bradyr
Columbia College IT
Premium
join:2008-10-27
Sonora, CA

1 recommendation

reply to Darknessfall

Re: Getting 305/65

whfsdude, if you have a good wireless-n router/network as well, please post some speedtest results whilst on your wireless network (also let us know if you're connected at 144 or 300Mbps).

I think people need to see what real-world speeds this service tier garners you while on a typical wireless network.

otherwise, those are some bitching wired speeds. would love to see some real-world download speeds of some hefty files (something from microsoft, maybe a torrent or two, see what you can max out at)

-ryan

telcodad
Premium
join:2011-09-16
Lincroft, NJ
kudos:15
said by bradyr:

I think people need to see what real-world speeds this service tier garners you while on a typical wireless network.

otherwise, those are some bitching wired speeds. would love to see some real-world download speeds of some hefty files (something from microsoft, maybe a torrent or two, see what you can max out at)

-ryan

Making full use of all that speed may be quite a challenge.

See: »Ars Realizes Internet Can't Keep Up With Google Fiber

Mike Wolf

join:2009-05-24
Beachwood, NJ
kudos:4
reply to Darknessfall
Still don't know why there isn't an A++ on that test site, and just who is that 1% ?

C_Chipperson
Monster Rain
Premium
join:2009-01-17
kudos:3
It is because he is the 1%.. I never was good at statistics...

Mike Wolf

Beachwood, NJ
reply to whfsdude
what do you see on the Comcast speed tests? »speedtest.comcast.net/
»ipv6.speedtest.comcast.net/

Mike Wolf

Beachwood, NJ
reply to whfsdude
not sure why a pfsense box with an atom processor would run longer then a Linksys gigabit router.

Oedipus

join:2005-05-09
kudos:1
reply to Mike Wolf
said by Mike Wolf:

Still don't know why there isn't an A++ on that test site, and just who is that 1% ?

There can only be one 100% score, if you think about it.

Darknessfall
Premium
join:2012-08-17
kudos:6
Reviews:
·Frontier Communi..
·Comcast
·AT&T U-Verse
If only I had those speeds...

Lol

Maybe in 10 or so years .

bman212121

join:2005-06-09
reply to whfsdude
Awesome setup whfsdude! Love seeing the sub 1ms latencies!

I wouldn't be too shocked if they don't bother trying to lower your upload anytime soon. Everything you're connected to is already symmetrical so it's not like there is a bandwidth crunch like there is on cable. If anything the more you upload the more it offsets everyone's Netflix usage and helps keep their peering numbers balanced.

Also, I don't know if any of the other MetroE packages are asymmetrical. I think you basically get it in 100Mbit, 1G, and 10G flavors.

mig288
Premium
join:2002-07-13
Cherry Hill, NJ
Reviews:
·Verizon FiOS

1 recommendation

reply to whfsdude
said by whfsdude:

Very nice! If they leave that upload like that, I may give comcast a call....

scooby
Premium
join:2001-05-01
Schaumburg, IL
Damn, I'm jealous. I think the only thing faster is the mythical Google fiber that is as common as finding a unicorn.

BiggA

join:2005-11-23
EARTH
reply to Mike Wolf
The 1% are gigabit connections at universities. Anyways, that's an IMPRESSIVE connection.

noisefloor

join:2010-05-09
reply to whfsdude
Fire up the seed box! Lets torrent this baby up!

Nalez

join:2011-01-14

1 recommendation

reply to whfsdude
said by whfsdude:

Estimating capacity:
Upstream: greater than 200 Mbps.
Downstream: greater than 200 Mbps.

Something you can do is edit the code in shaperprobe/prober.c and increase the 200000 max capacity. I have set the vars to 1500000 and tested a gigabit Internet link without issues or major inaccuracies in results.

JeepMatt
C'mon the U
Premium
join:2001-12-28
Wilmington, DE
Reviews:
·Verizon FiOS
·Comcast

1 recommendation

reply to whfsdude
Click for full size
Congrats on the install!

And congrats to the team monitoring in Philly.

Nice thing to notice here - 1ms hop from the aggregate router to his new IP - don't see that too often.

But yes - fiber is nice.
--
"ONE team - ONE city - ONE dream!!"

whfsdude
Premium
join:2003-04-05
Washington, DC
Reviews:
·Comcast
said by JeepMatt:

Nice thing to notice here - 1ms hop from the aggregate router to his new IP - don't see that too often.

But yes - fiber is nice.

Yes, this is indeed awesome.

codydog

join:2001-11-29
Newport, RI
reply to whfsdude
Is the 305/65+ available in Ridgefield, CT?

Thanks

pflog
Bueller? Bueller?
Premium,MVM
join:2001-09-01
El Dorado Hills, CA
reply to Nalez
said by Nalez:

said by whfsdude:

Estimating capacity:
Upstream: greater than 200 Mbps.
Downstream: greater than 200 Mbps.

Something you can do is edit the code in shaperprobe/prober.c and increase the 200000 max capacity. I have set the vars to 1500000 and tested a gigabit Internet link without issues or major inaccuracies in results.

FYI, I thought the same, but when I asked the author about it, he seemed to think that changes on the server side were required for the numbers being reported to be accurate. Although I was seeing > 100 Mbps bursts reported in the app after updating it manually to over 100,000 back before the author bumped it to 200k.
--
"Women. Can't live with 'em, pass the beer nuts." -Norm

telcodad
Premium
Lincroft, NJ
reply to codydog
said by codydog:

Is the 305/65+ available in Ridgefield, CT?

Thanks

It may be, from the Comcast press release on it from September (»www.comcast.com/About/PressRelea···RID=1218 ):
The comprehensive Extreme 305 package is being offered across Comcasts Northeast division, which includes major markets such as Boston, Hartford, Philadelphia, Pittsburgh, Harrisburg, Wilmington, Baltimore, Washington, D.C., Richmond, and New Jersey. Customers interested in purchasing Extreme 305 should call 1.800.XFINITY.
So if you're interested, give them a call and see if and when it will be available in Ridgefield.

codydog

join:2001-11-29
Newport, RI

1 recommendation

reply to whfsdude
Called Comcast and in the Ridgefiled CT area, the cost is 300/month and requires a 3 year contract. Does that sound about right to everyone?

Thanks

telcodad
Premium
Lincroft, NJ
said by codydog:

Called Comcast and in the Ridgefiled CT area, the cost is 300/month and requires a 3 year contract. Does that sound about right to everyone?

Thanks

That's basically the same as what whfsdude See Profile reported at the top of this thread:

said by whfsdude:

A number of you are probably curious about the Extreme 305/65 tier. Well I just placed an order for it today (as well as agreeing to a contract).

I'll provide updates as I go along with the install process. Here is what I know so far (much of this echoes what we've heard from xfinity_tech in an earlier post).

3 year contract.

$1,111 ETF for the first 1-3 months.
ETF is prorated if you cancel say after 12 or 24 months.

Pricing ($320/mo total).

CPE: Ciena 3931
- Customer gets an ethernet handoff.

$249 Activation fee.
$249 Installation fee.

JigglyWiggly

join:2009-07-12
Pleasanton, CA
And here I thought my xtreme 105 was fast D:
I want those pings, I get 18ms to google =/

XtremepH

join:2003-10-19
Fort Lauderdale, FL
reply to whfsdude

Comcast Takes Coax to the Max

Mike Wolf

Beachwood, NJ
reply to codydog

Re: Getting 305/65

What's aggravating is a lot of customers who go with that ultra fast 300+ speed still use routers from 2002 and get ticked off when they don't see those speeds claiming conspiracy and rip off.

bradyr
Columbia College IT
Premium
join:2008-10-27
Sonora, CA
that's nothing. you can have people with wireless-n routers from 2012 and wont see better than half that downstream bandwidth due to the fact that 300Mbps wireless-n is really around 50-60% of that speed, real-world.

I would like to see whfsdude post up some speedtests whilst on wireless-n (assuming he has a wireless-n network)

for the most part, you'll only see 300Mbps+ while connected wired, on a gigabit network.

Siobhan

join:2008-03-30
Houston, TX
reply to whfsdude
Comcast: Can you get this in Houston; depends where you are; or, "not a chance / not yet?" My node is H19002. Thanks.

Oedipus

join:2005-05-09
said by Siobhan:

Comcast: Can you get this in Houston; depends where you are; or, "not a chance / not yet?" My node is H19002. Thanks.

That would be a major "no."

neufuse

join:2006-12-06
James Creek, PA

1 recommendation

reply to Mike Wolf
oh comon, we all know the people with the Linksys WRT54G's are smarter then us... comon they put DD-WRT on there! that makes it's internal bandwidth larger right?... right?

Siobhan

join:2008-03-30
Houston, TX
reply to Oedipus
said by Oedipus:

That would be a major "no."

That's what I thought... doesn't hurt to ask.

telcodad
Premium
Lincroft, NJ
As the Comcast press release about it (»www.comcast.com/About/PressRelea···RID=1218 ) said:
The comprehensive Extreme 305 package is being offered across Comcasts Northeast division, which includes major markets such as Boston, Hartford, Philadelphia, Pittsburgh, Harrisburg, Wilmington, Baltimore, Washington, D.C., Richmond, and New Jersey.
I don't think they will be expanding outside that area anytime soon, unless some major FTTH competitor (like Verizon's FiOS) suddenly pops up somewhere else.