Premium Member
join:2004-02-20
Quakertown, PA

2 edits

rody_44 to AVonGauss

Premium Member

to AVonGauss

Re: Getting 305/65

Greenfield construction in regards to a hfc network is not the same as like the phone companies. Every piece of main line put in the ground for the last twenty years could be turned into a piece of conduit to be used for fiber. »www.cable360.net/technol ··· 4pKys70c The same technology doesnt exist with phone line trunks and i doubt ever will. Just another advantage that coax has. If you view that technology you could also view comcast as well along what could become a all fiber network. I really doubt it tho. Lets be honest tho the future is in wireless anyway.
AVonGauss
Premium Member
join:2007-11-01
Boynton Beach, FL

AVonGauss

Premium Member

Its not as dire with cable operators, but the fact that most in greenfield areas are still not requiring fiber vs coaxial seems to indicate that it won't be coming in the near future.

Unless there is a major breakthrough in wireless, I don't believe wireless will be replacing wired connections any time soon in moderately populated areas. An HFC end branch already represents a "private wireless spectrum" and there are already challenges with managing capacity in that model.
BiggA
Premium Member
join:2005-11-23
Central CT
·Frontier FiberOp..
Asus RT-AC68

BiggA to rody_44

Premium Member

to rody_44
They will continue to push fiber farther out, but I don't think it will get to the end user for a long, long, time, as HFC has a lot of capacity, and that last "mile", which in many cases is the last fraction of a mile is by far the most expensive part to replace. Comcast hasn't even done 1GHZ, SDV, or MPEG-4 yet, and any of those technologies would be cheaper than running fiber directly to the house.

why60loss
Premium Member
join:2012-09-20

why60loss to whfsdude

Premium Member

to whfsdude
That's cool, I kind of want to be next. Well I know I would be for sure if the house passed and it cost less than a 100 a month. For 300 I will need time to think.

On the other hand every one needs to live a little and buy cool stuff, but wait a 305/65 is cool. No don't tell me that, all I need is 10/1 right?
neufuse
join:2006-12-06
James Creek, PA

neufuse to BiggA

to BiggA
I wish we were on 1GHz and MPEG-4 or some variant of the h.264 codec
BiggA
Premium Member
join:2005-11-23
Central CT

BiggA

Premium Member

So true. They could crank the quality up, and still go to 4 channels per carrier with MPEG-4. And the internets up at 1GHZ. They would be amazing!

Oregonian
Premium Member
join:2000-12-21
West Linn, OR

1 recommendation

Oregonian to whfsdude

Premium Member

to whfsdude
So, whfsdude See Profile, how's the reliability of the service been?

Any updates that you care to share now that you have been using it for a couple of months?

whfsdude
Premium Member
join:2003-04-05
Washington, DC

1 recommendation

whfsdude

Premium Member

said by Oregonian:

So, whfsdude See Profile, how's the reliability of the service been?

Any updates that you care to share now that you have been using it for a couple of months?

I have yet to experience a Comcast related outage. The only outage so far was planned work done on my end (upgrading my router).

Bandwidth wise:
In/out: (12148.92 GB/22337.80 GB) in the last 103 days.

The only thing that would make me happier is if it were symmetric gigabit. Otherwise, I'm pretty happy and glad I got the service.

Oregonian
Premium Member
join:2000-12-21
West Linn, OR

1 recommendation

Oregonian

Premium Member

said by whfsdude:

Bandwidth wise:

Wow, that's a lot of data!

Thanks for the update.
Tomcat353
join:2002-12-27
Jacksonville, FL

Tomcat353 to whfsdude

to whfsdude
So since this thread was dug up again, I figured I'd ask...

I've been trying to figure out how to order this service as I have heard it is coming to other areas. I spoke with Comcast and posted a question in the Comcast Direct forum but it seems like everyone is saying that service isn't available and isn't even planned for the Jacksonville, FL area. Is there a way to get a definitive answer? I really do want to order this.

whfsdude
Premium Member
Washington, DC

whfsdude

Premium Member

said by Tomcat353:

I've been trying to figure out how to order this service as I have heard it is coming to other areas. I spoke with Comcast and posted a question in the Comcast Direct forum but it seems like everyone is saying that service isn't available and isn't even planned for the Jacksonville, FL area. Is there a way to get a definitive answer? I really do want to order this.

Comcast does have MetroE service in the Jacksonville market. So either you're too far from the nearest fiber access node (kind of doubt it as they haven't done a site-survey), or they just aren't offering the residential service tier in your market.

Have you tried since the speed upgrades?
Tomcat353
join:2002-12-27
Jacksonville, FL

Tomcat353

Yeah, I actually did my research and did see that MetroE is available in Jacksonville which is why I figured the 305 tier would be also. The only place I asked since the speed upgrades was on the online help and support and they said it wasn't available. They have not done any site survey but on the Comcast order page, the 305Mbps service doesn't show up as an option (not sure if that means anything).

whfsdude
Premium Member
Washington, DC

whfsdude

Premium Member

said by Tomcat353:

Comcast order page, the 305Mbps service doesn't show up as an option (not sure if that means anything).

Wasn't an option when when I ordered. The sales phone reps were useless. I had to order reach out to ComcastSteve at the time. He put me in touch with executive relations, then they put me in contact with the sales rep who was doing the 305 orders for the NE.

CUBS_FAN
2016 World Series Champs
join:2005-04-28
Chicago, IL

1 recommendation

CUBS_FAN to Oregonian

to Oregonian
said by whfsdude:

Bandwidth wise:

That's a lot of hard drives to fill and temporary internet cookies to clean. literally.