MVM
join:2003-05-14
Fort Wayne, IN

cdru to Jack_in_VA

MVM

to Jack_in_VA

Re: File a homeowner's claim or not?

said by Jack_in_VA:

You obviously don't know or have never had a substantial loss. The "pencil pusher" is actually a trained adjuster knowledgeable in the damage he or she is looking for.

Several years ago we had a hail storm that came through and required replacement of our roof and siding. The claim was about $15k. Not huge, but not trivial either. I had to point out the hail damage on the roof, but once I did it was clear it was damaged. It's not difficult to find stories on the internet of similar cases where a roofer or other contractor had to work with the adjustor to substantiate the claim. Sure some of the cases I'm sure was the contractor was stretching things for their own benefit. But I'm sure in many cases it was also things that that the adjustor didn't know, see, or catch.

In Indiana, the requirements for an adjustor are fairly basic and require about a week of classes. I'm fairly confident that a week's worth of classes is not enough to learn everything there is to know about property damage.

I'll stand by what I originally said.

Jack_in_VA
Premium Member
join:2007-11-26
North, VA

Jack_in_VA

Premium Member

And I'll stand by my observation. When the company brings in an adjuster from Hawaii then he's no run of the mill pencil pusher.

As far as a roof it's a standard depending on size and type of shingles. Siding also. Not rocket science
nonymous (banned)
join:2003-09-08
Glendale, AZ

nonymous (banned) to cdru

to cdru
said by cdru:

said by Jack_in_VA:

You obviously don't know or have never had a substantial loss. The "pencil pusher" is actually a trained adjuster knowledgeable in the damage he or she is looking for.

Several years ago we had a hail storm that came through and required replacement of our roof and siding. The claim was about $15k. Not huge, but not trivial either. I had to point out the hail damage on the roof, but once I did it was clear it was damaged. It's not difficult to find stories on the internet of similar cases where a roofer or other contractor had to work with the adjustor to substantiate the claim. Sure some of the cases I'm sure was the contractor was stretching things for their own benefit. But I'm sure in many cases it was also things that that the adjustor didn't know, see, or catch.

In Indiana, the requirements for an adjustor are fairly basic and require about a week of classes. I'm fairly confident that a week's worth of classes is not enough to learn everything there is to know about property damage.

I'll stand by what I originally said.

I did decent on my roof from the hail damage. they couldn't question it as the whole street was getting their roof done as was a whole bunch of places in Phoenix metro.
They even did well on the cost. So little work for roofers at the time that when this hit they jumped. Only issue we had was getting a real roofer. But since no rush as no leaks we found one and got in line. Local license and bonded not one that followed the storm. Though one out of another AZ town almost won us over.
Both were roofers though and not some other trade needing any work.