share rss forum feed

telcodad

join:2011-09-16
Lincroft, NJ
kudos:5
reply to codydog

Re: Getting 305/65

said by codydog:

Called Comcast and in the Ridgefiled CT area, the cost is 300/month and requires a 3 year contract. Does that sound about right to everyone?

Thanks

That's basically the same as what whfsdude See Profile reported at the top of this thread:

said by whfsdude:

A number of you are probably curious about the Extreme 305/65 tier. Well I just placed an order for it today (as well as agreeing to a contract).

I'll provide updates as I go along with the install process. Here is what I know so far (much of this echoes what we've heard from xfinity_tech in an earlier post).

3 year contract.

$1,111 ETF for the first 1-3 months.
ETF is prorated if you cancel say after 12 or 24 months.

Pricing ($320/mo total).

CPE: Ciena 3931
- Customer gets an ethernet handoff.

$249 Activation fee.
$249 Installation fee.

JigglyWiggly

join:2009-07-12
Pleasanton, CA

And here I thought my xtreme 105 was fast D:
I want those pings, I get 18ms to google =/

XtremepH

join:2003-10-19
Fort Lauderdale, FL
reply to whfsdude

Comcast Takes Coax to the Max

»www.lightreading.com/video.asp?d···l-videos

Mike Wolf

join:2009-05-24
Beachwood, NJ
kudos:3
reply to codydog

Re: Getting 305/65

What's aggravating is a lot of customers who go with that ultra fast 300+ speed still use routers from 2002 and get ticked off when they don't see those speeds claiming conspiracy and rip off.

bradyr
Columbia College IT
Premium
join:2008-10-27
Sonora, CA

that's nothing. you can have people with wireless-n routers from 2012 and wont see better than half that downstream bandwidth due to the fact that 300Mbps wireless-n is really around 50-60% of that speed, real-world.

I would like to see whfsdude post up some speedtests whilst on wireless-n (assuming he has a wireless-n network)

for the most part, you'll only see 300Mbps+ while connected wired, on a gigabit network.

Siobhan

join:2008-03-30
Houston, TX
reply to whfsdude

Comcast: Can you get this in Houston; depends where you are; or, "not a chance / not yet?" My node is H19002. Thanks.

Oedipus

join:2005-05-09
kudos:1

said by Siobhan:

Comcast: Can you get this in Houston; depends where you are; or, "not a chance / not yet?" My node is H19002. Thanks.

That would be a major "no."

neufuse

join:2006-12-06
James Creek, PA

1 recommendation

reply to Mike Wolf

oh comon, we all know the people with the Linksys WRT54G's are smarter then us... comon they put DD-WRT on there! that makes it's internal bandwidth larger right?... right?

Siobhan

Houston, TX
reply to Oedipus

said by Oedipus:

That would be a major "no."

That's what I thought... doesn't hurt to ask.

telcodad

Lincroft, NJ

As the Comcast press release about it (»www.comcast.com/About/PressRelea···RID=1218 ) said:

The comprehensive Extreme 305 package is being offered across Comcasts Northeast division, which includes major markets such as Boston, Hartford, Philadelphia, Pittsburgh, Harrisburg, Wilmington, Baltimore, Washington, D.C., Richmond, and New Jersey.
I don't think they will be expanding outside that area anytime soon, unless some major FTTH competitor (like Verizon's FiOS) suddenly pops up somewhere else.

Siobhan

Houston, TX
reply to neufuse

said by neufuse:

oh comon, we all know the people with the Linksys WRT54G's are smarter then us... comon they put DD-WRT on there! that makes it's internal bandwidth larger right?... right?

Yeah... I think if you can afford $500 in installation/setup fees alone on top of the monthly bill, you can probably afford a 36-core router like the upcoming CCR1036-12G-4S... just a little faster than a WRT54G.

Siobhan

Houston, TX
reply to telcodad

said by telcodad:

I don't think they will be expanding outside that area anytime soon, unless some major FTTH competitor (like Verizon's FiOS) suddenly pops up somewhere else.

That assumes the move is purely reactionary... why not offer this everywhere they could technically do so? Seems like a cash cow to me...

pizz
bye bye twc. hello Comcast.
Premium
join:2000-10-27
Astoria, NY
Reviews:
·Time Warner Cable
reply to whfsdude

whfsdude, i'm very happy for you man! Enjoy your awesome speeds I wish time warner cable can upgrade 50/5
--
It's ok to say, 'I don't know'. It's even better when someone takes the time to explain what you, 'don't know'.

telcodad

Lincroft, NJ
reply to Siobhan

said by Siobhan:

said by telcodad:

That assumes the move is purely reactionary... why not offer this everywhere they could technically do so? Seems like a cash cow to me...

Actually, the Extreme 305 tier was quickly offered in response to Verizon's FiOS "Quantum" speed upgrades in the Northeast. As the Light Reading Cable article (»www.lightreading.com/document.as···lr_cable) on it said:
Essentially, Comcast is fighting fiber with fiber. It's utilizing a business-class platform to deliver a high-end residential service as it tries to discover what sort of demand there is for an uncapped 300Mbit/s product that currently sells for US$300 per month. And, according to this statement from Comcast spokesman Charlie Douglas, it appears that Comcast will use the fiber-based approach as a placeholder for very high-capacity residential broadband services until it makes business sense for the MSO to make significant changes to its Docsis platform.

Siobhan

Houston, TX

said by telcodad:

said by Siobhan:

said by telcodad:

Actually, the Extreme 305 tier was quickly offered in response to Verizon's FiOS "Quantum" speed upgrades in the Northeast. As the Light Reading Cable article (»www.lightreading.com/document.as···lr_cable) on it said:
Essentially, Comcast is fighting fiber with fiber. It's utilizing a business-class platform to deliver a high-end residential service as it tries to discover what sort of demand there is for an uncapped 300Mbit/s product that currently sells for US$300 per month. And, according to this statement from Comcast spokesman Charlie Douglas, it appears that Comcast will use the fiber-based approach as a placeholder for very high-capacity residential broadband services until it makes business sense for the MSO to make significant changes to its Docsis platform.

Well, there you go. Sucks.

LFHC

join:2012-11-04
Collinsville, VA
reply to bradyr

If someone has a 802.11 AC router and a wireless adapter you should be able to get those full speeds. overall though I have not seen a wireless router that can cover my whole house especially if its 5 GHZ I might be able to move 50 feet from the router.

Mike Wolf

Beachwood, NJ
reply to telcodad

Ironic we have to wait for a competitor to get their act together before Comcast offers anything. God forbid it's the other way around.

baineschile
2600 ways to live
Premium
join:2008-05-10
Sterling Heights, MI

Thats not fair. Just because speeds arent going up exponentially, doesnt mean that they arent improving. I think that CC, for as big as they are, had done some of the best work as far as improving speeds. As little at 6 years ago, we were at 1.5mb, now its at a 25mb tier, for $9 more per month.

Even in areas that doesnt offer FiOS, they are still offering 50 and 100mbit tiers.

espaeth
Digital Plumber
Premium,MVM
join:2001-04-21
Minneapolis, MN
kudos:2
Reviews:
·Vitelity VOIP

2 recommendations

reply to Mike Wolf

said by Mike Wolf:

Ironic we have to wait for a competitor to get their act together before Comcast offers anything. God forbid it's the other way around.

You mean like when Verizon started the whole FiOS project to combat cable stealing all their DSL customers because speeds were so much higher on the newly-deployed HFC plant?

NetFixer
Snarl For The Camera Please
Premium
join:2004-06-24
The Boro
Reviews:
·Cingular Wireless
·Comcast Business..
·Vonage
·Comcast

said by espaeth:

said by Mike Wolf:

You mean like when Verizon started the whole FiOS project to combat cable stealing all their DSL customers because speeds were so much higher on the newly-deployed HFC plant?

--
We can never have enough of nature.
We need to witness our own limits transgressed, and some life pasturing freely where we never wander.

ArrayList
netbus developer
Premium
join:2005-03-19
Evanston, IL
reply to antdude

It's a matter of perspective. 10 years ago nobody needed more than 1.5mbps.

People don't need about 80% of the stuff they have.

antdude
A Ninja Ant
Premium,VIP
join:2001-03-25
United State
kudos:4
Reviews:
·Time Warner Cable

said by ArrayList:

But they can get more later on like in a decade. :P

SHoTTa35

@optonline.net
reply to ArrayList

said by ArrayList:

Hehe funny you should say that because 14yrs ago I had 8Mbps Cable .... yeah didn't need it but my friends were sure happy that I had it though! This was in the AOL 56K and DSL 768K "super fast" days.

ArrayList
netbus developer
Premium
join:2005-03-19
Evanston, IL

I lived in rural america and was lucky to get 28.8kbps on a dialup connection.

NormanS
I gave her time to steal my mind away
Premium,MVM
join:2001-02-14
San Jose, CA
kudos:11
Reviews:
·SONIC.NET
·Pacific Bell - SBC
reply to SHoTTa35

said by SHoTTa35 :

Hehe funny you should say that because 14yrs ago I had 8Mbps Cable .... yeah didn't need it but my friends were sure happy that I had it though! This was in the AOL 56K and DSL 768K "super fast" days.

14 years ago, HSI was not available in my neighborhood in the heart of Silicon.

DSL arrived first, and I could choose between 768k and 1.5M. Cable arrived three years later.
--
Norman
~Oh Lord, why have you come
~To Konnyu, with the Lion and the Drum

Mike Wolf

Beachwood, NJ
Reviews:
·Comcast
reply to espaeth

I was referring to modern times. Such as when Verizon started with their 300Mbps speed tiers and Comcast reacted with their own speed bumps. Or when most if not all other cable and FiOS and satellite providers started allowing customers to stream live television and recorded shows from the DVR's to their smartphones and tablets and laptops over the internet and Comcast has yet to nationwide.

nysports4evr
Premium
join:2010-01-23
kudos:1
reply to Darknessfall

Wow, I'm jealous. Will be interesting to see if it stays symmetrical.

Telco

join:2008-12-19
Reviews:
·Callcentric
reply to NormanS

said by NormanS:

14 years ago, HSI was not available in my neighborhood in the heart of Silicon.

DSL arrived first, and I could choose between 768k and 1.5M. Cable arrived three years later.

It's a disgrace that there isn't any FiOS out there of all places and you guys are forced to endure comcast or u-verse.

NormanS
I gave her time to steal my mind away
Premium,MVM
join:2001-02-14
San Jose, CA
kudos:11
Reviews:
·SONIC.NET
·Pacific Bell - SBC

said by Telco:

It's a disgrace that there isn't any FiOS out there of all places and you guys are forced to endure comcast or u-verse.

The only South S.F. Bay Area communities which possibly could get FiOS are Monte Sereno and Los Gatos; where Verizon is the ILEC.

However, AT&T has deployed U-verse FTTH in some of the new condos built near Fruitvale and Meridian in San Jose in the last three years, or so (but they don't offer the full potential of the fiber).

Also a couple of CLEC services offer FTTH: Paxio in the City of Santa Clara, and Sonic.net, LLC in the North S.F. Bay Area. Long term, Sonic.net seems determined to offer FTTH in all communities where they currently offer their "Fusion" service.

In the Sacramento area, Roseville Telephone Company (now called, "Surewest") has had fiber deployed in some parts of their footprint since 1996, or so.

Nothing as widespread as Verizon's FiOS; but it is available in some California communities.
--
Norman
~Oh Lord, why have you come
~To Konnyu, with the Lion and the Drum

whfsdude
Premium
join:2003-04-05
Washington, DC
Reviews:
·Comcast
reply to whfsdude

Click for full size
Figured it was time for another update. Connection is really solid (as it should be).

Haven't had a chance to play with it too much as I've been away on a business trip to a branch office for the whole week. Spent about 30 hours with it before I had to catch a flight.

The graphs aren't that exciting as this is a 1 hour avg so it doesn't accurately capture the big peaks.

When I was at the data center friday night, remote desktop was pretty awesome at ~2 ms.

One final note is the 95/5 calculation on the RRD only takes into account v4 traffic.