spc
Search similar:

uniqs
Animal04
join:2012-11-01
Cavan, ON

Animal04

Newbie to WISP advice

I'm new to Canada (from the UK) and thought broadband was available anywhere etc. Yep - I was wrong !

I've bought and moved to a house that is classed as rural and has no cable / DSL but has got WISP. Reading through the forums I asked the WISP company (Wisponline.ca) a few questions and got back the following. None of this means a lot to me so any help and advice would be apprecietd.

My son wants to get back onto playing Call of Duty and online gaming and I want to download movies and stream video hopefully !

----------

We use Ubquiti as our equipment provider and we use a variety of
frequencies, both 2.4 & 5.8 Ghz depending on the location and situation.

we have several towers in that postal code, and we would need your exact address to give you an idea of distance. Most likely you are within a few KM or less from the tower.

Our backhaul equipment also varies. Unfortunately the specifics
are confidential, but suffice to say we are capable of transferring more than enough bandwidth to each of our towers as needed.

the number of customers on a tower vary, although for the most
part we try to keep the sector load below 40% of its capabilities.

Our service is backboned with a Fibre Optic connection and at the moment we do not do any traffic shaping although we are going to be implementing some basic traffic shaping in the coming months. None of this will reduce the quality of service, and you can rest assured that we don't implement anywhere near the levels of traffic shaping as any of the other providers in the
area.

Ultimately if your concern is a stable connection with a low ping, we can provide that for you at a lower price then any other provider. In addition we have no bandwidth limits, which is rare in our industry.
OHSrob
join:2011-06-08

OHSrob

Avoid wisponline, If you do go with his service DO NOT sign a contract. You will see why if you use his service for a few day's.

I strongly recommend calling Nexicom. They have both a modern licensed 3.65ghz wireless service and a older unlicensed 2.4/5.8ghz Motorola canopy network.

They also have a very extensive VDSL and cable network that covers many rural area's. As well as fiber to the home in millbrook.

In my opinion Nexicom is the best to deal with, the most modern and advanced internet service provider in Ontario. And the only company that truly competes with both bell and rogers successfully for both wired and wireless services.

Unlike all of the hundreds of other ADSL/cable wholesalers in Ontario. Nexicom has built out their own network from the ground up.

Nexicom on the cutting edge of proven technology and the best provider in your area.

Nexicom's network has been built right from the start and they do not compromise to save money.

Nexicom will give you want you want and better then anyone else in that region.

seagreen
Mod
join:2001-05-14
out there

seagreen to Animal04

Mod

to Animal04
FYI: »User reviews - WispOnline.ca
And: »/nsear ··· ne&sa=Go
OHSrob
join:2011-06-08

OHSrob to Animal04

to Animal04
FYI some more info

Link to google search of his company

Lots of people complain about him not just on dslreports.

edit: The postal code to the only positive review for his company point's to his house north of newtonville. I am willing to bet if the email wasn't hidden it would be chris@wisponline or something similar.
Animal04
join:2012-11-01
Cavan, ON

Animal04 to OHSrob

to OHSrob
Thanks All.

I have been waiting for Nexicom for a good while now. They are laying their cables etc and said they would be going live at the end of September, mid October, first week in November etc etc.

They are saying they are testing the lines . Someone last week was putting the little flags up showing where the gas/power lines are in the gardens but no idea as to when they are laying the cable from the road to the house and connecting it all up.

From all of the above responses about Wisponline.ca I think I'll wait for Nexicom (plus wis wanted $250 installation fee!) - they were my first choice anyway but just got tired of waiting so was lookign for other alternatives.
james791
join:2012-12-07

james791

very wise to wait in this case!
wirelessdog
join:2008-07-15
Queen Anne, MD

wirelessdog to Animal04

to Animal04
$250 is not unreasonable. We charge more than that.