spc
Search similar:

uniqs

graddy
@comcastbusiness.net

graddy

Anon

Centurylink charging me for modem not returned after cancel

I moved apartments 2 months ago and decided to cancel rather than transfer my service. I went to a local kiosk with my modem, they took it and packaged it up and gave me for information with tracking number, etc.

2 months later, I've moved and have lost the papers in the shuffle, but I get an email notifying me of a 109 dollar charge for the modem not returned. I called the Centurylink kiosk and they said they have no way to look up past transactions that occurred (ridiculous!) and the online support reply to my complaint says that I need to produce a receipt.

I'm super pissed that I returned the modem to THEIR care like I was supposed to and now they are trying to squeeze 100 more bucks out of me. I'm also pissed at myself for losing the information.

Any advice re: next step? I hate that they can ding my credit because technically they are a bill. Otherwise I'd tell them to **** off.

joebleed
join:2002-05-28
Tarboro, NC

joebleed

buy a cheap one on ebay or see if any of your friends or coworkers have any spares they will give to you and send them that one.

Graddy
@myvzw.com

Graddy

Anon

I don't really think that will work. Surely they have serial numbers recorded or issued routers.

I appreciate the suggestion though.
CenturyLink
join:2009-03-09
Boise, ID

CenturyLink to graddy

to graddy
Hey there, Graddy.

Our team would be happy to look into this for you. Just send us the pertinent account information and we'll see what's going on.

»bit.ly/IArNlt

Please reference this thread when you contact us.

Thanks!
-Doug

skabones
@216.160.78.x

skabones to graddy

Anon

to graddy
Something similar happened to me.

I moved and canceled my service with them just over a year ago. I specifically asked the rep I spoke with if I had any other outstanding charges when I paid my final bill. She told me there was nothing and I was good.

2 months afterwards, CenturyLink calls me and tells me I owe them $100 for their modem. Turns out I had leased the modem for TWO years, and was supposed to return it when I canceled. Nevermind the fact that the cheap Actiontec modem gave out after one year. I bought my own modem and used it for the next year, while still leasing the Actiontec modem. About $8 a month to lease a modem, for two years...$192.

Yes, it's my fault I forgot I had been leasing a modem. My fault for not looking at my bill every month(automatic bill pay seems to have its disadvantages...), but considering I did actually pay almost double what they charge for a modem in lease fees, I am not inclined to indulge in CenturyLink's request.
rjbush3
join:2008-08-05
Orlando, FL

rjbush3

I made the mistake of handing my RMA box to a UPS driver as he was about to leave the shipping store. I didn't get the tracking number. Somehow, Centurylink seems to be having trouble keeping track of things once they come in the door.