spc
uniqs
vue666 (banned)
Let's make Canchat better!!!
join:2007-12-07

vue666 (banned) to Kardinal

to Kardinal

Re: Gasoline Prices Below 99 Cents/Litre By Christmas

For what it is worth Car & Driver magazine preferred the manual tranny over the dsg when test a VW GTI..

»www.caranddriver.com/rev ··· e-page-2

Kardinal
Dei Gratina Regina
Mod
join:2001-02-04
N of 49th

Kardinal

Mod

They don't like the DSG in the Focus either:

»www.caranddriver.com/com ··· l-page-6

We were disappointed in the PowerShift dual-clutch transmission, which feels like it is programmed to mimic a conventional automatic instead of a manual with sporting intentions. Programming wasn’t the only problem we had with the transmission: At low speeds when the car was cold, we noted numerous disconcerting clunks and jolts. Additionally, we could feel the clutch chattering as we crept along in traffic, and the shifts were slow (for a dual-clutch unit) and soft. Put it in sport mode, and the shifts get faster, but they’re still nowhere near as quick and crisp as Volkswagen’s DSG, and the shift logic seems programmed only to burn more fuel by never upshifting, not to provide enthusiastic response.

dirtyjeffer0
Posers don't use avatars.
Premium Member
join:2002-02-21
London, ON

dirtyjeffer0 to vue666

Premium Member

to vue666
said by vue666:

For what it is worth Car & Driver magazine preferred the manual tranny over the dsg when test a VW GTI..

»www.caranddriver.com/rev ··· e-page-2

of course...true drivers prefer a manual...but most of live in the city, and shifting the gears gets tiring fast when you spend most of your journey through rush hour stop and go traffic.
dirtyjeffer0

dirtyjeffer0 to Kardinal

Premium Member

to Kardinal
said by Kardinal:

They don't like the DSG in the Focus either:

»www.caranddriver.com/com ··· l-page-6

We were disappointed in the PowerShift dual-clutch transmission, which feels like it is programmed to mimic a conventional automatic instead of a manual with sporting intentions. Programming wasn’t the only problem we had with the transmission: At low speeds when the car was cold, we noted numerous disconcerting clunks and jolts. Additionally, we could feel the clutch chattering as we crept along in traffic, and the shifts were slow (for a dual-clutch unit) and soft. Put it in sport mode, and the shifts get faster, but they’re still nowhere near as quick and crisp as Volkswagen’s DSG, and the shift logic seems programmed only to burn more fuel by never upshifting, not to provide enthusiastic response.

yea, the one used in the focus is a hydraulic unit (unlike the electric unit in the Fiesta), but it's a first gen unit...VW has a 10 year head start here...as i said before, if Ford sticks to it, refines it and continues to invest to improve it, it will get better...it just depends on whether they will do that...i would imagine with the increasing pressure to improve fuel economy, they will.

Black Box
join:2002-12-21

Black Box to dirtyjeffer0

to dirtyjeffer0
Well, I drive a manual (and the model has a notoriously hard clutch) in Toronto traffic everyday. In fact, I never owned an automatic.

Once you've done it for a while you don't even think about it. Maybe you plan your speed so by the time you get too close to the car in front it moves.

dirtyjeffer0
Premium Member
London, ON

dirtyjeffer0

Premium Member

i've had numerous manuals over the years (including several motorcycles)...it's lost its "coolness".

Mike2009
join:2009-01-13
Ottawa, ON
TP-Link Archer C7
Technicolor DCM476
Grandstream HT701

Mike2009 to Black Box

to Black Box
said by Black Box:

Well, I drive a manual (and the model has a notoriously hard clutch) in Toronto traffic everyday. In fact, I never owned an automatic.

Once you've done it for a while you don't even think about it. Maybe you plan your speed so by the time you get too close to the car in front it moves.

I totally agree. I drive a Cooper S that has a hard clutch. I drive it in traffic daily with no issue. I think Jeffer is getting old.
vue666 (banned)

vue666 (banned)

Try driving a manual in the Halifax area of HRM. Downtown Halifax is on the side of a hill. It's like a mini San Fransisco... Pulling away on hills in bumper to bumper traffic is a skill...

The clutch on my 60 Vette is really hard. Yes there are times when I wish the tranny was an automatic like a 700R4 but I still prefer a manual. I actually know a few guys who replaced their manual trannys with TH350s, 700R4s, etc and they claim it really ruined their driving experience and enjoyment of their muscle car...

AND the maintenance to a manual tranny would not be as costly as a dsg...

When I purchased my Vette in 1983 the previous owner used the car as a drag racer...That is a legal drag race car on a 1/4 mile strip. The tranny in my Vette is a Muncie M21 and not the M22 - 'rock crusher'. It also has a scattershield and not a stock bell housing...

At the time of purchase the 2nd gear synchro needed replacing. After purchasing a replacement synchro, my kid brother & I had the tranny out of the car, replaced the tranny, clutch and pressure plate in a single afternoon. I can't imagine doing repairs of a dsg tranny in my backyard on a summer's afternoon...
vue666

vue666 (banned) to Mike2009

to Mike2009
said by Mike2009:

said by Black Box:

I totally agree. I drive a Cooper S that has a hard clutch. I drive it in traffic daily with no issue. I think Jeffer is getting old.

Is that a classic Mini Cooper S or a newer BMW model? Either way nice car!!!!
vue666

1 edit

vue666 (banned) to dirtyjeffer0

to dirtyjeffer0
said by dirtyjeffer0:

i've had numerous manuals over the years (including several motorcycles)...it's lost its "coolness".

Hoss, I wasn't aware you owned motorcycles in the past... Probably an Harley, Norton or BSA I'm betting...
peterboro (banned)
join:2006-11-03
Peterborough, ON

peterboro (banned) to Mike2009

to Mike2009
said by Mike2009:

No he just lost his "coolness" or mojo. The burbs will do that by sucking the life out of you.
vue666 (banned)

vue666 (banned)

I'm betting Hoss traded in his Harley for a moped...
peterboro (banned)
Peterborough, ON

peterboro (banned)

I believe he had a Japanese bike of moderate CCs so a moped was not much of a step down.

Gone
Premium Member
join:2011-01-24
Fort Erie, ON

Gone

Premium Member

Hah!

dirtyjeffer0
Premium Member
London, ON

dirtyjeffer0 to peterboro

Premium Member

to peterboro
said by peterboro:

I believe he had a Japanese bike of moderate CCs so a moped was not much of a step down.

some of my bikes looked like this:

if i was going to buy a bike again, i would be very tempted by this one (Triumph Street Triple):

Mike2009
join:2009-01-13
Ottawa, ON
TP-Link Archer C7
Technicolor DCM476
Grandstream HT701

Mike2009 to vue666

to vue666
said by vue666:

said by Mike2009:

said by Black Box:

Is that a classic Mini Cooper S or a newer BMW model? Either way nice car!!!!

Thanks. It's a 2007 Cooper S. Lots of fun to drive.
Mike2009

Mike2009 to peterboro

to peterboro
said by peterboro:

said by Mike2009:

No he just lost his "coolness" or mojo. The burbs will do that by sucking the life out of you.

Be nice, I live in the burbs too.
vue666 (banned)

vue666 (banned) to dirtyjeffer0

to dirtyjeffer0
said by dirtyjeffer0:

said by peterboro:

some of my bikes looked like this:
[att=1]
[att=2]
[att=3]
[att=4]

if i was going to buy a bike again, i would be very tempted by this one (Triumph Street Triple):
[att=5]

Gee Hoss you always came across as someone who was more comfortable with a hammer then a calculator...

digitalfutur
Sees More Than Shown
Premium Member
join:2000-07-15
GTA

digitalfutur to dirtyjeffer0

Premium Member

to dirtyjeffer0
Sticks are not only not cool, they're not as fast as an automatic and its clutch-less iterations, and use more fuel compared to a 7-9 speed auto or a CVT.

With over 95% penetration now, automatics will soon be close to 100% on consumer vehicles, thanks to computerization and more stringent fuel economy standards.

Who's developing an 8 speed manual (clutch) for a car? Case closed.

Juggernaut
Irreverent or irrelevant?
Premium Member
join:2006-09-05
Kelowna, BC

Juggernaut

Premium Member

When the bill comes in from repairing those trannies, you'll weep. Manuals? Not so much.

elwoodblues
Elwood Blues
Premium Member
join:2006-08-30
Somewhere in

elwoodblues to digitalfutur

Premium Member

to digitalfutur
said by digitalfutur:

Sticks are not only not cool, they're not as fast as an automatic and its clutch-less iterations, and use more fuel compared to a 7-9 speed auto or a CVT.

Not my fault people are clueless and can't drive a stick, I learned on both an automatic and a stick. The majority of the cars I've owned have had sticks

BMW has a 7 speed and so does Porsche. Close enough.

CVT's are a joke, I can't wait for the day those belts wear out and.or break (inevitable) and the powertrain is out of warranty.

$$$$$$$$$

nitzguy
Premium Member
join:2002-07-11
Sudbury, ON

nitzguy to Juggernaut

Premium Member

to Juggernaut
said by Juggernaut:

When the bill comes in from repairing those trannies, you'll weep. Manuals? Not so much.

Its a chicken and egg scenario you paint though....how do you learn to drive a stick?...you can't...because nobody has one...its not that I don't want to...its that I can't learn and I don't want to burn out clutches and not drive and get frustrated...

So explain to me how I solve this
GBerry
join:2011-06-12
Guelph, ON

GBerry to digitalfutur

to digitalfutur
said by digitalfutur:

With over 95% penetration now, automatics will soon be close to 100% on consumer vehicles, thanks to computerization and more stringent fuel economy standards.

Lewis Hamilton is buying/bought a Zonda with a manual not the DSG. Know why? He prefers them because they are more fun. I wouldn't blame him either. I may not be able to handle that car but the videos I've seen of the DSG make it look rather rough in 1st.

Personally, I'd rather drive a 150hp manual than a 300hp automatic. Might not be as fast but it is much more enjoyable to drive.
peterboro (banned)
Peterborough, ON

peterboro (banned) to digitalfutur

to digitalfutur
said by digitalfutur:

You're kinda correct. The fastest cars use a combination of both actually that take the clutch out of the equation but allow the driver to control shift points.

So in my Pro Street I use an automatic with a Cheetah valve body that has a reverse pattern no first gear brake and fully manual.

As I drive the car on the street now for the last couple decades there is no more trans brake and the stall is more reasonable for fuel mileage.
vue666 (banned)

vue666 (banned) to digitalfutur

to digitalfutur
said by digitalfutur:

BMN and Porsche are looking into 7 and 8 speed manual trannies...

»www.e90post.com/forums/s ··· t=701345

»www.dailytech.com/BMW+Pa ··· 4881.htm
vue666

vue666 (banned) to peterboro

to peterboro
said by peterboro:

said by digitalfutur:

You're kinda correct. The fastest cars use a combination of both actually that take the clutch out of the equation but allow the driver to control shift points.

So in my Pro Street I use an automatic with a Cheetah valve body that has a reverse pattern no first gear brake and fully manual.

As I drive the car on the street now for the last couple decades there is no more trans brake and the stall is more reasonable for fuel mileage.

In drag racing automatics are preferred as they are more consistent allowing the driver to keep as close as possible to his "index" without going over it (which would result in being a disallowed run)....

Actually the two speed GM Powerglide is still one of the more preferred trannys in drag racing....

Gone
Premium Member
join:2011-01-24
Fort Erie, ON

Gone

Premium Member

said by vue666:

In drag racing automatics are preferred as they are more consistent allowing the driver to keep as close as possible to his "index" without going over it (which would result in being a disallowed run)....

I thought they used sequential transmissions rather than proper automatics?

Kardinal
Dei Gratina Regina
Mod
join:2001-02-04
N of 49th

2 recommendations

Kardinal to digitalfutur

Mod

to digitalfutur
said by digitalfutur:

Why are they "not cool"? Because hip-hop wannabes can't be reclined halfway to the back seat, leaning over onto the console and still shift gears? As for "fast", I don't do track day driving on my daily commute, so an extra two hundred milliseconds per shift aren't really a bother to me; I prefer to actually be involved in driving a car, rather than have it do the work for me. Furthermore, the fast shifting transmissions are usually dual clutch automated manuals, not automatics in the traditional sense.

I think if all cars came with a manual, we'd have fewer distracted drivers who were talking/texting/emailing because they would have to be more involved with the act of piloting several thousand kilos of steel/rubber/aluminum/leather rather than that being second or third on their operation priority list. Besides, any man who can't shift a manual without using the clutch can check their "package" at the door.

Styvas
Who are we? Forge FC!
Premium Member
join:2004-09-15
Hamilton, ON

Styvas

Premium Member

An interesting thing I realized recently is that manual transmissions really mess up insurance quotes. My wife simply can't drive a stick shift. She doesn't know how. She'd never get it out of the driveway. Therefore, I'm the primary driver on that car. However, she generally prefers that I drive, plus with my long commute I spend more time in the other car than her on the basis of kilometers alone (even if she drove it 100% of the rest of the time).

But insurance can't compute the idea that I'm primary driver on both cars they just don't allow it). Since she has only been licensed for a few years, her rating is lower than mine and our insurance rates are higher because she has to be noted as primary driver on the automatic transmission vehicle. It's really quite silly.
vue666 (banned)

vue666 (banned) to Gone

to Gone
said by Gone:

said by vue666:

I thought they used sequential transmissions rather than proper automatics?

I think it depends on the class... It's been quite a while since I really followed the NHRA or IHRA. Perhaps Peterboro can pipe in...

I know some classes use something like the Lenco manual trans which has a shift lever for each gear. I know Pro Stock class used Lenco...

While other classes seem to prefer automatics. A Top Fuel rail does the 1/4 mile in 4 seconds (approx) so not a lot of time to shift...
quote:
»en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Po ··· e#Racing

Racing

Although it is a very old design, the Power Glide still has a strong following in drag racing due to its strength and simplicity.[5] Power Glides are also popular in mud racing and monster truck racing. In the first few years after introduction, they became known as the "Slip-N-Slide Power Glide", due to the fluid coupling, (as opposed to the mechanical coupling of a clutch-driven gearbox), and the "Positive-Pop transmission" This last is due to the characteristic "bump" or "pop" which occurs as the transmission is put into gear from neutral.
Currently Robert Campisi from Australia holds the World Record for the fastest run using a Power Glide transmission, clocking 5.95s at 260 mph in his Twin Turbo Ford Mustang in September 2011.[6]

Again it's been quite a while since I followed drag racing....

Summit Racing has a lot of Powerglides for sale...

»www.summitracing.com/sea ··· werglide

»www.atiracing.com/produc ··· ndex.htm

»www.lencoracing.com/

Again Peterboro can correct me...