uniqs
The Mongoose
join:2010-01-05
Toronto, ON

The Mongoose to jmck

to jmck

Re: New speeds Rogers cable - Teksavvy watch out

said by jmck:

agreed, it's impossible to actually upload any decent data these days with 1mbit. I'm going to be cancelling and placing an order with Start and I'll even jump up to the 45/4 package for the extra 1mbit upload. previously that package didn't make much sense since all you got was an extra 3-4mbit downstream and same upstream.

I'm going to wait it out and give TSI a chance to get these speeds, but I get your decision. If you don't mind, please drop back in and let me/us know how the new 45/4 is running. Good luck!
bt
join:2009-02-26
canada

bt

said by The Mongoose:

said by jmck:

agreed, it's impossible to actually upload any decent data these days with 1mbit. I'm going to be cancelling and placing an order with Start and I'll even jump up to the 45/4 package for the extra 1mbit upload. previously that package didn't make much sense since all you got was an extra 3-4mbit downstream and same upstream.

I'm going to wait it out and give TSI a chance to get these speeds

TSI won't get 45/4 until they switch to aggregated, as 32/1 wasn't available to them either.

jmck
formerly 'shaded'
join:2010-10-02
Ottawa, ON

jmck to The Mongoose

to The Mongoose
I won't actually switch for another ~2 weeks since my TSI monthly service was just renewed on the 10th. Also moving from one TPIA to another means you can also waive the installation fee, moving between providers should be as simple as waiting for Rogers to change your modem's registration on the switch day.

It does take 10 days to do a TPIA move without having to pay the install tho.
The Mongoose
Toronto, ON

The Mongoose to bt

to bt
said by bt:

said by The Mongoose:

said by jmck:

I'm going to wait it out and give TSI a chance to get these speeds

TSI won't get 45/4 until they switch to aggregated, as 32/1 wasn't available to them either.

True. I am hoping for the free upgrade to 35/3 under speed-matching, if the CRTC mandates it. 45/4 can come later.
geokilla
join:2010-10-04
North York, ON

geokilla

Teksavvy could have avoided all this by choosing to prep for the move to APOI. But they chose not to and continued to upgrade their IPOI. Yes it's expensive to make the switch, but you have to switch sooner or later, so why not do it sooner?
resa1983
Premium Member
join:2008-03-10
North York, ON

1 recommendation

resa1983

Premium Member

said by geokilla:

Teksavvy could have avoided all this by choosing to prep for the move to APOI. But they chose not to and continued to upgrade their IPOI. Yes it's expensive to make the switch, but you have to switch sooner or later, so why not do it sooner?

They're prepping now. Teksavvy has posted that there were contract issues, and that there was infighting at Rogers regarding TSI's disagg vs agg issue.
bt
join:2009-02-26
canada

bt to geokilla

to geokilla
said by geokilla:

Yes it's expensive to make the switch, but you have to switch sooner or later, so why not do it sooner?

Because they've got better margins on IPOI, and can better recoup the investments they've already made by sticking with IPOI in the short term.

Teddy Boom
k kudos Received
Premium Member
join:2007-01-29
Toronto, ON

Teddy Boom to bt

Premium Member

to bt
said by bt:

I've sometimes seen suggestion that Teksavvy has chosen not to offer one speed tier that they have access to. They certainly don't have access to the 75/150 tier though. Kind of a moot point, of course. Even if it is by choice, they aren't going to change it before the switch to aggregated. Teksavvy won't do 45/4 until the fall at the earliest.

35/3 could be here soon though.

BACONATOR26
Premium Member
join:2000-11-25
Nepean, ON

BACONATOR26

Premium Member

They do have access to the 75/2 tier on a non-aggregated basis as specified in the tariff, but they can barely sustain the POI link capacity as it is.
nitric
join:2012-01-29

nitric

I hope this gets answered soon. If they don't get the speeds I'll probably end up going to start. A 3-4 fold increase in upload speed is too much to pass up.

If Teksavvy at least gets the 35/3 I'll hang around but the speeds are just too damn good to pass up.
sethrocon3
join:2013-01-12

sethrocon3

I agree with you here, I will stick around but my main concern right now is upload. I only heard about Start just now haha, so it seems like something worth considering.

XNemesis
join:2002-11-16
Kitchener, ON

XNemesis to epsilon3

to epsilon3
I wonder how many are considering the switch to Start for these higher speeds (especially upload) if TSI doesn't manage to match or at least offer something comparable within the next month or two. People have waited so long for better uploads on cable, it feels like a dam waiting to bust.
nitric

nitric

said by XNemesis:

I wonder how many are considering the switch to Start for these higher speeds (especially upload) if TSI doesn't manage to match or at least offer something comparable within the next month or two. People have waited so long for better uploads on cable, it feels like a dam waiting to bust.

A lot. They're offering 45/4 (nearly double the down, four times the up) for $13 more and 50GB more cap. For a few dollars more you can get 35/3 though with 50GB less.

The only users I can see not changing over are those who need unlimited or those that are die hard teksavvy fans. I consider myself a heavy downloader but reaching 200GB is not something I do often.

I haven't had any issues outside of the initial install and I like the company but in the end I'm a consumer and will take the better deal. If Teksavvy can bring at least 35/3 with their current overage settings I would stay... otherwise I'll go with start.
sethrocon3

sethrocon3

I changed my mind, after 3 weeks I will switch in a heart beat. If you want to be the best, you have to stay on top of things. No offence but the first time Teksavvy heard of this change was from a post on this forum.

I will go with the cheapest most competitive ISP, how else do you think the rest of the world is so far ahead of us in Canada? It seems the consumer is too soft on the ISP's.

If I switch to Start and Teksavvy makes a better offer later, I will switch back.

TwiztedZero
Nine Zero Burp Nine Six
Premium Member
join:2011-03-31
Toronto, ON

TwiztedZero

Premium Member

Flip flopping like a fish, every time you hear this or that speed + rate costing is better on the other side of the pasture, then laying out the funds to switch over then back then over from isp to isp repeatedly must get kind of spendy; especially if you're doing it quite frequently eh?

Is this kind of churn, really saving you money in the long run?

Not to be critical, but I'm just curious.
sethrocon3

sethrocon3

If start doesn't charge any setup fee for switching over then it's worth it. I have no problems with Teksavvy internet and my uptime, never down in the last 5 months over cable. (cuz I always set secondary DNS to 8.8.8.8 lol) But as I said earlier they have to keep on top of things. 1mbps-4mbps in the Canadian ISP world is massive, plus the extra 17mbps down speed...

Flip flop is worth it, drive the industry. Especially with what I would like from my ISP. I would rather have slower download speed with more equal upload speed if it were up to me, I love the sound of 25/10 dsl but its not offered in my area.

(sorry for my terrible grammer and spelling, I am a tool and die maker!)
geokilla
North York, ON

geokilla to bt

to bt
said by bt:

said by geokilla:

Yes it's expensive to make the switch, but you have to switch sooner or later, so why not do it sooner?

Because they've got better margins on IPOI, and can better recoup the investments they've already made by sticking with IPOI in the short term.

And in the long term, they pay more costs. Example I used in the other thread:

How? If I spend $50k to upgrade my IPOIs, then $200k to switch to APOI, why don't I just save that $50k and spend up to $250k to switch to APOI instead? I remember reading somewhere that the IPOI links currently used will all be useless when they switch to APOI.

Now I'm taking random numbers as an example and keeping it simple. Obviously there's more to it as resa said there were contractual obligations that had to be resolved. But it still baffles me. What you want is efficient spending of money, not inefficient.
Gami00
join:2010-03-11
Mississauga, ON

1 edit

Gami00

said by geokilla:

And in the long term, they pay more costs. Example I used in the other thread:

How? If I spend $50k to upgrade my IPOIs, then $200k to switch to APOI, why don't I just save that $50k and spend up to $250k to switch to APOI instead? I remember reading somewhere that the IPOI links currently used will all be useless when they switch to APOI.

Now I'm taking random numbers as an example and keeping it simple. Obviously there's more to it as resa said there were contractual obligations that had to be resolved. But it still baffles me. What you want is efficient spending of money, not inefficient.

your example is worthless... since Tek did IPOI almost 2 years earlier then APOI came about.

their option two years ago, was to not have cable services.. or to have cable services and have customers on cable.
that's it.. those were the options..

fast forward to today.. they have existing IPOI investments. APOI is the only option to get going forward but they can still use IPOI and are force to go to APOI in x years time.. they are going to go to APOI right at the end of X years time..

They won't be adding anymore IPOI links as that is not sold anymore to them.

MJB33

MJB33

Teksavvy needs to stop using the (Bell / Cogeco / Rogers / Videotron / Telus / Shaw) networks and build their own. The high costs that they have to pay the incumbents isp (capacity based billing) is increasing the cost of certain plans and eliminating unlimited internet access. They would be better off if they build and lay their own fiber /dsl/cable. Anything to get off the tail of incumbent isps that just want UBB/CBB for all Canadians.. and put the independents out of business
Gami00
join:2010-03-11
Mississauga, ON

Gami00

said by MJB33:

Teksavvy needs to stop using the (Bell / Cogeco / Rogers / Videotron / Telus / Shaw) networks and build their own. The high costs that they have to pay the incumbents isp (capacity based billing) is increasing the cost of certain plans and eliminating unlimited internet access. They would be better off if they build and lay their own fiber /dsl/cable. Anything to get off the tail of incumbent isps that just want UBB/CBB for all Canadians.. and put the independents out of business

This was already answer a long time ago by Rocky himself.. He mentioned that even if you had a few Billion dollars to wire up GTA, it would never actually happen.

the main issue being that most of the poles you would need to run your line through is NOT owned by the City.. Most are in fact owned by the Power Utilities Bell and Rogers.

From the Bell example alone, they would reject every engineering design to be re-check at a cost of $100k every validation, with 2 to 3 months delay per check per instance of where your wiring through.

now, if the city owned all the poles necessary to get to your residence. They could totally do the "4th wire" thing. And provide service via it.
The Mongoose
Toronto, ON

The Mongoose to MJB33

to MJB33
said by MJB33:

I'm sure if anyone has a few billion dollars to invest they'd be all ears.
nitric

nitric to TwiztedZero

to TwiztedZero
said by TwiztedZero:

Flip flopping like a fish, every time you hear this or that speed + rate costing is better on the other side of the pasture, then laying out the funds to switch over then back then over from isp to isp repeatedly must get kind of spendy; especially if you're doing it quite frequently eh?

When someone changes from Rogers to Teksavvy does that make them a 'flip flopper'? I came to Teksavvy because of the pricing and bandwidth caps. I guess I stabbed Rogers in the back and kicked his dog too?

If you're with a TPIA then you get a free transfer to Start. Let's say I had to pay the fee and Teksavvy wouldn't get the upgraded speeds for a year. I'm paying an extra $4 a month to be able to get a huge upgrade in upload speed and a decent kick to download. That's well worth it to me and I'm certain to many others.

As I said, I don't have anything against Teksavvy. Hell, I don't have anything against Rogers. But as a consumer I'm going to go with what is best for me. If Teksavvy gives a decent offering like 35/3 then I'll likely stay but keeping 28/1 when I can get a HUGE boost for a simple transfer... it's a no brainer. It would be much less hassle if they do.. so honestly I hope they do.
The Mongoose
Toronto, ON

The Mongoose

said by nitric:

said by TwiztedZero:

When someone changes from Rogers to Teksavvy does that make them a 'flip flopper'? I came to Teksavvy because of the pricing and bandwidth caps. I guess I stabbed Rogers in the back and kicked his dog too?

If you're with a TPIA then you get a free transfer to Start. Let's say I had to pay the fee and Teksavvy wouldn't get the upgraded speeds for a year. I'm paying an extra $4 a month to be able to get a huge upgrade in upload speed and a decent kick to download. That's well worth it to me and I'm certain to many others.

As I said, I don't have anything against Teksavvy. Hell, I don't have anything against Rogers. But as a consumer I'm going to go with what is best for me. If Teksavvy gives a decent offering like 35/3 then I'll likely stay but keeping 28/1 when I can get a HUGE boost for a simple transfer... it's a no brainer. It would be much less hassle if they do.. so honestly I hope they do.

Yeah, there's really no arguing with this. Consumers are going to do what's best for them, and there are really no barriers to switching from one non-contract service to another in this case. If TSI can't get the upgraded speeds in a reasonable amount of time, I think a lot of people are going to be looking at that Start offer and thinking that a 200% upload bump is worth $4 a month and 50GB of usage.
34764170 (banned)
join:2007-09-06
Etobicoke, ON

1 edit

34764170 (banned) to nitric

to nitric
said by nitric:

A lot. They're offering 45/4 (nearly double the down, four times the up) for $13 more and 50GB more cap. For a few dollars more you can get 35/3 though with 50GB less.

I'd love the faster upstream speeds and have no need for faster downstream but I cannot even remotely consider Start without an unlimited option. The caps are way way too low. On an average month I'd be lucky to go two weeks before hitting the cap.
geokilla
North York, ON

geokilla

said by 34764170:

said by nitric:

I'd love the faster upstream speeds and have no need for faster downstream but I cannot even remotely consider Start without an unlimited option. The caps are way way too low. On an average month I'd be lucky to go two weeks before hitting the cap.

What the hell are you downloading? lol
Expand your moderator at work
MaynardKrebs
We did it. We heaved Steve. Yipee.
Premium Member
join:2009-06-17

MaynardKrebs to geokilla

Premium Member

to geokilla

Re: New speeds Rogers cable - Teksavvy watch out

said by geokilla:

said by 34764170:

said by nitric:

What the hell are you downloading? lol

Every single out-of-copyright work in existence?
Of course with all the copyright extensions put into law, I'm pretty sure that even the Ten Commandments are under copyright protection by now, and probably owned by Disney.

Fayth
@teksavvy.com

Fayth

Anon

Well, I can't speak for the OP, but myself and 2 other in my home pretty much watch netflix, youtube, or twitch streams on our second monitors while we do other stuff in our spare time. I know when we had rogers we were using 400-600 GB of usage per month, and paying the 50 dollar max penalty per month for usage. We also all game on PC, so game downloads on Steam contribute to that, especially during sales. So Teksavvy is still the best option for us.
chrisl83
join:2011-06-21
Almonte, ON

chrisl83 to geokilla

to geokilla
if you only watch streaming video as your form of entertainment it adds up.. and fast.
stevey_frac
join:2009-12-09
Cambridge, ON

stevey_frac to geokilla

to geokilla
SuperHD Netflix uses 7mbit. Now, my wife and I tend to watch different stuff, and often at the same time, so most evenings we're pushing 14 mbit for 5 ish hours a night.

(14 (Mbit / s)) * 5 hours * 30 = 922.851562 gigabytes

And that's assuming I don't want any additional TV on Saturdays, and that I my son watches nothing, and that the internet has no additional uses other than TV. No updates get downloaded, no games get downloaded, etc...

Now, right now, not everything is in SuperHD, so I'm probably not going to do 900 GB this month. But streaming video quality is not something i'm expecting to decline over time...

--Steve