how-to block ads

Search Topic:
uniqs
share rss forum feed

Ravenwulf67

join:2012-11-01
Winston Salem, NC

1999 Lexus ES300 Issues

I recently started running into what appeared to be the problems other Lexus ES300 owners were having with a large volume of P0 codes: P0300 (Misfire), P0303, P0304, P0305 - This car has just recently had a tune up performed, with no results, Check Engine came on (Trac off light too) Rough idling, acting as if it wants to stall out. This car sat for about 1.5 weeks, because I did not feel safe driving it. I drove over to Advance Auto so I could get the codes pulled. I don't have a lot of money, and would like to fix it if I am able to afford it. If anyone has any definite information concerning this issue, please respond. IT SEEMS LIKE THIS IS A PROBLEM WITH THIS YEAR LEXUS. 155,290 is the current milage.

cdru
Go Colts
Premium,MVM
join:2003-05-14
Fort Wayne, IN
kudos:7

said by Ravenwulf67:

If anyone has any definite information concerning this issue, please respond.

No one will have any definite information concerning the issue. P0300 is random/multiple cylinder misfires. P0301-P0312 indicates misfires in cylinder 1-12. It's a somewhat generic error in just that it indicates the engine didn't do what it was expected, but the computer doesn't know why.

The cause of a misfire can be just about anything. Common places to start are spark plugs, wires, distributor/ignition coil or coil packs. A clogged catalytic converter can cause airflow restrictions resulting in too much back pressure not allowing the exhaust to exit quickly. Poor fuel pressure from a clogged fuel filter, weak fuel pump is also a possibility as well as bad injectors although the likelihood of a bad injector is reduced since you're having it on multiple cylinders. A bad computer is also possible but unlikely.

Cho Baka
Premium,MVM
join:2000-11-23
there
kudos:2
Reviews:
·TekSavvy DSL
·Cogeco Cable

1 recommendation

reply to Ravenwulf67

Having a "tune-up" done, instead of having the problem diagnosed, is not wise. A poorly done "tune-up" can even cause a problem like you have.

As for what is wrong with yours, it could be anything, even bad gas.

You need to provide real information, WITHOUT YELLING, if you want assistance.

When did it first start, how long have you owned the car, when does it misfire (time of day, hot/cold, rain, dry, idling, under load, etc.), is it equipped with a turbonator 6000, what is the service history, etc.

What type of basic checks are you comfortable performing?

Continuing to operate the vehicle with a misfire will cause expensive damage to the catalytic converters.
--
The talented hawk speaks French.

Ravenwulf67

Winston Salem, NC
reply to cdru

I see. I didn't know misfires could be caused by so many different things. I have had codes pulled in the past and ended up having to changes both ocv valves. The person who performed the tune up is a cert. mechanic, and I do turst his judgment. He did mention to take the car over to have the the valve timing reset. I am taking it to a local mechanic tomorrow. The person who did the tune up lives quite a distance from me, and I really don't trust driving the car that far.

Ravenwulf67

Winston Salem, NC
reply to Cho Baka

I did not realize I yelled in my script, I apologize if you took it as such. I have owned the car approximately 6.5 yrs, routine maintenance regularly, as well as tune ups. This problem came about roughly 2 weeks ago. It drove fine to my job, and then when I was preparing to leave, Check Eng/Trac off lights come on, car sounds rough. I drove it home, parked it and made an appointment for my mechanic to look at it. I had the codes pulled and explained to him what the cars was doing. He changed all the parts out with new hardware. He mentioned taking the car over to either the Lexus or Toyota place and having them reset the "valve" timing, I believe is what he said. I hadn't had an opportunity to do it yet. I drove the car back to the part store to check the codes again, and then attempt to clear them out, codes I have, eng codes cleared for about 15 mins. Past history, I have had both OCV changed, and in this region of issues, that has been pretty much it. The car is wonderful, when it drives like it's supposed to.

cdru
Go Colts
Premium,MVM
join:2003-05-14
Fort Wayne, IN
kudos:7
reply to Ravenwulf67

said by Ravenwulf67:

I have had codes pulled in the past and ended up having to changes both ocv valves. The person who performed the tune up is a cert. mechanic, and I do turst his judgment. He did mention to take the car over to have the the valve timing reset.

Houston, I think we might have found the problem... When were the valves replaced in relationship to when the problems started?

PeeWee
Premium
join:2001-10-21
Madera, CA
reply to Ravenwulf67

Have you ever had to replace ignition coils yet? Yes plural. If not you have gotten more mileage than most. And NOC sensors. If you can't find them, I can show you where to find them for less than $100 ea. for that model. (same as mine)
--
Iphone. Helping computer illiteracy become popular since 2007

Ravenwulf67

Winston Salem, NC
reply to cdru

No, these were changed out long before this problem started happening (2 yrs ago). One thing I forgot to mention was when I parked the this last time, the oil light came. I checked the level and it appeared to be fine.

Ravenwulf67

Winston Salem, NC
reply to PeeWee

The ignition coil was tested and work ok. The noc sensors, I'm not sure about.

PeeWee
Premium
join:2001-10-21
Madera, CA

said by Ravenwulf67:

The ignition coil was tested and work ok. The noc sensors, I'm not sure about.

What kind of mileage do you get? I changed out my noc sensors (2) and resolved a similar issue, the mileage increased to 24.5 again. I thought the mileage drop was age, but now it gets the same as new.
--
Iphone. Helping computer illiteracy become popular since 2007

EGeezer
zichrona livracha
Premium
join:2002-08-04
Midwest
kudos:8
Reviews:
·Callcentric

2 edits
reply to Ravenwulf67

I'd follow your mechanic's recommendation to take the vehicle to a Toyota shop for a valve timing check.

In addition to several other other items like a dirty throttle body, EGR valve, loose or cracked vacuum hoses etc. it's possible your timing belt tensioner may be worn or the belt skipped a cog. At 155,000 miles that's a real possibility.

A stitch in time saves nine. Better to fix it now than later when collateral damage is done to other engine and emissions components.

If you do have the timing belt changed, a good shop will recommend a kit that includes the belt, water pump, idlers, gaskets and seals.

--
Buckle Up. It makes it harder for the aliens to suck you out of your car.

Ravenwulf67

Winston Salem, NC
reply to PeeWee

Milage at best is around 20 to 22 mpg- city and around 28 to 31 hyw.

Ravenwulf67

Winston Salem, NC
reply to EGeezer

OK. Thank you for the advice. I will definitely mention it. I love the car, but it's times like this that make you question your taste... I really do appreciate all the advice. Thank you all again.

EGeezer
zichrona livracha
Premium
join:2002-08-04
Midwest
kudos:8
Reviews:
·Callcentric
reply to Ravenwulf67

said by Ravenwulf67:

Milage at best is around 20 to 22 mpg- city and around 28 to 31 hyw.

That sounds about right for that car. My Avalon with the same engine (1MZFE) gets about 24-25 in town and 30 -31 highway, but I don't drive it hard.

Lots of good people in this forum. Welcome to BBR
--
Buckle Up. It makes it harder for the aliens to suck you out of your car.