share rss forum feed

AsherN
Premium
join:2010-08-23
Thornhill, ON

5 recommendations

reply to GlassyMcPete

Re: Do you still use Windows?

Every OS can be hacked. Every OS can be secured.

You have to weigh things like learning curve, availability of software, hardware support.

With Windows, do what everybody will tell you to do on Linux "Don't run as Root". Don't run Windows as Administrator. Create a limited account. Run an anti-virus. You'll be fine.

workablob

join:2004-06-09
Houston, TX
kudos:4
Reviews:
·Comcast

3 recommendations

said by AsherN:

Every OS can be hacked. Every OS can be secured.

You have to weigh things like learning curve, availability of software, hardware support.

With Windows, do what everybody will tell you to do on Linux "Don't run as Root". Don't run Windows as Administrator. Create a limited account. Run an anti-virus. You'll be fine.

Best Advice Ever.

I would add:

Dump IE and use FireFox or Palemoon with NoScript, WOT, AdBlock Plus.
Run Windows SteadyState if running XP or Vista.
Windows 7 or newer run a program like DeepFreeze so any changes made to the OS get thrown out after a reboot.

Dave
--
I may have been born yesterday. But it wasn't at night.

slajoh01

join:2005-04-23

2 edits

2 recommendations

I'd say dont overload with soooo soooo much security software.
Any IT securtiy gurus will tell u that even they do not run any AV software with minimum security software and dont get even hacked....

Just go with the basics...

Patch, AV, Firewall router, enable Windows FW, and avoid social engineering attacks and ur all set.

Users tend to bloat their machines up with security software.

Just patch, hardware FW with Windows FW enabled and dont click on any suspicious links or attachments. Thats all.

Windows is aint that bad, but it takes more effort to secure it and lock it down.
i

OZO
Premium
join:2003-01-17
kudos:2

1 recommendation

said by slajoh01:

Any IT securtiy gurus will tell u that even they do not run any AV software with minimum security software and dont get even hacked....

Good point. Windows OS could be secure. The insecure link is the user. Learn "good manners" how to run it and you don't need any anti-malware protection tools
--
Keep it simple, it'll become complex by itself...

workablob

Houston, TX
Reviews:
·Comcast

1 recommendation

reply to slajoh01
said by slajoh01:

I'd say dont overload with soooo soooo much security software.

Just go with the basics...

Patch, AV, Firewall router, enable Windows FW, and avoid social engineering attacks and ur all set.

Users tend to bloat their machines up with security software.

Just patch, hardware FW with Windows FW enabled and dont click on any suspicious links or attachments. Thats all.

Windows is aint that bad, but it takes more effort to secure it and lock it down.
i

Agreed 100%.

I just run as a limited user, UAC on and MS Security Essentials.

Dave
--

jaykaykay
4 Ever Young
Premium,MVM
join:2000-04-13
USA
kudos:24
reply to workablob

Mike
Premium,Mod
join:2000-09-17
Pittsburgh, PA
kudos:1
Steady State was discontinued. I think it only works up to XP as well.

It was ineffective when I played with it. Faronics Deep Freeze was/is a ton better.

workablob

Houston, TX
Reviews:
·Comcast
Worked a treat for me in XP and then Vista. It can be downloaded still just not at MS.

»download.cnet.com/Windows-Steady···620af133

But, I use DeepFreeze now and it IS better.

Dave
--