how-to block ads

Search Topic:
uniqs
share rss forum feed

daeron

join:2012-05-11
Ottawa

Speed bump in Rogers Areas?

Will this have an impact on speeds offered by Start?

»[Extreme Plus] New Speeds Effective December 1st

bt

join:2009-02-26
canada
kudos:1
Also curious, as I might need a new modem to take advantage of it.

rocca
Start.ca
Premium
join:2008-11-16
London, ON
kudos:23
reply to daeron
Yes I suspect so, we have not received official word yet but the package changes will flow out to us as well.

Teddy Boom
k kudos Received
Premium
join:2007-01-29
Toronto, ON
kudos:21
Big cost implications with those changes, yikes! And those poor DCM425s are looking less attractive now that Docsis 2 isn't so appropriate for Express

There is a gaping hole between 6mbit/256kbit and 25mbit/2mbit!
--
electronicsguru.ca

damir52
SFRJ
Premium
join:2003-05-24
reply to rocca
said by rocca:

Yes I suspect so, we have not received official word yet but the package changes will flow out to us as well.

Will the bandwidth cap stay the same on current 32\1 package? 400 GB

Thanks
--
www.urimage.net - Free Image Hosting

silvercat

join:2007-11-07
Reviews:
·Start Communicat..
said by damir52:

Thanks

It's interesting, but after changing from 10 mbit/sec Cogeco Business to 30/2 Start package, i don't see my bandwidth consumption going up -- just things download a lot quicker. But that doesn't mean that the bandwidth cap shouldn't be increased. Maybe might have to wait for the CRTC to mandate lower wholesale prices.

rocca
Start.ca
Premium
London, ON
reply to damir52
said by damir52:

Yes, cost still the same too.

dan mackay

join:2008-10-11
Barrie, ON
reply to daeron
well, like I said in the rogers forum, these bumps in speed make the 32 package less useless (larger then 4 Mbit speed difference)

rocca
Start.ca
Premium
London, ON
For many people the speeds of 18/28/32 are all irrelevant (all of them are 'fast') and it's been about the usage component.

Gone
Premium
join:2011-01-24
Fort Erie, ON
kudos:4
reply to silvercat
said by silvercat:

It's interesting, but after changing from 10 mbit/sec Cogeco Business to 30/2 Start package, i don't see my bandwidth consumption going up -- just things download a lot quicker.

This is usually the case for most people - usage either only very slightly increases, or stays the same.

bestjsg

join:2002-03-13
Markham, Ont
Reviews:
·Start Communicat..
reply to daeron
So I just started with Start last week with 18m/512k and since I wasn't sure if cable internet is really for me /my area, I opted to rent the modem and I have received a D2 modem, so when the upgrade hits, is the D2 modem still good for the new speed? Any suggestions?

MichelR

join:2011-07-03
Ottawa, ON
Reviews:
·Start Communicat..
·voip.ms
·Rogers Hi-Speed
reply to Gone
said by Gone:

said by silvercat:

It's interesting, but after changing from 10 mbit/sec Cogeco Business to 30/2 Start package, i don't see my bandwidth consumption going up -- just things download a lot quicker.

This is usually the case for most people - usage either only very slightly increases, or stays the same.

That's what I've been trying to make people understand for years.

jasmo34

join:2008-03-20
London, ON

2 edits
reply to daeron
DSL's 800K and 1M uploads just became a lot less important.

I'm surprised Rogers didn't sneak an upload increase into the 6M plan, just to pound on DSL a little more. Like maybe up to a true 768K, or 1M. Or maybe 801K, just to make their marketing people happy (beating the DSL 800K)! Maybe they will yet.

Hmmm... A relative of mine bought an SB5101N, a Docsis 2 modem, 11 months ago for use with ACANAC's originally 12M cable plan. Then he ran into various excuses from them for not getting service, then finally their official stop-sell (here in London). Then he ran into his own 'financial shortfall'. That modem, that's never been activated, is looking more and more like a fancy doorstop!

He won't get top performance out of that, in primetime, on 25/2, will he?

Maybe I'll buy it from him for $20, and use it on a 6M Cable plan.

edits: ..... nice simple "S" icon for the website, Rocca; better than the blank square! .....

zacsaunders

join:2012-05-12
reply to daeron
Just curious, does start have to follow the same speeds as rogers? or do they make their own? for example rogers network (in some areas) has 10mbps upload, could start throw that 10 up onto any one of their packages?

bt

canada
Start is limited to the speed profiles offered by Rogers (or Cogeco, or Bell, as the case may be).

zacsaunders

join:2012-05-12
I guess I should have re-worded what I was asking, Would it be possible for them to use the 10mbps upload on ALL their packages?
(I know they won't do that but is it technically possible?)

bt

canada
Only if Rogers does first.

bestjsg

join:2002-03-13
Markham, Ont
reply to bestjsg
anyone, any ideas ? thanks.

rocca
Start.ca
Premium
London, ON
Should be fine, depends on the node, if there are problems we can work to investigate.

nirajshah7

join:2008-11-12
Markham, ON
reply to daeron
As per this thread.. changes to speeds are starting from Nov 7.. when will we get this on Start?

»Rogers Interenet Speed Upgrade... It is official now....

damir52
SFRJ
Premium
said by nirajshah7:

As per this thread.. changes to speeds are starting from Nov 7.. when will we get this on Start?

How i see it, if rogers upgrade the area where you at, you will get new speeds right away.

Start doesn't have to do anything (nor they can i think)
--

nirajshah7

join:2008-11-12
Markham, ON
Does Rogers have schedule of what area is upgraded when?

damir52
SFRJ
Premium
I don't think that is available.

It would be 10 km long list :P
--

Teddy Boom
k kudos Received
Premium
join:2007-01-29
Toronto, ON
kudos:21
reply to nirajshah7
said by nirajshah7:

We don't know. What we do know:

Speed matching: The CRTC has ruled that Rogers must offer speed matching to the small companies. Rogers cooperates with that ruling. However, they get to delay, and they play other shenanigans like giving some TPIA providers access to all packages while restricting access to slower packages for other TPIA providers.

TPIA choice: The provider (aka TPIA, aka Start, Teksavvy, Distributel, and maybe CIK) can choose not to be upgraded. For example, Teksavvy has chosen not to automatically upgrade all 3mbit customers to the new 6mbit service, and I believe that Distributel decided not to accept the 12/24 mbit upgrades for a few months after it became available to them.

It would be great to have any more information than we currently have!

(for example, how does the TPIA choice thing actually work on the ground?)
--
electronicsguru.ca

rocca
Start.ca
Premium
London, ON
Waiting for the official details still. As soon as we know I'll update here. Thanks.

bt

canada
Well, the retail details are official and live on the Rogers website. Hopefully the TPIA details aren't far behind!

damir52
SFRJ
Premium

Yep ! ... r we all getting this?:P

--

Gone
Premium
join:2011-01-24
Fort Erie, ON
kudos:4
Former FutureWay areas?

brassy

join:2004-01-09
Brantford, ON
reply to daeron
how about the 30/10 plan with 500 gb quota only available out East.

Guess when there is some semblance of competition, Rogers can actually have something half descent. Of course that will never happen in Ontario.

bt

canada
reply to Gone
said by Gone:

Former FutureWay areas?

Likely a handful of new condos where they installed FTTH then converted to coax on-premises, like TrailWest in Ottawa.