vue666 (banned)
Let's make Canchat better!!!
join:2007-12-07

vue666 (banned) to dirtyjeffer0

to dirtyjeffer0

Re: Gasoline Prices Below 99 Cents/Litre By Christmas

Well from the article I quoted above from news.consumerreports.org
quote:
The DSG transmission is only adding a small percent fuel economy gain compared to a regular automatic.

dirtyjeffer0
Posers don't use avatars.
Premium Member
join:2002-02-21
London, ON

dirtyjeffer0

Premium Member

said by vue666:

Well from the article I quoted above from news.consumerreports.org

quote:
The DSG transmission is only adding a small percent fuel economy gain compared to a regular automatic.

when looking at »www.fueleconomy.gov and comparing a 2012 VW Golf GTI with its 2.0L turbo 4 cylinder engine and a 6speed DSG automatic, 6 speed Manual and a 2012 Saab 9-3 Sport Combi with its 2.0L turbo 4 cylinder engine and automatic transmission, here are the results:

VW GTI - DSG - 27mpg
VW GTI - 6sp Manual - 25mpg
Saab - 6sp auto - 22mpg

i know it may be tough to compare the Saab and VW, but i tried to find two vehicles with a 2.0L turbo engine and specifically one with a conventional automatic transmission...in this example, the VW gets 5 mpg better fuel economy over the Saab which has a similar sized engine, and it even beats its manual counterpart by 2 mpg...in almost every example, a DSG automatic will outperform any manual transmission and conventional automatic transmission...its drawback is the fluid change, but that is the cost of having a sophisticated transmission that maximizes performance and fuel economy...spend less on maintenance in another brand with a conventional automatic and spend more in gas instead.

in the above example (DSG to auto), that is 23% improvement in fuel economy...i would consider that to be better than a "small improvement"...again, i know it is difficult to compare the 9-3 to a GTI, but feel free to compare other vehicles on that site if you can think of other ones instead...even if you gain 10%, that means if you spend $40/week on gas, that $4 saved per week, times 52 weeks, times 4 years is $832...more than enough to pay for the DSG fluid change...in the automatic car, you may have to pay for a flush as well (which i did in my Taurus at 120,000 kms, it was $120).

Gone
Premium Member
join:2011-01-24
Fort Erie, ON

Gone

Premium Member

For what it's worth, the biggest draw to a DSG isn't the fuel economy improvement, it's about the improved driving experience.
vue666 (banned)

vue666 (banned)

And how many cars with DSG transmissions have you owned?

Gone
Premium Member
Fort Erie, ON

Gone

Premium Member

said by vue666:

And how many cars with DSG transmissions have you owned?

Aside from a friend who had a Jetta with one, this is the way VW markets the DSG themselves and is easily obtainable by anyone with even the most limited search skills.

Since we're asking questions, how many DSGs have you owned, vue? Any experience with them at all? While we're asking questions, do you even have any experience with CVTs aside from snowmobiles?
vue666 (banned)

vue666 (banned)

How can you claim they provide a better driving experience if you've never driven one yourself?

As far as marketing...well that's another story now isn't it... Marketing is all about hype....

Gone
Premium Member
Fort Erie, ON

Gone

Premium Member

said by vue666:

How can you claim they provide a better driving experience if you've never driven one yourself?

Because VWs claim all along has not been about fuel efficiency, it has been about improved driving experience. That's what VW says.

And, considering you haven't driven one either, who are you to say that what VW claims isn't true? At least I've got the word of someone I trust saying that it is an improved driving experience when shifting sequential gears. What do you have, vue?
vue666 (banned)

1 edit

vue666 (banned)

I never said it was a better driving experience or not... Just asking what you based your comment on... So it is anecdotal evidence, you base your opinion on the opinion of a friend... That's fine...

However if a friend told me chocolate tasted good I would certainly take his word but I would not base my opinion until I tasted chocolate...

What VW advertises about their DSG trannys or what GM says about their Volt is just that hype. Advertising...

The DSG is a relatively new transmission, and how it will stand up long term compared to older style automatics that have been around a lot longer is unknown...

Gone
Premium Member
Fort Erie, ON

Gone

Premium Member

said by vue666:

The DSG is a relatively new transmission

The dual clutch transmissions - which the DSG is - was designed during WW2, so it's not exactly a new design.

The fact that it was only put in a production vehicle in the early 2000s is of the same relevance to CVTs being introduced at approximately the same time yet being used for other purposes long before.
vue666 (banned)

vue666 (banned)

said by Gone:

said by vue666:

The DSG is a relatively new transmission

The dual clutch transmissions - which the DSG is - was designed during WW2, so it's not exactly a new design.

The fact that it was only put in a production vehicle in the early 2000s is of the same relevance to CVTs being introduced at approximately the same time yet being used for other purposes long before.

Yes designed by Adolphe Kégresse of France prior to WWII but designed on paper only... Not available in the consumer market until recently... Hence unproven....

dirtyjeffer0
Premium Member
London, ON

dirtyjeffer0 to vue666

Premium Member

to vue666
i have driven them, and if you read any review on a vehicle equipped with that such a transmission, you will read similar responses...VW uses DSGs in their "pedestrian" vehicles like TDi models and GTis (most vehicles with the turbo engine get the DSG)...Audi uses them, as does Ferrari and Lamborghini...VW has been doing them the longest though (about 12 years in the consumer market), as it was launched after successful development and deployment in racing (i believe under the Audi moniker)...Hyundai has recently designed one as well, although it doesn't seem as well received (it is their first attempt), and Ford has one as well...although the Ford unit isn't a hydraulic one, it uses electrical actuators to manipulate the gear changes...while this means there is no fluid change required, the operation of the device isn't as smooth and fluid as the VW model...it makes sense VWs unit works so well, they have been doing it the longest and have sold millions of them...if brands like Hyundai and Ford continue to improve their units, it is quite possible they may become equally "premium" in feel and performance...i would imagine it is costly to develop and improve, so we will see what their commitment is to them.

fuel economy, driving dynamics and practicality all rolled up into one:
»www.youtube.com/watch?fe ··· S63Oh0#!
vue666 (banned)

1 edit

vue666 (banned)

I thought it was Porsche who used them for racing... Not sure though...

I believe Borg Warner makes some parts for the DSG trannys...

dirtyjeffer0
Premium Member
London, ON

dirtyjeffer0 to vue666

Premium Member

to vue666
said by vue666:

Yes designed by Adolphe Kégresse of France prior to WWII but designed on paper only... Not available in the consumer market until recently... Hence unproven....

the first DSG was used in Porsche racing cars in the 80s...it was first used for the consumer market in 2002 (2003 model year)...it's been around for a decade and has sold a TON of units (likely at least a million or more)...it is not "unproven".
dirtyjeffer0

dirtyjeffer0 to vue666

Premium Member

to vue666
said by vue666:
I thought it was Porsche you used them for racing... Not sure though...
yes, i thought it may have been Audi, but it was Porsche.
quote:
I believe Borg Warner makes some parts for the DSG trannys...

Borg Warner helped design the unit, which was then licensed to VW to produce.
vue666 (banned)

2 edits

vue666 (banned) to dirtyjeffer0

to dirtyjeffer0
Unproven when compared to traditional trannys...

Of course perspective is relative...

Will the more costly maintenance and servicing of DSG trannys result in a higher or lower total cost of ownership is uncertain...

And then there will be the costly rebuilds and repairs when the warranty has expired... I'm doubting it is something one of the transmission chains like Mister Transmission or Cottman be able to tackle... So it's off to the dealer...

Kardinal
Dei Gratina Regina
Mod
join:2001-02-04
N of 49th

Kardinal to dirtyjeffer0

Mod

to dirtyjeffer0
said by dirtyjeffer0:

Audi uses them, as does Ferrari and Lamborghini...

Ferrari just started with a DSG in the new California and 458; up to then, it was a semi-automated manual that uses a single clutch that is compute operated rather than with the driver's left foot. The Gallardo still uses a single-clutch (called 'E-gear'), as does the new Aventador, but they are much smoother and better than the early flappy-paddle single clutch transmissions.

Porsche's PDK (Porsche Doppelkupplung, aka Tiptronic/Tiptronic S) is one of the first DSG boxes to be available to the general public. It is available in the Boxter, Cayman, 911 and Panamera models.
vue666 (banned)

vue666 (banned)

For what it is worth Car & Driver magazine preferred the manual tranny over the dsg when test a VW GTI..

»www.caranddriver.com/rev ··· e-page-2

Kardinal
Dei Gratina Regina
Mod
join:2001-02-04
N of 49th

Kardinal

Mod

They don't like the DSG in the Focus either:

»www.caranddriver.com/com ··· l-page-6

We were disappointed in the PowerShift dual-clutch transmission, which feels like it is programmed to mimic a conventional automatic instead of a manual with sporting intentions. Programming wasn’t the only problem we had with the transmission: At low speeds when the car was cold, we noted numerous disconcerting clunks and jolts. Additionally, we could feel the clutch chattering as we crept along in traffic, and the shifts were slow (for a dual-clutch unit) and soft. Put it in sport mode, and the shifts get faster, but they’re still nowhere near as quick and crisp as Volkswagen’s DSG, and the shift logic seems programmed only to burn more fuel by never upshifting, not to provide enthusiastic response.

MaynardKrebs
We did it. We heaved Steve. Yipee.
Premium Member
join:2009-06-17

MaynardKrebs to Gone

Premium Member

to Gone
said by Gone:

DAF in Holland was producing CVT automobile transmissions in the late 1950's.

CVT's were banned by F1 in 1994 due to fears that well funded teams would dominate the production/use of them to the detriment of the sport (ie. make it as boring as Schumacher winning every race for years).

Japan is currently building a new design 48 tonne main battle tank using a CVT derivative.
vue666 (banned)

vue666 (banned)

I maybe 'Ol Skool' but I much prefer the feel of a clutch and knowledge I have control of my car and not my car has control over me...

Shrug
@videotron.ca

Shrug

Anon

Seems a batch of hybrids caught fire and exploded due to their batteries during the storm.

»updates.jalopnik.com/pos ··· fire-and

Guess homeowners should ask their insurance for car explosion protection along with flood protection.

Gone
Premium Member
Fort Erie, ON

Gone

Premium Member

Electric devices mixed with impure water will generally produce poor results. What else would you expect?
vue666 (banned)

vue666 (banned) to Shrug

to Shrug
said by Shrug :

Seems a batch of hybrids caught fire and exploded due to their batteries during the storm.

»updates.jalopnik.com/pos ··· fire-and

Guess homeowners should ask their insurance for car explosion protection along with flood protection.

Was Justin Bieber behind the wheel of any of these exploded Fisker Karmas? LOL

HiVolt
Premium Member
join:2000-12-28
Toronto, ON

HiVolt

Premium Member

said by vue666:

Was Justin Bieber behind the wheel of any of these exploded Fisker Karmas? LOL

We can only dream, eh?

Did you hear that this turd will be "performing" during the Grey Cup halftime show?

I'm no CFL fan, but holy crap couldn't they find anyone else?

Gone
Premium Member
Fort Erie, ON

Gone

Premium Member

... wha?!

dirtyjeffer0
Premium Member
London, ON

dirtyjeffer0 to vue666

Premium Member

to vue666
said by vue666:

For what it is worth Car & Driver magazine preferred the manual tranny over the dsg when test a VW GTI..

»www.caranddriver.com/rev ··· e-page-2

of course...true drivers prefer a manual...but most of live in the city, and shifting the gears gets tiring fast when you spend most of your journey through rush hour stop and go traffic.
dirtyjeffer0

dirtyjeffer0 to Kardinal

Premium Member

to Kardinal
said by Kardinal:

They don't like the DSG in the Focus either:

»www.caranddriver.com/com ··· l-page-6

We were disappointed in the PowerShift dual-clutch transmission, which feels like it is programmed to mimic a conventional automatic instead of a manual with sporting intentions. Programming wasn’t the only problem we had with the transmission: At low speeds when the car was cold, we noted numerous disconcerting clunks and jolts. Additionally, we could feel the clutch chattering as we crept along in traffic, and the shifts were slow (for a dual-clutch unit) and soft. Put it in sport mode, and the shifts get faster, but they’re still nowhere near as quick and crisp as Volkswagen’s DSG, and the shift logic seems programmed only to burn more fuel by never upshifting, not to provide enthusiastic response.

yea, the one used in the focus is a hydraulic unit (unlike the electric unit in the Fiesta), but it's a first gen unit...VW has a 10 year head start here...as i said before, if Ford sticks to it, refines it and continues to invest to improve it, it will get better...it just depends on whether they will do that...i would imagine with the increasing pressure to improve fuel economy, they will.
dirtyjeffer0

dirtyjeffer0 to vue666

Premium Member

to vue666
said by vue666:

I maybe 'Ol Skool' but I much prefer the feel of a clutch and knowledge I have control of my car and not my car has control over me...

you have control of the car with a DSG transmission...a DSG is essentially a manual transmission whose gears are actuated using hydraulic actuation rather than you using your hand on a shift linkage...as well, they have a "manual" mode (either on the shift lever or paddles) that allow you to control the shifting yourself...it gives you all the benefits of a manual and all the benefits of an automatic.

Black Box
join:2002-12-21

Black Box to dirtyjeffer0

to dirtyjeffer0
Well, I drive a manual (and the model has a notoriously hard clutch) in Toronto traffic everyday. In fact, I never owned an automatic.

Once you've done it for a while you don't even think about it. Maybe you plan your speed so by the time you get too close to the car in front it moves.

dirtyjeffer0
Premium Member
London, ON

dirtyjeffer0

Premium Member

i've had numerous manuals over the years (including several motorcycles)...it's lost its "coolness".