Premium
join:2003-04-05
Washington, DC
Reviews:
·Comcast

4 edits

2 recommendations

Getting 305/65

A number of you are probably curious about the Extreme 305/65 tier. Well I just placed an order for it today (as well as agreeing to a contract).

I'll provide updates as I go along with the install process. Here is what I know so far (much of this echoes what we've heard from xfinity_tech in an earlier post).

3 year contract.
$1,111 ETF for the first 1-3 months.
ETF is prorated if you cancel say after 12 or 24 months.

Pricing ($320/mo total).
CPE: Ciena 3931
- Customer gets an ethernet handoff.

$249 Activation fee.
$249 Installation fee.

I have a prem survey sometime next week (they're supposed call about that).

I also made them put in IPv6 as a requirement during provisioning. We'll see how that turns out.

Update 1: Site survey scheduled for 1 PM today. Ciena can be mounted internally or externally, with internal mount preferred. External mount requires ethernet and power to be run outside during installation.

Update 2 Site survey crew came. Took pictures of my current setup and the demarc. One somewhat major snag is the 3931 has really loud fan(s) so the current planned location inside will not work.

We do have one laundry room but fishing a cable might not be an option in that area due to the nature of the house. In brick row houses, most telco/cable wiring is done externally due to brick walls on both sides.

The survey crew seemed really hesitant about putting the hardware outside even though it has an outdoor enclosure (much like Verizon ONTs used around here). However, that will probably be the best option. To run ethernet and power to the outdoor demarc would be less than 30 feet.

Current demarc. Wall on the right is in the second picture

My CPE. (Ignore the cable spaghetti - had to remove velco tape to swap to a larger UPS during Sandy. Put the old one back but haven't gotten around to cleaning up the cables.)

Update 3: - Brian (who is handling my install) from CC called and I discussed the Ciena placement. Outside will work and looks like we're going with that after all.

Next step is engineering for the fiber run from three blocks away to my pole. I bet they toss a splice box up on the pole and maybe a BelAir AP (on can only hope).

NetDog
Premium,VIP
join:2002-03-04
Parker, CO
kudos:77

1 recommendation

Ping me if you have issues on the IPv6 side of the install.

tshirt
Premium,MVM
join:2004-07-11
Snohomish, WA
kudos:4
reply to whfsdude

Just curious
Is this a business or residential account?
Is this a business or residential address?

whfsdude
Premium
Washington, DC
Reviews:
·Comcast

1 recommendation

said by tshirt:

residential account?

Residential account.

»gigaom.com/2012/09/18/comcast-la···s-tucon/

baineschile
2600 ways to live
Premium
join:2008-05-10
Sterling Heights, MI
reply to whfsdude

Very interesting. Keep us updated on the progress and details.

tshirt
Premium,MVM
Snohomish, WA
reply to whfsdude

Any mention of a cap?

ExoticFish

join:2008-08-31
Stuarts Draft, VA
reply to whfsdude

So roughly a $500 start up fee then $320 a month. No thanks.
--
»www.VAJeeps.com

tshirt
Premium,MVM
Snohomish, WA
Reviews:
·Comcast

Actually not unreasonable compared to a dedicaticated line in a non-business core location.
Obviously whfsdude See Profile thinks it's the most reasonable offer today, and beats what he'll likely see over the next 3 years, at that location.

Oedipus

join:2005-05-09
kudos:1

1 recommendation

reply to whfsdude

Considering T1s are frequently $500+ per month, I'd say it's a fine deal even for a residence.

ropeguru
Premium
join:2001-01-25
Mechanicsville, VA
reply to whfsdude

As a curiosity only and not to condemn anything you do at home, but would you mind sharing what it is that you do on a residential connection to need that much bandwidth?

I am just curious as I cannot think of anything.

Feel free to PM if not wanting to post publicly.

ExoticFish

join:2008-08-31
Stuarts Draft, VA
reply to tshirt

Oh don't get me wrong, I agree IF you need that type of pipe it's not unreasonable. Just not something I can see a lot of people being able to afford.
--
»www.VAJeeps.com

whfsdude
Premium
Washington, DC
Reviews:
·Comcast

1 edit
reply to ropeguru

said by ropeguru:

As a curiosity only and not to condemn anything you do at home, but would you mind sharing what it is that you do on a residential connection to need that much bandwidth?

To be honest, for the download 305mbit/s is probably overkill. It's the upload I need. The latency and lack of that comes with fiber is also a huge plus. If this were via coax, I probably wouldn't get it.

For starters, I'd consider myself a heavy user user - eg. Netflix, Bitcasa, Backblaze. I've also got my own server in colo where I just mount it's 5TB NAS over SSHFS that way I have a set of files wherever I go.

While this isn't a work connection (I'd figure less than 50% of my usage is work related), I do have to occasionally use it for work.

I have VMs written at home for specific setups that I need to replicate for x problem. So I've got about a terabyte full of VMs (RRDs take up a lot of space!). When I'm using my laptop at work and I need specific vm, just rsync it over to my laptop at work.

I've also got a few xen boxes which I bootstrap installs over sitting at home for personal labs and such.

Usage wise, I did close to 5TB last month. I'm just a heavy user in general though (used ~30 some gigs on my cellphone this month »pbs.twimg.com/media/A6TrabRCMAEV···ng:large )

When you don't have to worry about caps and such, you find that you use a lot more bandwidth. Eg. Sure I could sync music but why bother with that when I have it all on the cloud.

whfsdude
Premium
Washington, DC
Reviews:
·Comcast
reply to Oedipus

said by Oedipus:

Considering T1s are frequently $500+ per month, I'd say it's a fine deal even for a residence.

Per megabit, it's cheaper what I can get at most co-location providers for such low commits.

[Not that I am running public servers, just that data center bandwidth is usually the cheapest compared to last mile.]

ropeguru
Premium
join:2001-01-25
Mechanicsville, VA
reply to whfsdude

Interesting... Makes complete sense.

NormanS
I gave her time to steal my mind away
Premium,MVM
join:2001-02-14
San Jose, CA
kudos:11
Reviews:
·SONIC.NET
reply to tshirt

said by tshirt:

Actually not unreasonable compared to a dedicaticated line in a non-business core location.
Obviously whfsdude See Profile thinks it's the most reasonable offer today, and beats what he'll likely see over the next 3 years, at that location.

It's not about the reasonableness of the cost of the product. Its just that some, maybe most, of us can't afford even a modest shack in Los Altos Hills, or Monte Sereno.
--
Norman
~Oh Lord, why have you come
~To Konnyu, with the Lion and the Drum

jlivingood
Premium,VIP
join:2007-10-28
Philadelphia, PA
kudos:2

2 recommendations

reply to whfsdude

said by whfsdude:

A number of you are probably curious about the Extreme 305/65 tier. Well I just placed an order for it today (as well as agreeing to a contract).

My team does all the engineering work so if you hit any bumps in the install or afterwards just PM me. Very interested to hear each step from your perspective in this thread!
--
JL
Comcast

tshirt
Premium,MVM
Snohomish, WA
Reviews:
·Comcast
reply to NormanS

still it fits several markets.
Say you comute from Los Altos Hills to SF, and this allows you a few days a month to work from home without being out of touch, the difference in your car lease milage& Insurance or not having to call the car service would probably pay for it, and any having fast access to your work from any/multiple business locations, this would have value.
While the cloud/a colo makes sense for public access, there is some sense of control/security rather than carrying a laptop with a large drive, to having a simple laptop VPN to your own secure storage.
Not that I need it anymore, but I'd be curious to see a map showing exactly where this can reach using TODAY's plant.

IowaCowboy
Want to go back to Iowa
Premium
join:2010-10-16
Springfield, MA
Reviews:
·Verizon Broadban..
·Comcast
reply to whfsdude

I've got better things to do with my money than pay for that complex of an install in somebody else's property (live in a rental duplex).

The landlord would definitely allow it as it would add value to HER property.

The most i'll do is 105/10 ONLY if I do not have to pay the $249 install fee (which i was told by more than one employee at the CC office that it won't be necessary because I already have D3 equipment and it will be a $40 upcharge with my triple play).
--
Romney-Ryan and Scott Brown are the Right Choice as they are Hope & Change you can count on.

horseathalt7

join:2012-06-11
Reviews:
·DIRECTV

Wow what an exorbitant service they are offering. I wonder how many of their subs will take them up on it. My guess is very few.

It does seem like the price should actually be even higher than it is, but then again the general subscriber base will probably be subsidizing these few who decide to get this service.

If I was a low or mid tier sub I would be pissed at amount of wasted effort, time and budget Comcast is putting into it, as those tiers are very expensive for what you get.

Once again executive management ego is getting in the way of prudence and logic. Must be plenty of MBAs over there.

IowaCowboy
Want to go back to Iowa
Premium
Springfield, MA
Reviews:
·Verizon Broadban..
·Comcast

said by horseathalt7:

Wow what an exorbitant service they are offering. I wonder how many of their subs will take them up on it. My guess is very few.

It does seem like the price should actually be even higher than it is, but then again the general subscriber base will probably be subsidizing these few who decide to get this service.

If I was a low or mid tier sub I would be pissed at amount of wasted effort, time and budget Comcast is putting into it, as those tiers are very expensive for what you get.

Once again executive management ego is getting in the way of prudence and logic. Must be plenty of MBAs over there.

They could technically do it over coax by using a DOCSIS 3.0 modem with 8x4 channel bonding. No plant construction required, just have the customer pick up an 8x4 channel bonding modem at the CC office, change the billing code, and provision the modem accordingly.
--
Romney-Ryan and Scott Brown are the Right Choice as they are Hope & Change you can count on.

pflog
Bueller? Bueller?
Premium,MVM
join:2001-09-01
El Dorado Hills, CA
kudos:3

said by IowaCowboy:

They could technically do it over coax by using a DOCSIS 3.0 modem with 8x4 channel bonding. No plant construction required, just have the customer pick up an 8x4 channel bonding modem at the CC office, change the billing code, and provision the modem accordingly.

Technically speaking, that is true with 8 channels if they were the ONLY person on those channels. 38*8 is 304 Mbps. That's not a lot of head room at all. All it'd take is one person on a 50/10 plan on the same channels and they're down 16-17%.
--
"Women. Can't live with 'em, pass the beer nuts." -Norm

IowaCowboy
Want to go back to Iowa
Premium
Springfield, MA
Reviews:
·Verizon Broadban..
·Comcast

said by pflog:

said by IowaCowboy:

Technically speaking, that is true with 8 channels if they were the ONLY person on those channels. 38*8 is 304 Mbps. That's not a lot of head room at all. All it'd take is one person on a 50/10 plan on the same channels and they're down 16-17%.

8x4 goes up to 343 Mbps downstream.

Source: »www.arrisi.com/product_catalog/_···UG11.pdf
--

tshirt
Premium,MVM
Snohomish, WA

still a poor use of bandwidth for that tier, and with the ability to use fiber/metroE shows the long legs of the HFC plant.

pflog
Bueller? Bueller?
Premium,MVM
join:2001-09-01
El Dorado Hills, CA
kudos:3
reply to IowaCowboy

MiB/s vs. MB/s, but ok fine, assume 343. It would still be asinine to provision a 300/65 connection over DOCSIS.
--
"Women. Can't live with 'em, pass the beer nuts." -Norm

NetFixer
From my cold dead hands
Premium
join:2004-06-24
The Boro
Reviews:
·Cingular Wireless
·Comcast Business..
·Vonage
·Comcast

1 recommendation

reply to horseathalt7

said by horseathalt7:

This service is provided by Comcast's existing metro ethernet infrastructure used for commercial customers. The only added expense for a new user is the "last mile" (I put that popular phrase in quotes because the terms of this service currently dictate a much shorter distance than one mile) extension of the fiber cable. It is no more exorbitant (or a wasted effort) than Verizon's FIOS, or the fiber offerings of numerous other ISPs.
--
We can never have enough of nature.
We need to witness our own limits transgressed, and some life pasturing freely where we never wander.

tshirt
Premium,MVM
Snohomish, WA
Reviews:
·Comcast

1 recommendation

reply to horseathalt7

said by horseathalt7:

Probably VERY few. not many will commit to $3850 a year, but for those few who need it and can afford it, it's a deal, cheaper than any dedicated line with plenty of download and more upload then many thought possible from cable just a few years ago.

NormanS
I gave her time to steal my mind away
Premium,MVM
join:2001-02-14
San Jose, CA
kudos:11
Reviews:
·SONIC.NET

said by tshirt:

Probably VERY few. not many will commit to $3850 a year, but for those few who need it and can afford it, it's a deal, cheaper than any dedicated line with plenty of download and more upload then many thought possible from cable just a few years ago.

But it's not coax, it's fiber? The telcos could do it, as well; Verizon did in a big way (FiOS). AT&T's fiber is significantly less widespread. Then there are Paxio, Surewest, and Sonic.net, LLC, among others (besides Google).
--
Norman
~Oh Lord, why have you come
~To Konnyu, with the Lion and the Drum

n_w95482
Premium
join:2005-08-03
Ukiah, CA
reply to IowaCowboy

said by IowaCowboy:

said by pflog:

said by IowaCowboy:

8x4 goes up to 343 Mbps downstream.

Source: »www.arrisi.com/product_catalog/_···UG11.pdf

343 without factoring in overhead, 304 with. It mentions it right below where you looked .
--
KI6RIT

houkouonchi

join:2002-07-22
Ontario, CA
Reviews:
·Verizon FiOS

1 recommendation

reply to whfsdude

Looking forward to the results whfsdude =P I saw you mention you were getting this on IRC and then I found your thread =) I was actually looking for someone who might be getting this not that long ago but could not find anyone.

And another one joins the 300 mbit club. Although with my dual fios connections i do get 150mbit up =) The downside; however, is that quantum fios for business (which was supposed to come out today but did not) is not out yet which means 150/75 is max for business fios and two lines is running me around $420/month. My bill should go to around $220/month once they push out the quantum speeds which I was told was Nov 1st.
--
300/150 mbit Bonded Verizon FiOS connection FTW!

IowaCowboy
Want to go back to Iowa
Premium
Springfield, MA
Reviews:
·Verizon Broadban..
·Comcast

1 edit
reply to n_w95482

said by n_w95482:

343 without factoring in overhead, 304 with. It mentions it right below where you looked .

The Zoom 5341J also goes up to 343 with its 8x4 channel bonding.

Source: »www.zoomtel.com/products/cable_overview.html

I think they should make the 305 available on the coax plant as well but for a lower monthly price and the $1.99 change of service fee if we pick the modem up at the office.

I also think the modulation also affects the speed. Our area is 256 QAM downstream and 64 QAM upstream.

Edit: I did not see 304 mentioned but a properly engineered HFC plant could achieve 305 by splitting larger nodes, ditching analog TV, declaring all D2 modems end of life (since D3 manages network resources better), adopting switched digital video, eliminate as much ingress as possible.

I also heard that DOCSIS 3.1 is possibly in the cards.

--