join:2011-03-31
Toronto, ON

TwiztedZero to 34764170

Premium Member

to 34764170

Re: New speeds Rogers cable - Teksavvy watch out

said by 34764170:

said by TwiztedZero:

There will only be 4 channel upstreams on DOCSIS 3.0 as far as I know.

Incorrect. There is no defined limit to the number of channels with DOCSIS 3.0. Broadcom and Intel will have DOCSIS 3.0 32 x 8 chipsets out by the middle of next year.

Hmmm yeah thats a possiblity since D3.0 and D3.1 use different signal spectrums with the later using higher QAM modulations.
I think I'll set aside some time to go over the DOCSIS specs again and get myself caught up.
34764170 (banned)
join:2007-09-06
Etobicoke, ON

34764170 (banned)

said by TwiztedZero:

Hmmm yeah thats a possiblity since D3.0 and D3.1 use different signal spectrums with the later using higher QAM modulations.
I think I'll set aside some time to go over the DOCSIS specs again and get myself caught up.

3.1 will be using different modulation techniques to increase the efficiency of the spectrum being used. 3.0/3.1 will co-exist just as 3.0 does with 2.0. 3.1 will have a very heavy focus on upstream speeds since that is DOCSIS' achilles heel.

34764170 (banned) to asfsf3

to asfsf3
said by asfsf3 :

what's sad is that im only getting 10mbps out of my 18mbps connection (((

What time of day and what modem are you using?
bbhog
join:2010-07-05
North York, ON

bbhog to epsilon3

to epsilon3
Awesome, we were just talking about the upload speeds earlier in the week and then it gets announced
I'm on 28/1. I was quite happy when it was 24/1 and I could definitely be satisfied with 25/2 going forward. However I'm excited to get 35/3 and will probably keep the service as is.

I really don't like Rogers, and hope never to be a direct customer, but you have to admit, as a TPIA rogers cable subscriber they have been very good to us.

metalhawk
join:2007-02-06
Nepean, ON

metalhawk

said by bbhog:

but you have to admit, as a TPIA rogers cable subscriber they have been very good to us.

It's not by choice. If they were not mandated by the CRTC we would be lucky to get 5/0.5 (or even less) for a lot more than we're paying now.

jmck
formerly 'shaded'
join:2010-10-02
Ottawa, ON

jmck to epsilon3

to epsilon3
The new packages make Extreme Plus significantly better than Extreme (currently only a 4Mbit difference, same upload) and might actually make me consider jumping to Start.ca which offers that package unlike TSI. The increased upstream is what really interests me and might actually allow me to do some streaming.
Webslinger
Premium Member
join:2004-05-01

Webslinger

Premium Member

said by jmck:

The new packages make Extreme Plus significantly better than Extreme (currently only a 4Mbit difference, same upload) and might actually make me consider jumping to Start.ca which offers that package unlike TSI.

Yeah, it's really about time that Teksavvy started to address aggregated POIs. I would prefer to stay with Teksavvy, but . . .

jmck
formerly 'shaded'
Ottawa, ON

jmck

i raised the aggregated POI issue in an earlier thread asking TSI if/when they plan to move to it but got no response.

also unless I'm blind, there doesn't seem to be a Start.ca DSLreports forum, so i was curious if the monthly caps were the same situation as TSI/Rogers where they have no way to currently monitor your usage.
mjollymo
join:2011-05-07
K7K0G3

mjollymo

said by jmck:

i raised the aggregated POI issue in an earlier thread asking TSI if/when they plan to move to it but got no response.

also unless I'm blind, there doesn't seem to be a Start.ca DSLreports forum, so i was curious if the monthly caps were the same situation as TSI/Rogers where they have no way to currently monitor your usage.

Here you go »Start.ca

I am on the fence between TSI and Start. I like TSI for their unlimited package, but I am liking Start for the higher speed tiers. I have some time to decide before my Rogers contract is up, may wait and see how the upgrade in speeds plays out.

mike21321
@teksavvy.com

mike21321

Anon

agreed if tech savvy doesn't get this speed bump and start.ca does because they are on aggregated POI im gonna be jumping ship especially because i wont have to pay the 50* activation fee and already bought my modem from techsavvy.
resa1983
Premium Member
join:2008-03-10
North York, ON

resa1983 to jmck

Premium Member

to jmck
said by jmck:

Probably holding off as long as possible due to higher prices compared to current non-agg prices. Also, they'd have to pay a ton of fees to set up the new POI - you know that Rogers will try to find a way to charge TSI twice.. "Oh, you need to pay for these routers." Meanwhile, Rogers just moves them from one POI to York Mills' agg, and gets paid twice.

MJB33
join:2012-01-29

MJB33 to epsilon3

to epsilon3
it's time for canada and usa to stand up for better internet prices and speed..

example 500 mbits download / 250mbits upload
unlimited internet

for 59.99

TSI Jonathan
Premium Member
join:2011-08-24
Chatham, ON

TSI Jonathan

Premium Member

...and as the technician goes to connect your 500 Mbps connection you wake up and go "man that would be awesome!"

Upsidedown
@utoronto.ca

Upsidedown

Anon

said by TSI Jonathan:

...and as the technician goes to connect your 500 Mbps connection you wake up and go "man that would be awesome!"

My brother has 1G/1G fiber in Stockholm and hes paying a hundred something USD equivalent a month. Canada and the US wont be seeing anything close to that within 10 years.
stevey_frac
join:2009-12-09
Cambridge, ON

stevey_frac to epsilon3

to epsilon3
So, I'm on the 28 / 1 package currently. Assuming Rogers rolls out their new speeds, and Teksavvy picks them up, and passes them to their customers, does this mean i'll be getting 35/2?

The double the upload would be nice.

--Steve
34764170 (banned)
Etobicoke, ON

34764170 (banned) to Webslinger

to Webslinger
said by Webslinger:

Yeah, it's really about time that Teksavvy started to address aggregated POIs. I would prefer to stay with Teksavvy, but . . .

Yeah, it's really about time that Start started to address the lack of unlimited options.
buttaknife
join:2007-06-01

buttaknife to Upsidedown

to Upsidedown
said by Upsidedown :

said by TSI Jonathan:

My brother has 1G/1G fiber in Stockholm and hes paying a hundred something USD equivalent a month. Canada and the US wont be seeing anything close to that within 10 years.

The only fiber we be getting is the the "fibre" in our cereals.

BACONATOR26
Premium Member
join:2000-11-25
Nepean, ON

BACONATOR26

Premium Member

said by buttaknife:

said by Upsidedown :

said by TSI Jonathan:

The only fiber we be getting is the the "fibre" in our cereals.

Only if you live within 2 km of select grocery stores.

tristen1230
join:2010-12-26
Belleville, ON

tristen1230 to epsilon3

to epsilon3
How hard is it to offer Fiber or 1Gig internet. For christ sake this is the 21st century. Why is Canada and the US especially Canada lacking so much on Internet. You go to the UK Unlimited fast speed cheap while here in Canada you got Hell, Robbers and Cogeco capping you and small speeds at high prices.
mlord
join:2006-11-05
Kanata, ON

mlord

Not all of Canada is so backward.

Much of my family, spread out around New Brunswick as they be, have FTTH, with offerings such as 75/75 mbit/sec and no caps. Here in Ontario, we have more choices, none of them nearly as good.
34764170 (banned)
Etobicoke, ON

34764170 (banned) to tristen1230

to tristen1230
said by tristen1230:

How hard is it to offer Fiber or 1Gig internet. For christ sake this is the 21st century. Why is Canada and the US especially Canada lacking so much on Internet. You go to the UK Unlimited fast speed cheap while here in Canada you got Hell, Robbers and Cogeco capping you and small speeds at high prices.

1Gb Internet implies the use of fibre. Personally I don't care so much about GigE Internet connections. What is more important is setting the bar high enough for everyone. I'd rather see almost everyone with the ability to acquire a 100Mbps Internet connection and for reasonable pricing than say 5% - 10% of the population having access to GigE meanwhile so many are lucky to have a 3Mbps connection.

jmck
formerly 'shaded'
Ottawa, ON

jmck to 34764170

to 34764170
said by 34764170:

said by Webslinger:

Yeah, it's really about time that Start started to address the lack of unlimited options.

For Rogers territory, Start is currently unlimited. Like TSI Rogers provides no usage tracking to them.

pnjunction
Teksavvy Extreme
Premium Member
join:2008-01-24
Toronto, ON

pnjunction to stevey_frac

Premium Member

to stevey_frac
said by stevey_frac:

So, I'm on the 28 / 1 package currently. Assuming Rogers rolls out their new speeds, and Teksavvy picks them up, and passes them to their customers, does this mean i'll be getting 35/2?

It should be 35/3. I'm stoked.

JenSuisUn
Premium Member
join:2006-02-23
Chatham, ON

JenSuisUn to epsilon3

Premium Member

to epsilon3
How fast does Docsis 2 allow for upstream? (single channel) I'm hoping that our express customers won't be affected when the speed changes start to apply.
34764170 (banned)
Etobicoke, ON

34764170 (banned) to jmck

to jmck
said by jmck:

For Rogers territory, Start is currently unlimited. Like TSI Rogers provides no usage tracking to them.

Its a moot point when I already have proper options for unlimited. I am not going to move to Start just to knowingly defraud them for no gain for myself.

Teddy Boom
k kudos Received
Premium Member
join:2007-01-29
Toronto, ON

Teddy Boom to JenSuisUn

Premium Member

to JenSuisUn
said by JenSuisUn:

How fast does Docsis 2 allow for upstream? (single channel) I'm hoping that our express customers won't be affected when the speed changes start to apply.

"""D2 is theoretically capable of 2mbit upload (in fact 2.7mbit per this »docsis.org/node/69)"""
34764170 (banned)
Etobicoke, ON

34764170 (banned)

said by Teddy Boom:

"""D2 is theoretically capable of 2mbit upload (in fact 2.7mbit per this »docsis.org/node/69)"""

You'll probably be lucky to achieve 1Mbps at peak hours with so many TPIA users trying to stretch out D2 modems. The TPIA users just screw themselves.
Webslinger
Premium Member
join:2004-05-01

Webslinger to 34764170

Premium Member

to 34764170
X
Webslinger

Webslinger to 34764170

Premium Member

to 34764170
said by 34764170:

said by Webslinger:

I'm not on an unlimited plan with Teksavvy currently--nor will I ever come close to 400Gb per month, so I couldn't possibly care less. But sure, Start should offer unlimited plans at higher tiers.
34764170 (banned)
Etobicoke, ON

34764170 (banned)

said by Webslinger:

I'm not on an unlimited plan with Teksavvy currently--nor will I ever come close to 400Gb per month, so I couldn't possibly care less. But sure, Start should offer unlimited plans at higher tiers.

I am and for the speed tier I want its 200GB. I'd easily go over that every single month.