how-to block ads

Search Topic:
uniqs
share rss forum feed

monicakm

join:2005-03-12
Grand Saline, TX

Gen 4/Two Weeks and...

so far so good My signal strength is steady at 150-152. Browsing and download speeds have been, for the most part, much faster. There have been a few slowdowns but that can't be to peak time usage/crowding already can it? All in all, I'm happy with the upgrade and the fact that my bill went down $10 and an additional $20 a month for a year. I'm still at 9999 MB remaining LOL
Monica

MeAgain4

@direcway.com

said by monicakm:

I'm still at 9999 MB remaining LOL

This is the ONLY reason users are currently happy, and the massive influx of complaints has not started yet!

TexasRebel

join:2011-05-29
Edgewood, TX

yeah wait until they enforce the data allowance policy. I'm sure there will be plenty of subscribers that will raise hell, including myself.

monicakm

Grand Saline, TX

I don't expect it to be a problem for me going by my past usage.

monicakm

Grand Saline, TX
reply to monicakm

Be careful what you say around here
The very night of the very day I said here, "Gen 4...so far so good...I'm happy with it", my browsing speed took a nose dive. Any site (non peak hours) has been painful slow to load. 15 seconds for google.com??? Twenty seconds and more for every other site. Downloads are still good, been better but still good. I tested several different sites.
So watch what you say. Seems HN doesn't want their customers too happy
ps...it's the same on two computers with different browser versions. Signal strength 149-152.

sharkyyoung
Premium
join:2012-03-15
Reno, NV

I read somewhere on the hughes community that someone in Texas was having problems today, so I know you don't like this but you should call support to see whats happening.

monicakm

Grand Saline, TX

Was it me?
TS will be my last resort.
I was just about to restart/reboot the system.
Don't see a soft and hard reboot. Only a
"reboot terminal" option and "reset MBX".
No idea what the latter is.

monicakm

Grand Saline, TX

Resetting the terminal didn't work.
Would someone please tell me what
"reset MBX" is?
Thanks

sharkyyoung
Premium
join:2012-03-15
Reno, NV

monicakm
unless this is you Gen 4 Problem being really slow this morning this is on the hughes forum from east texas.

TexasRebel

Edgewood, TX

Yeah I noticed the slowness as well.. Anyone in NorthEast Texas is going to be on Beam #44. Signal is great, so the problem is likely at the gateway, which if I was told correct information, is located in Montana.

I don't understand who the hell planned these Gateway and Downlink Beam associations, but I think I could have done a better job.

I would've put the Gateways for southern located beams in states like West Texas and New Mexico due to the drier climates and very little cloud cover.

What happens if Montana gets hit with a blizzard and the Gateway goes down??

C0RR0SIVE88

@direcway.com

The system would most likely re-direct traffic to an available gateway if it absolutely had to.

monicakm

Grand Saline, TX

Everything seems to be back to normal today. How about you TexasRebel?

TexasRebel

Edgewood, TX

it's ok I suppose.. could always be better with getting the advertised speeds..

monicakm

Grand Saline, TX

That's a given But are you browsing at the same rate you were before the slow down? Speakeasy shows my download speed about 1/3 of what it usually is tho. Same site the installer used. 3.54, 7.07, 3.17, 1.36, 2.23 (Mbps)
Uploads were around .10Mbps NOT so good! Glad I haven't signed off on the BBB/Hughes response yet.

TexasRebel

Edgewood, TX

1 edit

are you using the Seattle server when using Speakeasy.net??

we in North Texas all are on the same beam 44 and it's Gateway is in Montana. Where in Montana I don't know, but Seattle is the closest large city for a very large fiber connection to the Internet backbone.

either Speakeasy is lying or it's more accurate than HN's speedtest.

I'm seeing at or just over 15Mbps on the downstream. The upload just barely hits 1Mbps.

Got this massive storm passing overhead now.. Speed and Signal look good so far..

monicakm

Grand Saline, TX

1 edit

No, I was using the Dallas server. I'll try with the Seattle one. Why wouldn't the one closest to you be the one to use?
Massive storm is overhead here too. LOVE storms! The louder and flashier the better Looking at the radar, it's just now on top of us. No rain here so far. System is still up working well.

So when were you getting the 15Mbps downloads? Which plan.
I just tested (with storm overhead, but no rain) Dallas and Seattle
Seattle .85Mbps down, 1.46, 2.69,
Dallas 1.96Mbps down, 1.24, .66
TestMy 2.9Mbps down (sigh)

TexasRebel

Edgewood, TX

I'm on PowerMax for the 20GB..

With satellite, your distance to Dallas doesn't matter. It's the gateway that talks to the closest internet hub and then it's routed back over the satellite to your modem. Our gateway is in Montana. Seattle is closer to Montana than Dallas. It's not so much the distance, but the `hops' it has to make to get to Seattle, which is 1 or 2.

If you got such great signal, and you're getting such low speeds, it's either your router or PC.

monicakm

Grand Saline, TX

Those tests were taken during the brief storm. Testing again...8.95Mbps down, 8.41, 8.09, 9.35, 9.51. I'm on the Power Plan. Funny thing tho during the storm, once the modem came back up, with these pitiful download speeds my browsing was fast. Signal strength is 155

TexasRebel

Edgewood, TX

Next time you observe slowdown. Look at your modem page, and copy and paste the Diagnostic Code you see.

I noticed some slowdown tonight and I was getting a code that referenced to uplink errors.

I wonder if you are seeing the same code when you get slowdown??

hughesnet123

join:2012-11-08
reply to monicakm

I am having extremely good results with Gen 4 also. It has been amazing. When the cap does kick in, it won't bother me much. I am used to keeping up with my data.

At one time I had 60MB down with a cable connection. I had a 250GB cap then. I checked my cap every day just to see what I used. Most months I didn't even use 30GB. With this I have 40GB total. And I'm someone who doesn't watch TV. I stay on the internet all day and watch a ton of youtube and stream a lot of radio.

The only time I took more GB was uploading very large videos. Fortunately for that, my parents have unlimited DSL and my best friend has very fast cable internet. I can go there to upload large files. As far as browsing the web, this cap will be enough for me.

But I don't do bit torrents or download things. I browse the web. I do download albums and movies from itunes, but not every day. So generally it's still pretty low.

MeAgain4

@direcway.com

Here comes the real complaints, aside from the many users already saying they never come close to reaching expected (Up-to) speeds!
»community.myhughesnet.com/hughes···llowance

diablo1892
Plough, sew, water, harvest. Repeat.

join:2011-04-21
Friendly, WV
Reviews:
·Frontier Communi..
·HughesNet Satell..
reply to MeAgain4

said by MeAgain4 :

said by monicakm:

I'm still at 9999 MB remaining LOL

This is the ONLY reason users are currently happy, and the massive influx of complaints has not started yet!

You think this is the only thing that's keeping us as HN customers?? No your wrong, some of us only have so much, can't afford to go to a different provider or maybe its not available to us in our area. Besides HN will have to do 10 times worse of a job that there doing to loose customers like myself and some others that I know of.

I seen how my old dial up connection acts and how much expensive it was and when it use to go out, i'm never going back to dial up unless its very cheap and has better service and when i pick up the phone i dont hear cracking noises. yeah my old dial up connection and phone was the worst, you could even tap into others conversations just by picking up the phone and holding it to your ear, however it was hard cause of the cracking noise
--
HT1000/ 1 watt/ Power Max plan/ 4 pc's on a D-Link wired router/ wireless D-Link router with password
Support only the gaming company's that matter the most, pay for something that actually is worth buying or has a good reason for how much it's worth.

TexasRebel

Edgewood, TX
reply to MeAgain4

Perhaps I should pay them `up to' $117 a month for PowerMax. Sounds like a legitimate solution to their reasoning.

My service has gone to crap in the past week or so.. Not evening getting 1/3rd of what I'm supposed to be getting which is 15Mbps.

diablo1892
Plough, sew, water, harvest. Repeat.

join:2011-04-21
Friendly, WV
Reviews:
·Frontier Communi..
·HughesNet Satell..

said by TexasRebel:

Not evening getting 1/3rd of what I'm supposed to be getting which is 15Mbps.

I don't know why everyone keeps saying that.. that speed is off an advertisement, don't expect too much from advertisements, those lead you to believeing anything. Next you'll be asking where's your free membership for a contract that don't even exist from some spamming and unprotected website that you got from.
--
HT1000/ 1 watt/ Power Max plan/ 4 pc's on a D-Link wired router/ wireless D-Link router with password
Support only the gaming company's that matter the most, pay for something that actually is worth buying or has a good reason for how much it's worth.

TexasRebel

Edgewood, TX

Advertisement or not.. I know what the technology is capable of achieving. Why is ViaSat/Exede with ViaSat-1 reaching speeds in excess of 18Mbps down and 4.5Mbps up?? And their advertisements say `up to' 12mbps. If Echostar 17 has 140Gbps of bandwidth, then how much of it's are they using for HNG4? How much is it being used for military, etc.?

pablo1516

join:2012-11-21
Malden, WA
reply to monicakm

Re: Gen 4/Two Weeks and..

I have on been on the fence about getting satellite internet for the last 30 days. I 'bit the bullet Nov. 14 and had Gen 4 installed.

This has been my experience so far:
- Sales and installation: very good (pole mount), Spokane Satellite
-Modem and router (Belkin N750) are compatible
- Internet speeds vary from (low) 2mb to 11mb, my average seems run around 4-7 mb. No complaints, I can stream Hulu and Pandora

Question: depending on what I use for a speed test (speed test.net, HN, Mega Speed, etc.) I wonder which one is the most accurate and consistent?

Example:
speedtest.net: download 9.87 upload 0.70 ping 787
Speak easy: 10.70 0.65 ?
MegaPath: 10.05 0.56

Hughesnet
11/21/2012 10:16:56 6.712 0.929
11/21/2012 09:37:31 5.059 0.950
11/21/2012 09:36:22 6.746 0.959
11/20/2012 23:52:01 5.067 0.655

I have read many 'horror' stories about HN, so I am keeping my fingers crossed they can continue to deliver 'good' service.

So far, so good................

hughesnet123

join:2012-11-08
reply to monicakm

Re: Gen 4/Two Weeks and...

Pablo, it's possible your speeds are not as low as you posted. Satellite internet works different than other ISP's. It comes in, "bursts," So, what that means is one second it may be 2MB and the next second 7MB and the next second 8MB.

This is why the speed test are hard to detect the speed on it. The way you do it, is go to speedtest.net, retest a few times until you see the actual speed. Or just watch where the meter goes instead of reading the final result. Because it comes in burst, you may see the meter go to 15MB for example and then your final result be 2MB. Basically, the speed changes literally about every second.

For example, to get mine to show me a final result of 15MB I have to do the speed test around 5 times. Then it will show 15MB. But even then I can even see the burst on the meter on speedtest.net. I watch the burst and finally I'll get a test that "catches" the burst at 15MB.

In general, this doesn't really matter. You won't notice it while downloading or browsing.

You can tell it's a burst in downloading as you might notice if you download a movie for example, the download might start off slow, like a 2mb speed and two seconds later jump up and download the movie extremely fast. That is because the burst goes up to 15MB. Or 10 MB if that's what you pay for.

It was tricky when I first got it too, because I didn't understand that the satellite internet went in a burst like that.

As far as a burst type speed vs a constant speed like cable internet, I haven't been able to tell a difference. Because it burst up so fast that it's before you ever notice it being at a low speed.

This is why a lot of users do speed test and wonder why they are getting 2MB download. They are actually usually getting faster than that. But they are using a service where they can't see their speed meter and only get the final results, and what it does, is catch it at 2MB down when it's finished.

I hope that makes sense. Go to speedtest.net and you will see what I mean. If it does it too fast for you to see the meter, reload it and do it again about 5 times, and finally you will see your actual results.

TexasRebel

Edgewood, TX

I can do 10 consecutive speed tests with HN's speed tester and the most I've seen is 11Mbps. Lately it's been in the 6-8Mbps range.

Why doesn't HNG4 perform like Exede??? Why can't HNG4 deliver well over the 15Mbps since it has hardly any users on it??

monicakm

Grand Saline, TX
reply to pablo1516

Re: Gen 4/Two Weeks and..

They absolutely CAN continue to deliver 'good' service. But WILL they continue to deliver 'good' service. The answer, based on my 7 or 8 years with them, is NOOOOOOOO! Sorry

C0RR0SIVE88

@direcway.com
reply to hughesnet123

Re: Gen 4/Two Weeks and...

It's a different burst than you are thinking, from my understanding, they load a crap-ton of data to your terminal, and your terminal unpacks it at plan speeds and feeds it to you, once the terminal is ready to unpack more data, the system sends another large chunk to you. In theory, you should be able to keep a "constant" speed, I know I was capable of pulling a SOLID 10Mbps for hours on end one night, never showed signs of a "burst".