said by xdrag:

(assuming the 28 gets bumped to 45)

28 would get bumped to 35.

I can see 45/$53 and 150/$85 tiers

Dones

join:2008-02-14
Toronto, ON
reply to epsilon3
How can Teksavvy afford to offer the 150Mbps tier at a reasonable price when 100Mbps cost them $1251/month??? of course people wont be maxing the connection 24/7, but I wouldn't expect anything over 50Mbps during peak.

xdrag

join:2005-02-18
North York, ON
Reviews:
·TekSavvy Cable

1 edit
said by Dones:

How can Teksavvy afford to offer the 150Mbps tier at a reasonable price when 100Mbps cost them $1251/month??? of course people wont be maxing the connection 24/7, but I wouldn't expect anything over 50Mbps during peak.

As you said, it's the peak usage that matters which is the average between the "heavy" and "light" user. The larger the customer base they have, the more stable the peak usage will be (unless everyone gets a speed bump). If there's only five 150Mbps users out of 100,000 users, they're hardly going to affect the peak usage. They won't have to upgrade the links significantly to accommodate the "heavy" users.

That being said, if 25% of the user base wants to upgrade to the 150Mbps tier, then it's not affordable for TSI. That's why the pricing is very important. Low enough to be competitive and high enough to recuperate the operating cost (and to keep everyone from upgrading).

eeeaddict

join:2010-02-14
Reviews:
·WIND Mobile
·Distributel Cable
For some reason I don't see them offering it, but on the other hand EVERYONE that I've heard who had an intrest for that package really only wanted the faster upload and wouldn't that make ZERO DIFFERENCE to TSI because of the asymmetrical upload speeds? oh and a 10GB file would take only 8 minutes to get so unless they download for the sake of doing it I don't see usage being too crazy

Perma

join:2011-12-20
reply to epsilon3
I'm fine with my download speeds, I just want some higher upload!

Teddy Boom
k kudos Received
Premium
join:2007-01-29
Toronto, ON
kudos:22
reply to xdrag
said by xdrag:

As you said, it's the peak usage that matters which is the average between the "heavy" and "light" user. The larger the customer base they have, the more stable the peak usage will be (unless everyone gets a speed bump). If there's only five 150Mbps users out of 100,000 users, they're hardly going to affect the peak usage. They won't have to upgrade the links significantly to accommodate the "heavy" users.

This is not the way I would think about it, but I guess it makes a certain amount of sense. Only if you assume usage caps and overage billing though. There is no chance there will ever be unlimited at that speed unless capacity costs come way way down.
--
electronicsguru.ca

coolspot18

join:2012-10-23
reply to Perma
I need more upstream too:

mikee

join:2012-12-21
Gloucester, ON
kudos:1
I'm sure all cable users can agree we're lacking a lot of upload speed... It's 2012 canada needs to catch up to europe/japan/south korea etc. I don't know why we can't get 100mbps up & down for 50-60$ a month like those countries, super lame.

Johny

join:2012-12-06
reply to chooch1911
me too hahaha

ObviousGuy

@teksavvy.com
reply to mikee
Really? You don't know why Canada lags behind those countries (and Europe is fairly broad - some countries (e.g. nordic) have great internet speeds, but others are atrocious)? Here's a hint: geography and population density (not to mention lack of competition).

eeeaddict

join:2010-02-14
geography and population density? explain the AMAZING speeds in Sweden?

resa1983
Premium
join:2008-03-10
North York, ON
kudos:10
reply to ObviousGuy
said by ObviousGuy :

Really? You don't know why Canada lags behind those countries (and Europe is fairly broad - some countries (e.g. nordic) have great internet speeds, but others are atrocious)? Here's a hint: geography and population density (not to mention lack of competition).

Population density in the cities is high enough.. I mean hell.. If they were worried about that, they could always just decide to string up condos & apartment buildings first.. Instead they're treating it like an experiment (as if FTTH isn't going to be wide-spread), and only installing FTTH in new neighbourhoods being constructed in the outskirts of Toronto.

You'd think they'd even do FTTH in the richer areas of Toronto (Bridle Path, etc), but nada.
--
Battle.net Tech Support MVP

koreyb
Open the Canadian Market NOW

join:2005-01-08
East York, ON
reply to epsilon3
FTTH is available from local small independent phone providers for a great price i might add.. I have never understood why the BIG BOYS can't do it if they can.

mlerner
Premium
join:2000-11-25
Nepean, ON
kudos:5
said by koreyb:

FTTH is available from local small independent phone providers for a great price i might add.. I have never understood why the BIG BOYS can't do it if they can.

Because the big boys have billions of dollars in existing infrastructure they don't want to tear up until they have to e.g. competition or equipment depreciation.

Sanek

join:2006-08-10
Kanata, ON
reply to ObviousGuy
said by ObviousGuy :

That's a BS argument. Canada has many cities with varying population densities. You don't have to upgrade the entire country - it is quite vast, but you could pick a place and go from there.

I love that Rogers was finally upgrading their infrastructure this year (although my download speed is still 1/2 of the promised speed due to area congestion AKA Rogers putting too many people on the same node to save some money). Even with all the upgrades and essentially charging them to the customers with the usual yearly price increases, they still manage to rip people off with their plans.

bdoyledimou

join:2002-08-20
Markham, ON
reply to eeeaddict
which ignore the fact that 90% of the Canadian populace lives within a 200 km band along the us border -- and also that some 2nd world countries in Europe (say Portugal) offer 45mbps cable and dsl to homes in the MOUNTAINS -- hard to get more remote than that

Leathal
Premium
join:2002-02-09
canada
kudos:2
reply to Dones
said by Dones:

100Mbps cable and 100Mbps fiber are two separate things.

bt

join:2009-02-26
canada
said by Leathal:

100Mbps cable and 100Mbps fiber are two separate things.

But the numbers Donelop used are the two components of TPIA. Can't use one without the other.

Anaron

join:2005-01-28
North York, ON
reply to epsilon3
Why is the CRTC taking so long to make their decision?

bt

join:2009-02-26
canada

1 edit
said by Anaron:

Christmas break. Their offices are closed until Jan 7th, I believe.

Late edit: According to the CRTC website, there will be no releases through Jan 3rd, so we could see it as early as the 4th.

mlerner
Premium
join:2000-11-25
Nepean, ON
So by the time they're back in the office, expect a decision near the end of January.

TwiztedZero
Nine Zero Burp Nine Six
Premium
join:2011-03-31
Toronto, ON
said by mlerner:

So by the time they're back in the office, expect a decision near the end of January.

Expects an ultimate decision by 2015 at the very least
- after 2026 I won't care quite so much.

resa1983
Premium
join:2008-03-10
North York, ON
kudos:10
reply to mlerner
said by mlerner:

Lol... Wouldn't be surprised...

But I also wouldn't be surprised if they work a bit through the break to reply to the Part 1 application, as this really is a major issue.

The fact that it's taken longer than any of the other Part 1 Applications in the past, shows that they're probably putting quite a bit of thought into it.
--
Battle.net Tech Support MVP

join:2007-09-06
Etobicoke, ON
reply to mikee
said by mikee:

I'm sure all cable users can agree we're lacking a lot of upload speed... It's 2012 canada needs to catch up to europe/japan/south korea etc. I don't know why we can't get 100mbps up & down for 50-60$ a month like those countries, super lame.

You can only do 100Mbps up via a fibre fed service at the moment. European carriers are planning to or are just starting to roll out VDSL2 Vectoring which will allow for 100Mbps up when used in conjunction with line bonding. Even with DOCSIS 3.1 it'll be a stretch to offer 100Mbps up without splitting nodes even further, but offering say 50Mbps up with DOCSIS 3.1 would be feasible.

Etobicoke, ON
reply to ObviousGuy
said by ObviousGuy :

It's a lack of competition. The population density issue is just a lame excuse that does not hold water within the major Canadian cities.

Etobicoke, ON
reply to resa1983
said by resa1983:

You'd think they'd even do FTTH in the richer areas of Toronto (Bridle Path, etc), but nada.

Rogers will be rolling out FTTH to be able to compete with Bell with their higher speed tiers. They don't have a choice. They're prototyping how they are going to roll out the FTTH service. What they've done in some neighbourhoods now using RFoG is not how they'll be rolling out FTTH elsewhere.

Dones

join:2008-02-14
Toronto, ON
reply to epsilon3
I know everyone here wants more upload speed but look on the bright side, you get to brag that you only had 1Mbps of upload in 2013.

Sure it sucks, but it would be a great conversation starter with girls.

Anaron

join:2005-01-28
North York, ON
reply to bt
said by bt:

said by Anaron:

Christmas break. Their offices are closed until Jan 7th, I believe.

I see. I hope they make a decision before the end of January.

kb8618

join:2012-12-28
reply to compchris
But they advertise it as being bumped form 10/0.5 to 25/2.

Will Teksavvy get this speed increase?