Premium
join:2009-02-11
Earth Orbit
kudos:12
reply to GlassyMcPete

Re: Do you still use Windows?

-- "install <x> AV, install <Y> anti-malware, don't click on this, delete
 <Z> registry keys, remove these files, uninstall <A>, reconfigure <B>, 
turn around ten times and say the words, "I'm safe">, etc.

What is going on here?
--
If we lose this freedom of ours, history will record with the greatest astonishment, those who had the most to lose, did the least to prevent its happening.

dave
Premium,MVM
join:2000-05-04
not in ohio
kudos:8
annoying, isn't it?

(due to his use of <a> which gets mistaken for a link anchor)

planet

join:2001-11-05
Oz
kudos:1
Reviews:
·Cox HSI

1 recommendation

I have 3 PCs running windows. The one I trust the most is running, MSE & Faronics AntiExecutable with Windows FW w/Sphinx software control+router. Also, I'm running Fx with NoScript and Adblock Plus on all 3 PCs. All run in a LUA environment unless I have programs to install or WU.
That said:
I also have an IPad w/o any adjunct security options aside from the OS's inherent structure (not jailbroke). My wife loves the IPad since it is easy to use. She can't stand using the Windows PCs with the added security (especially NoScipt blocking Javascript here and there).
Also,
I use a Linux Live CD for my more sensitive needs and I've experimented with Kevin and Nancy's Operating System (KNOS) which boots from a DVD (in my case) and is also bootable from a flashdrive.

That all being said, I don't use the IPad for sensitive anything since I don't know when and if I might be hit with some form of malware. I have some security sense with my windows PCs. There isn't any security available for the IPad as of yet. If you are willing to learn then most OSs are able to be secured (nothing is 100%). Though, most people prefer to have PCs work out of the box.