able to offer the faster speeds already but choose not to. i assume this has to do with cost? any change we will see 150/10 or eventually 250/250?

bt

canada
said by anoncrtc :

any comment if the higher tiers will be offered? it would appear from previous crtc filings that teksavvy/distributel etc would have been able to offer the faster speeds already but choose not to. i assume this has to do with cost? any change we will see 150/10 or eventually 250/250?

Ultimate (either 150/10 or 75/2) is a no-go for TSI/Distributel until they move to aggregated. I believe that's also true for Extreme Plus (45/4, formerly 32/1) but I'm not 100% sure.

Start.ca can offer 75/2 (150/10 is part of this proceeding) but the potential cost to them is just too high (a single 75/2 customer could cost Start over $1k per month).

250/250 is right out for anybody else at this point, as it's FTTH and Rogers isn't required to let anyone else have access to it.

TSILiz
Premium
join:2012-08-20
kudos:6
reply to anoncrtc
said by anoncrtc :

We are currently waiting on a CRTC decision on this issue before we are offering the higher speeds.

d4m1r

join:2011-08-25
Reviews:
·Start Communicat..
said by TSILiz:

said by anoncrtc :

We are currently waiting on a CRTC decision on this issue before we are offering the higher speeds.

Any updates on this? I thought there was a CRTC decision coming down this week?
--
www.613websites.com Budget Canadian Web Design and Hosting

resa1983
Premium
North York, ON
said by d4m1r:

said by TSILiz:

said by anoncrtc :

Any updates on this? I thought there was a CRTC decision coming down this week?

Decision was last week for CBB order link amounts, as well as associated costs. Full decision still not out.

As for speedmatching - Rogers has til 8pm tomorrow to respond, and then considering past expedited hearings, the CRTC in the past has usually released their decision 3-4 weeks after the last filing.
--

dustmakermk

@fibrenoire.ca
Hey guys whats the status on this? Did you get any updates from Rogers.

I thought they had until yesterday at 8 pm to respond...?

chrisl83

join:2011-06-21
Almonte, ON
I'll be thinking of you guys when I get 250/15 with shaw next year when I move to Calgary.

(I'll still have 2 different family members with their own subscriptions with teksavvy though, so I'm loyal :P