Premium Member
join:2011-03-31
Toronto, ON

TwiztedZero to metalhawk

Premium Member

to metalhawk

Re: New speeds Rogers cable - Teksavvy watch out

said by metalhawk:

Last time there was an upgrade (early March) Tek customers got it at the same time as Rogers customers.

March was our GigE link's that finally got put in at some of the POI's and some channel bonding started rolling out then too, the last speedbump was Sept/Oct about, 2011 where we went from 15/1 to 28/1. Two different types of Update/upgrades.
34764170 (banned)
join:2007-09-06
Etobicoke, ON

34764170 (banned)

said by TwiztedZero:

March was our GigE link's that finally got put in at some of the POI's and some channel bonding started rolling out then too, the last speedbump was Sept/Oct about, 2011 where we went from 15/1 to 28/1. Two different types of Update/upgrades.

Unless I am mistaken last time there was a bump it was roughly a month between Rogers retail customers having the speed bumps and the TPIA providers (AFAIK if they chose to, Distributel did not for example) customers receiving their speed bumps.

34764170 (banned)

said by 34764170:

said by creed3020:

Ultimate: 75/150 download - 7/10 upload (Depends on area what you get)
Extreme Plus: 45/4
Extreme: 35/3
Express: 25/2
Lite: 6/256kb (Changes Unknown)

Other than Ultimate these seem like speed tiers pre-upstream speed bumping.

I take that back about Ultimate. IMO that's a bit on the weak side too. That should be more like 10/20Mbps up.
OTIS3
join:2011-09-29

OTIS3 to TwiztedZero

to TwiztedZero
said by TwiztedZero:

said by metalhawk:

Last time there was an upgrade (early March) Tek customers got it at the same time as Rogers customers.

I might not remember this correctly, but if i recall Oct 2011 went from 15/1 to 24/1. Then March 2012 was 24/1 to 28/1

creed3020
Premium Member
join:2006-04-26
Kitchener, ON

creed3020 to Teddy Boom

Premium Member

to Teddy Boom
said by Teddy Boom:

said by creed3020:

People said this last time in the TSI forum and it wasn't true. I doubt it be requirement.

Well, it isn't clear. D2 is theoretically capable of 2mbit upload (in fact 2.7mbit per this »docsis.org/node/69), and I know for sure you are right that they will allow 28/1 on D2 now. We don't know if Rogers will allow 2mbit upload on D2 modems though..

I might be jumping the gun.. D2 may still be worth considering for the budget minded on 25/2 service. Node congestion will mean that you won't get anywhere near 25mbit down during peak hours though.

I would say that D2 modems are still applicable for the new Express tier but considering that there have been two speed bumps in the last two years how much life do these D2 modems realistically have left.

Surprisingly the competition between Bhell and Robbers is getting better in my eyes. We've seen new speeds rolled out by both incumbents in a tit-for-tat way. Each time one increases the other responds in one change or another.

The last thing we need to consider is what is the delta between theoretical speeds and real world speeds. If D2 modems can scale to 90% of the specification and we can get some solid proof of that when the new profiles come out, then we can make sure this hardware gets an extension on life and isn't unnecessarily trashed. One thing I try not to forget are all the random disconnect issues people are having. I just had another friend on TSI confirm they are having this issue with their SB5100 on the 28/1 plan. I referred him to you for a potential firmware flash.
creed3020

creed3020 to 34764170

Premium Member

to 34764170
said by 34764170:

said by creed3020:

Upstream speed for which tier?

The quoted text already specified.

Well then your own question was answered by the quote in your post. The new upstream speed for Express will be 2Mbps.

Or am I completely misunderstanding your question?
creed3020

1 edit

creed3020 to OTIS3

Premium Member

to OTIS3
quote:
said by OTIS3 See Profile
I might not remember this correctly, but if i recall Oct 2011 went from 15/1 to 24/1. Then March 2012 was 24/1 to 28/1

Ahh right. I forgot about that mid bump from 15 to 24. After that we got the extra 4Mbps to 28. Thanks for the reminder, I thought there had been an intermediate step in there somewhere.

Express went 10 --> 12 --> 18
Extreme went 15 --> 24 --> 28
mlord
join:2006-11-05
Kanata, ON

mlord to creed3020

to creed3020
said by creed3020:

If D2 modems can scale to 90% of the specification and we can get some solid proof of that when the new profiles come out, then we can make sure this hardware gets an extension on life and isn't unnecessarily trashed.

The problem with D2 modems in a D3 world, is that they are very much slow cars in the fast lane, affecting (D3) throughput for everyone else, or at least very much complicating packet scheduling at the CMTS. It's easy to see why the operator might want to be rid of them.

Cheers

ChuckcZar
@teksavvy.com

ChuckcZar to creed3020

Anon

to creed3020
The upload and download speeds are still about a decade behind the rest of the world.

Dones
join:2008-02-14
Toronto, ON

Dones to epsilon3

to epsilon3
I know going from an upload speed of 1mbps to 3 is great and all but It would be nice to have 4 or 7mbps options.
34764170 (banned)
Etobicoke, ON

34764170 (banned) to creed3020

to creed3020
said by creed3020:

Or am I completely misunderstanding your question?

You are. I also said later on in the thread I'm pretty sure those upstream speeds do not include bumps due to the upstream channel bonding. If not then those speeds are pretty weak.

d4m1r
join:2011-08-25

d4m1r to HiVolt

to HiVolt
said by HiVolt:

Marc, can you inquire with Rogers when they plan to speedmatch the two tiers that they are providing on TPIA non aggregated?

No response to the above? :/
koreyb
Open the Canadian Market NOW
join:2005-01-08
Etobicoke, ON

koreyb to epsilon3

to epsilon3
I for one will be downgrading once Rogers ups the upload speeds on Express. I don't need more than 2mb up, nor more than 18mb down but I do need at least 1mb up

TSI Andre
Premium Member
join:2008-06-03
Chatham, ON

TSI Andre to d4m1r

Premium Member

to d4m1r
said by d4m1r:

said by HiVolt:

Marc, can you inquire with Rogers when they plan to speedmatch the two tiers that they are providing on TPIA non aggregated?

No response to the above? :/

I believe we submitted an inquiry today to get a little more details
Insilin1i
join:2010-07-15
Toronto, ON

Insilin1i to epsilon3

to epsilon3
I really hope we get the upload upgrades, I have been on 1 Mb upload for 10 years. I think it's time for an upgrade.

Though it's only worth it if theres no congestion.
34764170 (banned)
Etobicoke, ON

34764170 (banned)

said by Insilin1i:

That is the whole point of the upstream channel bonding. To provide the necessary upstream bandwidth. Although they have a long way to go and
should be bringing in the 8 channel upstream modems as soon as possible.

TwiztedZero
Nine Zero Burp Nine Six
Premium Member
Toronto, ON

TwiztedZero

Premium Member

said by 34764170:

said by Insilin1i:

That is the whole point of the upstream channel bonding. To provide the necessary upstream bandwidth. Although they have a long way to go and
should be bringing in the 8 channel upstream modems as soon as possible.

There will only be 4 channel upstreams on DOCSIS 3.0 as far as I know. 8 channels are being worked on for DOCSIS 3.1, and I doubt very much we'll be seeing that anywhere in Canada for quite some time as CableLabs is still working on that standard with hopes of seeing some itterations at the device equipment level around 2014. (Best guess Comcast markets will have it first down in the States.)
34764170 (banned)
Etobicoke, ON

1 edit

34764170 (banned)

said by TwiztedZero:

There will only be 4 channel upstreams on DOCSIS 3.0 as far as I know.

Incorrect. There is no defined limit to the number of channels with DOCSIS 3.0. Broadcom and Intel will have DOCSIS 3.0 32 x 8 chipsets out by the middle of next year.

asfsf3
@teksavvy.com

asfsf3 to 34764170

Anon

to 34764170
what's sad is that im only getting 10mbps out of my 18mbps connection (((

tristen1230
join:2010-12-26
Belleville, ON

tristen1230 to epsilon3

to epsilon3
With Teksavvy now getting Cogeco Cable in many areas I do not think they need to worry much and Rogers is overpriced.

TwiztedZero
Nine Zero Burp Nine Six
Premium Member
Toronto, ON

TwiztedZero to 34764170

Premium Member

to 34764170
said by 34764170:

said by TwiztedZero:

There will only be 4 channel upstreams on DOCSIS 3.0 as far as I know.

Incorrect. There is no defined limit to the number of channels with DOCSIS 3.0. Broadcom and Intel will have DOCSIS 3.0 32 x 8 chipsets out by the middle of next year.

Hmmm yeah thats a possiblity since D3.0 and D3.1 use different signal spectrums with the later using higher QAM modulations.
I think I'll set aside some time to go over the DOCSIS specs again and get myself caught up.
34764170 (banned)
Etobicoke, ON

34764170 (banned)

said by TwiztedZero:

Hmmm yeah thats a possiblity since D3.0 and D3.1 use different signal spectrums with the later using higher QAM modulations.
I think I'll set aside some time to go over the DOCSIS specs again and get myself caught up.

3.1 will be using different modulation techniques to increase the efficiency of the spectrum being used. 3.0/3.1 will co-exist just as 3.0 does with 2.0. 3.1 will have a very heavy focus on upstream speeds since that is DOCSIS' achilles heel.

34764170 (banned) to asfsf3

to asfsf3
said by asfsf3 :

what's sad is that im only getting 10mbps out of my 18mbps connection (((

What time of day and what modem are you using?
bbhog
join:2010-07-05
North York, ON

bbhog to epsilon3

to epsilon3
Awesome, we were just talking about the upload speeds earlier in the week and then it gets announced
I'm on 28/1. I was quite happy when it was 24/1 and I could definitely be satisfied with 25/2 going forward. However I'm excited to get 35/3 and will probably keep the service as is.

I really don't like Rogers, and hope never to be a direct customer, but you have to admit, as a TPIA rogers cable subscriber they have been very good to us.

metalhawk
join:2007-02-06
Nepean, ON

metalhawk

said by bbhog:

but you have to admit, as a TPIA rogers cable subscriber they have been very good to us.

It's not by choice. If they were not mandated by the CRTC we would be lucky to get 5/0.5 (or even less) for a lot more than we're paying now.

jmck
formerly 'shaded'
join:2010-10-02
Ottawa, ON

jmck to epsilon3

to epsilon3
The new packages make Extreme Plus significantly better than Extreme (currently only a 4Mbit difference, same upload) and might actually make me consider jumping to Start.ca which offers that package unlike TSI. The increased upstream is what really interests me and might actually allow me to do some streaming.
Webslinger
Premium Member
join:2004-05-01

Webslinger

Premium Member

said by jmck:

The new packages make Extreme Plus significantly better than Extreme (currently only a 4Mbit difference, same upload) and might actually make me consider jumping to Start.ca which offers that package unlike TSI.

Yeah, it's really about time that Teksavvy started to address aggregated POIs. I would prefer to stay with Teksavvy, but . . .

jmck
formerly 'shaded'
join:2010-10-02
Ottawa, ON

jmck

i raised the aggregated POI issue in an earlier thread asking TSI if/when they plan to move to it but got no response.

also unless I'm blind, there doesn't seem to be a Start.ca DSLreports forum, so i was curious if the monthly caps were the same situation as TSI/Rogers where they have no way to currently monitor your usage.
mjollymo
join:2011-05-07
K7K0G3

mjollymo

said by jmck:

i raised the aggregated POI issue in an earlier thread asking TSI if/when they plan to move to it but got no response.

also unless I'm blind, there doesn't seem to be a Start.ca DSLreports forum, so i was curious if the monthly caps were the same situation as TSI/Rogers where they have no way to currently monitor your usage.

Here you go »Start.ca

I am on the fence between TSI and Start. I like TSI for their unlimited package, but I am liking Start for the higher speed tiers. I have some time to decide before my Rogers contract is up, may wait and see how the upgrade in speeds plays out.

mike21321
@teksavvy.com

mike21321

Anon

agreed if tech savvy doesn't get this speed bump and start.ca does because they are on aggregated POI im gonna be jumping ship especially because i wont have to pay the 50* activation fee and already bought my modem from techsavvy.