uniqs
share rss forum feed

Velnias

join:2004-07-06

1 recommendation

reply to GlassyMcPete

Re: Do you still use Windows?

Not for security. Use common sense.

HINT: for one OS, there are plenty of security forums, with a hordes of experts, advising, how to prevent infections and clean them afterward...

Link Logger
Premium,MVM
join:2001-03-29
Calgary, AB
kudos:3

1 recommendation

reply to GlassyMcPete

I should also add that I do daily backups as well, but I think of that as more hardware failure protection.

Blake

StuartMW
Who Is John Galt?
Premium
join:2000-08-06
Galt's Gulch
kudos:2
reply to AVD

And I thought is was another Dude111 See Profile post
--
Don't feed trolls--it only makes them grow!

PrntRhd
Premium
join:2004-11-03
Fairfield, CA
Reviews:
·Comcast

1 edit

2 recommendations

reply to GlassyMcPete

Windows is not the main problem right now.
Oracle Java and Adobe Flash and Adobe Reader are much greater issues.
»No MS products on Kaspersky's top 10 vulnerabilities list

ctggzg
Premium
join:2005-02-11
USA

1 recommendation

reply to GlassyMcPete

Computer literacy and (un?)common sense are more effective than running as a limited user, antivirus, and software firewall combined. The vast majority of infections don't happen automatically without your knowledge; most of the time, an ignorant user intentionally takes some action that gets them into trouble. People are always warned not to open suspicious emails or links, but simply OPENING those things is rarely a problem.

antdude
A Ninja Ant
Premium,VIP
join:2001-03-25
United State
kudos:4

1 recommendation

reply to GlassyMcPete

I personally use varieties: Windows (32-bit XP Pro. SP3 to 64-bit 7), Mac OS X (10.5.8 - 10.8.2), and Linux (Debian). They all have their strong and weak points including in security. Pick what is best for your needs and go from there.

ashrc4
Premium
join:2009-02-06
australia

1 edit

1 recommendation

reply to GlassyMcPete

said by GlassyMcPete:

I really don't feel like I am in control of what goes on on my computer which worries me since I have tax data, customer info, etc.

Guessing your a Tax Accountant and therefore would advise that you have someone set-up your computers properly.
Not sure of all the legal requirements but transferring tax details from home to work etc require certain rules/procedures to be followed as a start.

It may come done to who is available to advise/set-up your system and their preference. Mac/Windows. And even the type of software you can run comfortably for your needs.
--
Paradigm Shift beta test pilot. "Dying to defend one's small piece of suburb...Give me something global...STAT!

RayGeode

join:2004-07-21
Norwalk, CT
Reviews:
·Optimum Online

1 edit
reply to GlassyMcPete

I have been with microsoft since 1990 and I had 1 virus which probably came from an unsafe sharing user. 100% use common sense, don't click on any email's you don't recognize the sender, and never click an .exe you were sent. I use AVAST free for home use, and pay for my office use whether AVAST or other.

It's a small price to pay for using the cheapest and most widely used ( therefore compatible ) OS in existence. Lots of free or cheap programs etc, and WIN7 is stablest and best by far. Why fool with anything else?

said by GlassyMcPete:

.....something that can be hacked in a day or two....

???? Do you think that someone is waiting for you to fire up your new windows laptop, then gets to work hacking , and in a day you are toast? Forgive me, but this naive point of view only points more to the fact that you really need something simple to use. Not a mix mash of operating systems unless you want to devote much of your next 6 months learning the finer points of computer operation.

The truth is that the virus code to make your computer toast has been written and deployed already, but just like mud puddles, you just sidestep them and they never get you.
Expand your moderator at work

EUS
Kill cancer
Premium
join:2002-09-10
canada
Reviews:
·voip.ms

2 edits

2 recommendations

Even if not gaming, I'd need a copy of windows just for my tax software. WINE virtualization has not worked, and no freakin' way I'm doing my taxes online with a string of unlisted "strategic partners" that would have access to my tax info, that would be stored in the cloud, who do not guarantee in any way that my info is safe from theft/abuse.
So that's "what's wrong" with some of us.
--
~ Project Hope ~

Dustyn
Premium
join:2003-02-26
Ontario, CAN
kudos:10

2 recommendations

reply to GlassyMcPete

said by GlassyMcPete:

Is there and OS that is simpler than Windows in what it does and what it installs where and where the user the can easily be in control or what is happening on the machine she owns?

Sure. MS-DOS.
--
Remember that cool hidden "Graffiti Wall" here on BBR? After the name change I became the "owner", so to speak as it became: Dustyn's Wall »[Serious] RIP

chrisretusn
Retired
Premium
join:2007-08-13
Philippines
kudos:1
reply to EUS

One of the reasons I still use Windows; in a VirtualBox virtual machine.
--
Chris
Living in Paradise!!

Expand your moderator at work

StuartMW
Who Is John Galt?
Premium
Galt's Gulch
reply to Dustyn

said by Dustyn:

Sure. MS-DOS.

And I have PC-DOS 2.10 through MS-DOS 6.22 in VM's
--

not

@comcast.net
reply to GlassyMcPete

Moved to Mac and still use Avast. Not running a security suite on a system is like leaving your doors unlocked because you think you live in a safe neighborhood. Never going to happen, no matter what. When we move to AI systems with built in aware self defense, give me a call and I'll stop using security software.

AVD
Respice, Adspice, Prospice
Premium
join:2003-02-06
Onion, NJ

I'm gonna go there. All you need is a rock solid firewall and you are good to go.
--
* seek help if having trouble coping
--Standard disclaimers apply.--

antdude
A Ninja Ant
Premium,VIP
join:2001-03-25
United State
kudos:4
Reviews:
·Time Warner Cable
reply to Dustyn

said by Dustyn:

said by GlassyMcPete:

Is there and OS that is simpler than Windows in what it does and what it installs where and where the user the can easily be in control or what is happening on the machine she owns?

Sure. MS-DOS.

Or any DOS (not just MS'), Linux/UNIX, etc.
--
Ant @ AQFL.net and AntFarm.ma.cx. Please do not IM/e-mail me for technical support. Use this forum or better, »community.norton.com ! Disclaimer: The views expressed in this posting are mine, and do not necessarily reflect the views of my employer.

chrisretusn
Retired
Premium
Philippines
Reviews:
·PLDT
·Comcast

said by antdude:

Or any DOS (not just MS'), Linux/UNIX, etc. )

Hmm... Your sentence seems to imply that Linux, Unix is DOS.

It is not.
--
Chris
Living in Paradise!!

AVD
Premium
Onion, NJ

what is DOS?

RazzyDOS

@rr.com
reply to chrisretusn

said by chrisretusn:

said by antdude:

Or any DOS (not just MS'), Linux/UNIX, etc. )

Hmm... Your sentence seems to imply that Linux, Unix is DOS.

It is not.

There are a bunch of other DOS, like PC-DOS, DR-DOS, and more.

AVD
Premium
Onion, NJ

is UNIX a DOS?

goalieskates
Premium
join:2004-09-12
land of big

said by AVD:

is UNIX a DOS?

You're reading it wrong. Try "or" instead of "and". Unless that's deliberate.

chrisretusn
Retired
Premium
Philippines
reply to RazzyDOS

I am well aware the are a lot of DOS.

Unix and Linux is not one of them.
--
Chris
Living in Paradise!!

dave
Premium,MVM
join:2000-05-04
not in ohio
kudos:8
Reviews:
·Verizon FiOS

1 recommendation

Sure it is - DOS is just generic for 'disk operating system'. If it runs from rotating rust, and supports a file system, it's a DOS. We said 'DOS' long before MS-DOS.

Though I'll grant you that (as far as I remember), PDP7 Unix was a TOS.

And by that argument, Windows is a DOS, so it's meaingless to say that a DOS is simpler than Windows.

StuartMW
Who Is John Galt?
Premium
Galt's Gulch

Paper or magnetic?

dave
Premium,MVM
not in ohio

DECtape, gods' own block-structured medium.

chrisretusn
Retired
Premium
Philippines
Reviews:
·PLDT
·Comcast
reply to dave

You can play on words all you like it does not change the fact the acronym DOS "Disk Operating System" refers to operating systems such as IBM-DOC, PC-DOS, MS-DOS and the several other like operation systems.
--
Chris
Living in Paradise!!

StuartMW
Who Is John Galt?
Premium
Galt's Gulch
reply to dave

Real masochists load the OS via paper tape using a Teletype ASR-33 at 110 baud
--

dave
Premium,MVM
not in ohio
Reviews:
·Verizon FiOS

1 recommendation

I have no use for new-fangled UIs. The Friden Flexowriter was an earlier and better device.

(Better because you could write algol60 that looked like algol60: begin rather than BEGIN, 'begin', .BEGIN, etc.)

Plus if you had a boat that tended to drift, a Flexowriter was heavy enough to make a servicable anchor, unlike the flimsier ASR33.

StuartMW
Who Is John Galt?
Premium
Galt's Gulch

quote:
You're gonna need a bigger boat!

Jaws (1975)
--