Romney - Ryan 2012

Nezmo
The name's Bond. James Bond.
Premium,MVM
join:2004-11-10
Coppell, TX
kudos:1
reply to BellBoy

I just got asked for my Apple ID password again while just browsing the App Store on my 4S.
--
My Gallery
Formerly Nezmo

Andy from CA
Premium
join:2008-09-05
Anaheim, CA

said by Nezmo:

I just got asked for my Apple ID password again while just browsing the App Store on my 4S.

I just tried both App Store and iTunes and no password prompt on my old fashion 3GS.

bobrk
You kids get offa my lawn
Premium
join:2000-02-02
San Jose, CA
Reviews:
·SONIC.NET
reply to Andy from CA

said by Andy from CA:

Updating my 3GS with 6.0.1 and being entertained by the animated turning gears icon.

That was indeed Teh Awesome™.

Nezmo
Premium,MVM
Coppell, TX
reply to BellBoy

said by BellBoy:

Wow...for my 5 (without installing the OTA updater fix) the download comes in at a whopping 983 megs!

BTW, 48MB on a 4S. I guess it was truly an increment and not a full reload.
--
My Gallery
Formerly Nezmo

Andy from CA
Premium
join:2008-09-05
Anaheim, CA

said by Nezmo:

said by BellBoy:

Wow...for my 5 (without installing the OTA updater fix) the download comes in at a whopping 983 megs!

IIRC my 3GS was around 64MB.

DKS
Damn Kidney Stones
Premium,ExMod 2002
join:2001-03-22
Owen Sound, ON
kudos:2
reply to Nezmo

said by Nezmo:

said by BellBoy:

That was my experience. Similar for my iPad 2
--
Need-based health care not greed-based health care.

Maven
Premium
join:2002-03-12
Canada
reply to BellBoy

Sounds like a lot of the issues linger. I'll be sticking with 5.11.

norbert26
Premium
join:2010-08-10
Warwick, RI
reply to BellBoy

updating my old ip4 now watching the wheels turn. They make it sound like the update is only for ip5

J E F F
Whatta Ya Think About Dat?
Premium
join:2004-04-01
Kitchener, ON
Reviews:
·Rogers Portable ..
reply to Nezmo

said by Nezmo:

Edit - reading the details I'm not hopeful my issues are addressed. Time will tell.

My iPhone 4 freezes and crashes apps constantly. Was hoping the upgrade would fix it, but it's only worse. Not sure what else I can do. Regret the day I upgraded to 6.

My device isn't jail broken, perhaps I should just go ahead and restore it.
--
If you can't explain it simply, you don't understand it well enough. - Albert Einstein

ptrowski
Got Helix?
Premium
join:2005-03-14
Putnam, CT
kudos:4

That is why I am staying on a jail broken 4s running 5.1.1 which works like a charm.

Thinkdiff
Premium,MVM
join:2001-08-07
Bronx, NY
kudos:11
reply to J E F F

said by J E F F:

I think that's a given. Frequent app crashes are not normal.
--
University of Southern California - Fight On!

Nezmo
Premium,MVM
Coppell, TX

said by Thinkdiff:

said by J E F F:

I think that's a given. Frequent app crashes are not normal.

Something is up. In all the years I've had iPhones I have had very few issues overall. But my 4S has been quite unreliable since I put iOS 6 on it. It's a shame as now what was once something that was basically very reliable is now riddled with freezes and crashes.

I can try a restore but it's obvious I'm not the only one with issues. I'd hate to go through all that for no reason. Smacks of my help desk telling me to clear my browser cache, history and cookies this morning to fix a remote desktop issue and I knew that was nothing to do with it. And it wasn't.

I have never jailbroken.
--
My Gallery
Formerly Nezmo

ptrowski
Got Helix?
Premium
join:2005-03-14
Putnam, CT
reply to BellBoy

So nothing about fixing the phantom data usage?

Nezmo
Premium,MVM
Coppell, TX

said by ptrowski:

So nothing about fixing the phantom data usage?

Apparently not. But, the wheels are animated now. That probably makes more people happy than the Wi-Fi fix. Jony gets knighted for this stuff you know.

--
My Gallery
Formerly Nezmo

J E F F
Premium
Kitchener, ON
Reviews:
·Rogers Portable ..
reply to Nezmo

I tried to restore once already, connection to server error!!! Will try again and will get back to you, I have a couple apps that don't work at all.
--
If you can't explain it simply, you don't understand it well enough. - Albert Einstein

J E F F
Premium
Kitchener, ON
Reviews:
·Rogers Portable ..
reply to Nezmo

Well, did a restore to factory and the device still crashes apps and freezes.

I do have a warranty (not applecare but from my provider) and will revert to the BlackBerry until it is fixed. Although I only had issues with the iOS 6 update.
--

Nezmo
Premium,MVM
Coppell, TX

4 edits
reply to BellBoy

Oh, and Auto-Brightness still not working on my 4S with this update. It has been working fine under iOS 6 on my iPad 2 (and still does under 6.0.1).

BTW, this has been a well-reported problem. And it does affect some iPads too.

Edit: After posting I did some more digging. It seems this feature changed in iOS 6 but of course we are supposed to guess that. Here's some info but for me, this does not work with the iPad 2. The iPad 2 continues to work like it did before - I set the slider about half way and have auto on. The fact the 4S no longer worked that way made me think it was broken.

"1. You need to set slider on minimum brightness
2. Turn auto-brightness one ON/OFF and set it on ON, than it will adjust automaticly

"Auto-Brightness:

The auto-dim feature got significantly improved in iOS 6. The best improvement is brightness adjustment in the lock screen. Before, in a dark room, I would be blasted with the iPad or iPhone’s default brightness before sliding to unlock and having it dim down to match the room’s brightness. Now, from the moment the screen turns on, the brightness is appropriate.

In all previous versions of iOS, the light sensor would sense the room’s brightness and then suddenly make the brightness adjustment. In iOS 6, the auto-brightness adjustment is gradual and much more subtle, like the Mac. "

This explains things better...

»www.youtube.com/watch?feature=pl···kXbCrc58
--
My Gallery
Formerly Nezmo

Elite

join:2002-10-03
Orange, CT
reply to BellBoy

Installed this bad boy a couple days ago on my iPhone 5 OTA. Seems to change... absolutely nothing. But I've experienced pretty much ZERO issues on iOS 6, contrary to most other users.
--
QUAD!!!!

Stacy
FotoDogue
Premium
join:2001-11-02
New York, NY
reply to Nezmo

said by Jackarino:

I have no power or wifi so I cannot update

said by Nezmo:

I would think a phone firmware update would be bottom of your list of concerns right now.

You underestimate the importance of a cell phone and reliable communication in a disaster area.

darcilicious
Cyber Librarian
Premium
join:2001-01-02
Forest Grove, OR

I shouldn't think that a minor update like this is critical to making an iPhone work...? Or did I miss a major issue with the 6.0 release?
--
♬ Music is life ♬

Nezmo
Premium,MVM
Coppell, TX
reply to Stacy

said by Stacy:

said by Jackarino:

I have no power or wifi so I cannot update

said by Nezmo:

I would think a phone firmware update would be bottom of your list of concerns right now.

You underestimate the importance of a cell phone and reliable communication in a disaster area.

Uh, no. My comment was about the poster wanting to update firmware - hardly a priority in times of catastrophy. I would assume their phone was working just as well under iOS 6 without needing to upgrade.
--
My Gallery
Formerly Nezmo

GuruGuy

join:2002-12-16
Atlanta, GA
reply to BellBoy

said by BellBoy:

»9to5mac.com/2012/11/01/apple-rel···g-fixes/

[att=1]

iPhone 5 owners will have to download this update through iTunes as a bug prevents over-the-air updating.

[att=2]

Ran this update on two iPhones that had WiFi turned OFF and after the update, the setting on both phones had been turned on.
--
GuruGuy