how-to block ads

Search Topic:
uniqs
share rss forum feed

Donkee87

@rcn.com
reply to NormanS

Re: Getting 305/65

Sorry NormanS, comcast HFC is nothing like uverse. Uverse is FTTN and uses VDSL technology over 100 year old twisted pair with something like 24mbps maximum for convinced data and tv to the home. HFC can deliver much more with virtually no limit on amount of boxes in the home.

said by NormanS:

said by tshirt:

It's still branching off the cable plant just doesn't convert from fiber to coax for the last (1/2)mile.

sure the telcos could do something like that, but they don't match the

Like Comcast's HFC plant, AT&T's "U-verse" plant is fiber to the node. I expect if Comcast was picking up enough 305 customers in the AT&T U-verse footprint, AT&T could introduce a competing service. So much for "Monopoly", eh?

Should we call it FFTN? (Fiber From The Node.)

doofoo

join:2002-01-21
Upper Marlboro, MD
reply to whfsdude
I posted to see if I can get this here at home as well. We don't have aerial in my neighborhood (all buried), however when they built the neighborhood they installed fiber conduit to every house - so it's already existing and no fios is never coming here.

Hoping they will at least look at the feasibility of it here.

I currently have 50/10M Business w/ 13 IP's. Even without a static IP I would just setup a VPN to my servers in the datacenter and route myself a /28 and work from that.

Everyone asks what you would do with this amount of bandwidth. I really just want it for the upstream bandwidth. Moving large VM's and databases for work back and forth to the datacenter would save me a ton of time.

I also utilize veeam to backup my entire esx cluster to the house.

NormanS
I gave her time to steal my mind away
Premium,MVM
join:2001-02-14
San Jose, CA
kudos:12
Reviews:
·SONIC.NET
·Pacific Bell - SBC

2 edits
reply to Donkee87
said by Donkee87 :

Sorry NormanS, comcast HFC is nothing like uverse. Uverse is FTTN and uses VDSL technology over 100 year old twisted pair ...

Hyperbole! I love it. Some points to ponder though:

• Copper wireline signaling is well over 100 years old (Samuel F. B. Morse patent, 1847).
• Coax is at least 100 years old (Oliver Heaviside patent, 1880).
• More than half the telco copper plant is less than seventy-five years old. (U.S. population has more than doubled since the end of World War II).

Furthermore, DOCSIS (1997) is not a whole lot newer than ADSL (1988). Nine whole years newer!

... with something like 24mbps maximum for convinced data and tv to the home. HFC can deliver much more with virtually no limit on amount of boxes in the home.

Which does not detract from the fact that both use a hybrid of a century-plus-year-old wireline medium and optical fiber (FTTN) in their respective plants.

For television I find that satellite beats wireline (coax, or copper) hands down.

For Internet I would much rather pay <$30 a month for DSL speeds than >$50 a month for DOCSIS speeds.

P.S. I don't think YouTube much cares whether they are streaming over copper, or coax in the "Last Mile".

--
Norman
~Oh Lord, why have you come
~To Konnyu, with the Lion and the Drum
Expand your moderator at work

antdude
A Ninja Ant
Premium,VIP
join:2001-03-25
United State
kudos:4
reply to whfsdude

I wonder who really needs this for home. It makes sense for business though.

mig288
Premium
join:2002-07-13
Cherry Hill, NJ
Reviews:
·Verizon FiOS
reply to jarablue
Same here, the 150/65 connection is great and didn't cost me much to upgrade to this connection.

I was wondering how much additional would the 300 Mb cost and the comparison with the Comcast offering.. Should be interesting

jlivingood
Premium,VIP
join:2007-10-28
Philadelphia, PA
kudos:2

1 recommendation

reply to whfsdude
said by whfsdude:

Update 2 Site survey crew came. Took pictures of my current setup and the demarc. One somewhat major snag is the 3931 has really loud fan(s)

Minor point perhaps, but FWIW there is no fan in the 3931. So noise should not be a concern.

To learn more about the 3931, see »www.ciena.com/connect/blog/Ciena···ard.html
--
JL
Comcast

whfsdude
Premium
join:2003-04-05
Washington, DC
Reviews:
·Comcast
said by jlivingood:

Minor point perhaps, but FWIW there is no fan in the 3931. So noise should not be a concern.

Thanks! This differs from what the site-survey crew said.

This might change install locations then. Next time I speak with Brian M. who is handling my install I'll bring up the correction.

BiggA

join:2005-11-23
EARTH
reply to whfsdude
That's good! They may have fixed it since I had the slowdown, or the cache may help. I don't have access to a connection over 2mbps (plus Powerboost which helps a lot on photos) now to test it.

That's pretty amazing that you're creeping up on the ability to have a 100mbps ethernet connection over a WAN.

Donkee87

@rcn.com
reply to NormanS
said by NormanS:

said by Donkee87 :

Sorry NormanS, comcast HFC is nothing like uverse. Uverse is FTTN and uses VDSL technology over 100 year old twisted pair ...

Hyperbole! I love it. Some points to ponder though:

• Copper wireline signaling is well over 100 years old (Samuel F. B. Morse patent, 1847).
• Coax is at least 100 years old (Oliver Heaviside patent, 1880).
• More than half the telco copper plant is less than seventy-five years old. (U.S. population has more than doubled since the end of World War II).

Furthermore, DOCSIS (1997) is not a whole lot newer than ADSL (1988). Nine whole years newer!

... with something like 24mbps maximum for convinced data and tv to the home. HFC can deliver much more with virtually no limit on amount of boxes in the home.

Which does not detract from the fact that both use a hybrid of a century-plus-year-old wireline medium and optical fiber (FTTN) in their respective plants.

For television I find that satellite beats wireline (coax, or copper) hands down.

For Internet I would much rather pay <$30 a month for DSL speeds than >$50 a month for DOCSIS speeds.

P.S. I don't think YouTube much cares whether they are streaming over copper, or coax in the "Last Mile".

My reference to age is the actual installed infrastructure, not the year it was invented smarty pants. Last mile of virtually all uverse plant is 40 years old or more but regardless HfC limits way surpass the capabilities of ADSL or VDSL. You may be the dying few that prefer dsl over DOCSIS, peoplemare voting with the wallets and go DOCSIS on call or FTTP like fios. Sure YouTube doesn't care if you're streaming over twisted pair or coax but the one sitting bhind the computer screen on coax most likely can watch tha video in a higher resolution without buffering.

chgo_man99

join:2010-01-01
San Jose, CA
reply to whfsdude
Most people don't care about high speed, more about content. There is reason uverse expands with its iptv portion. I'm
Curious if hd compression on "on demand" movies is better than like of amazon instant video, vudu, Xbox or iTunes. I don't think there is any difference and besides it does not feel
Worth to me to pay 60+ a month for watching only a few channels.

doofoo

join:2002-01-21
Upper Marlboro, MD
reply to whfsdude
Who did you contact to get the ball rolling on your service? I chatted online with the reps and they say they don't sell 305M ANYWHERE.. Obviously they are misinformed, I also posted on Comcast Direct forum here but have not seen any replies today/yesterday.

whfsdude
Premium
Washington, DC
Reviews:
·Comcast
said by doofoo:

Who did you contact to get the ball rolling on your service? I chatted online with the reps and they say they don't sell 305M ANYWHERE.. Obviously they are misinformed, I also posted on Comcast Direct forum here but have not seen any replies today/yesterday.

Message ComcastSteve in the direct forum with your account details and a good contact number. (Which you've done)

Took about 2-3 days to get a call from executive relations/support.

pisto

@qwest.net
reply to IowaCowboy

eSATA HDD?

I don't understand. Why didn't the OP just get a few really big hard drives and take them to his jobsite and make a hotswap rig or something? This is instead of paying out 3 to 4 to 5 grand a year for ultra high speed connectivity? That would buy quite a few big harddrives and then just keep track of which files were on which right?

Cheese
Premium
join:2003-10-26
Naples, FL
kudos:1

1 recommendation

said by pisto :

I don't understand. Why didn't the OP just get a few really big hard drives and take them to his jobsite and make a hotswap rig or something? This is instead of paying out 3 to 4 to 5 grand a year for ultra high speed connectivity? That would buy quite a few big harddrives and then just keep track of which files were on which right?

Because it's his choice?

NormanS
Premium,MVM
San Jose, CA
Reviews:
·SONIC.NET
·Pacific Bell - SBC
reply to Donkee87

said by Donkee87 :

My reference to age is the actual installed infrastructure, not the year it was invented smarty pants. Last mile of virtually all uverse plant is 40 years old or more ...

I can show you significant parts of Santa Clara county where that is not true. According to U.S. Census data, the population has nearly doubled (~1,000,000 to ~1,800,000) in the last 40 years. I'd guess nearly 55% of the AT&T plant is newer than 40 years. More when you add older neighborhoods where they upgraded F2 spans for deployment of U-verse.

... but regardless HfC limits way surpass the capabilities of ADSL or VDSL.

"HFC" is not a transport technology. DOCSIS is a transport technology, as is any form of DSL. "HFC" can be construed as "Hybrid Fiber Copper", as well as the traditional "Hybrid Fiber Coax". Now DOCSIS limits surpass any version of DSL; but either way, the plant topology is a mix of optical fiber and traditional metal.

You may be the dying few that prefer dsl over DOCSIS, peoplemare voting with the wallets ...

My wallet can't afford DOCSIS or fiber. Comcast does offer a little known tier with DSL speed; but most MSOs are shying away from such offers because they will lose high profit custom to we penny-pinching fool, who'd rather save the difference between DSL price and DOCSIS price for items like 's PIECES.

... and go DOCSIS on call or FTTP like fios. Sure YouTube doesn't care if you're streaming over twisted pair or coax but the one sitting bhind the computer screen on coax most likely can watch tha video in a higher resolution without buffering.

Buffering 720p video on YouTube was never a problem on my 3Mbs AT&T ADSL connection. And the real skinflints I know just let the clip buffer, then hit replay. They are willing to put up with that annoyance to save a few bucks.

Here is a thought: If the MSOs truly wish to bury the telcos, offer slower speed tiers at lower prices. They can do it, if they are willing to settle for lower profit margins.
--
Norman

brianiscool

join:2000-08-16
Tampa, FL

1 recommendation

reply to whfsdude
I remember when I had a hunger for having tons of bandwidth. Once I got it I just don't know what to do with it. So, most of the time the line at my home sits idle.

Connection : 153Mbps/down 65Mbps/up

buckweet1980

join:2011-12-31
Allen, TX
I have the same experience.. I have FIOS and started with 35/35, then upgraded to 150/65 when it came out for 20 more per month. I use the downstream in spurts and love it when I have it. I thought I'd use the upstream more for online back up, but most services I've tried can't handle my upstream bandwidth (sad...) so I've given up on it pretty much.

BiggA

join:2005-11-23
EARTH
reply to NormanS
You're the outlier. Most people recognize that since the internet is used for a lot of things in life, it's better to have more bandwidth (up to a point). Cable's normal packages are quite reasonably priced, usually around $50/mo. If you think of how much you use it, and what you do with it, it's totally worth it.

NormanS
Premium,MVM
San Jose, CA
Reviews:
·SONIC.NET
·Pacific Bell - SBC
said by BiggA:

You're the outlier.

"I am "Legion".

Most people recognize that since the internet is used for a lot of things in life, it's better to have more bandwidth (up to a point).

Except for those who don't.

Cable's normal packages are quite reasonably priced, usually around $50/mo. If you think of how much you use it, and what you do with it, it's totally worth it.

If you buy a TV package with your Internet; else it is closer to $70 (at least in the S.F. Bay Area).
--
Norman

whfsdude
Premium
Washington, DC
reply to whfsdude
Update 4: Comcast called - Could be up to five to ten business days for the inspection and engineering to be completed with the local municipalities.

cooldude9919

join:2000-05-29
kudos:5
said by whfsdude:

Update 4: Comcast called - Could be up to five to ten business days for the inspection and engineering to be completed with the local municipalities.

Normal bussiness fiber build out can take 60-90 days, so you seem to be moving along much faster than that.

whfsdude
Premium
Washington, DC
Reviews:
·Comcast

1 recommendation

said by cooldude9919:

Normal bussiness fiber build out can take 60-90 days, so you seem to be moving along much faster than that.

Only about 1000 ft, infrastructure already in place, and lots of space in the manholes.

Apparently I'm also the first 305 customer. I'm betting they want to get one up and running pretty quickly.

Chris 313
Come get some
Premium
join:2004-07-18
Houma, LA
Reviews:
·AT&T U-Verse
·Vonage
·Comcast
·Comcast Digital ..
said by whfsdude:

said by cooldude9919:

Only about 1000 ft, infrastructure already in place, and lots of space in the manholes.

Apparently I'm also the first 305 customer. I'm betting they want to get one up and running pretty quickly.

Of course they do! They want all that money you're gonna generate for them over your 3 year contract. For all you pay, I hope you get every ounce of speed you're paying for.

Please keep posting updates and lots of pictures once everything gets started. I wanna drool enviously. 320 a month plus the install and contract/ETF fees just for net is too rich for my blood. 100 would be the Absolute limit for me, if that.

neufuse

join:2006-12-06
James Creek, PA
Reviews:
·Comcast
reply to whfsdude
man holes? are you getting this as a underground install?

One of the reasons I didn't even contact comcast was because they wern't going to run anything underground I thought we were told... we have conduit in our are, just no arial until you are 1000 ft from my house

whfsdude
Premium
Washington, DC
Reviews:
·Comcast

1 edit

said by neufuse See Profile
One of the reasons I didn't even contact comcast was because they wern't going to run anything underground I thought we were told... we have conduit in our are, just no arial until you are 1000 ft from my house

Most of DC is underground from the node to the alley.

Green box is my node. I've heard the fiber will come from here.

Would run ~2 blocks to my pole.

I happen to be on the first pole in the alley. The orange conduit is actually for FiOS construction. Both telco and Comcast trunks go up via that pole from the manhole network.

neufuse

join:2006-12-06
James Creek, PA
Reviews:
·Comcast
huh... that seems to kinda contradict what we thoguht was the install requirements.. wonder if they would be willing to run the fiber down the orange conduit to my house from the node that is about 1000' from me direct line of sight to it... only problem is our whole area is UG, the node is even a UG connected node that is in a box by the road

cooldude9919

join:2000-05-29
kudos:5
said by neufuse:

huh... that seems to kinda contradict what we thoguht was the install requirements.. wonder if they would be willing to run the fiber down the orange conduit to my house from the node that is about 1000' from me direct line of sight to it... only problem is our whole area is UG, the node is even a UG connected node that is in a box by the road

It may be on a case by case basis sometimes. And no UG can be a bit broad. If they already have UG conduit or duct in place with room, then may go ahead and run it. If they dont and their current stuff was previously direct buried with no conduit, and they would have to bore/trench in the fiber a long distance to reach you, then obviously that may not be economically feasible.

ActiveOpto

@lstn.net
reply to whfsdude
said by whfsdude:

They are. Nearest fiber is located at the node. So they'll run fiber to my house and I'll get an ethernet handoff from the 3931.

I believe the fiber connection that serves the Ciena 3931 Carrier Ethernet switch is actually a P2P active ethernet line that basically extends the metro ethernet ports at the Comcast office right till the door of your home.

From the datasheet provided by Ciena, the 3931 has 4XGE RJ45 ports. 1 is being used to service your CPE.

Considering if your neighbors would order another 305 package, will Comcast use the other remaining ports in the same 3931 on your door?

whfsdude
Premium
Washington, DC
Reviews:
·Comcast
said by ActiveOpto :

Considering if your neighbors would order another 305 package, will Comcast use the other remaining ports in the same 3931 on your door?

Also has 4 sfp ports. I will be providing power for the unit though so I don't think that would be a good idea.

However, I bet they put up a splice box on my pole as to extend fiber deeper into their network. Although I'm close enough to the node they might not.