spacer

how-to block ads

Search Topic:
uniqs
share rss forum feed

johnrmeyer

join:2012-11-01

I don't think Hughes Gen/4 works with Apple devices

Major flaw with Hughes Gen 4 on Apple devices.

I've spent 5 hours with Apple advanced tech support trying to resolve issue as to why Hughes Gen 4 causes Apple wireless devices to download at average 6 Mb/s (on a good moment). Also pages glitch on load. I've control for entire environment, and troubleshooted on wireless connected iMac * PC which work fine averaging 12 Mb/s. The issue is Gen 4 on Apple mobile devices don't work. Real challenge considering we have 8 of them in our home. Likely going to cancel service next week unless Hughes Level 4 tech resources decides to return my call.

Also, Gateway used to transfer data from SolarCity inverters is not working on Hughes Gen 4.

Modem is HT/1000.
Have tried testing on Netgear router and 2 different Apple Extreme routers. Same issue.

On the other hand... really happy with download speeds on PC/iMac.

Chemprof

@pronetisp.net

Any resolution? Did you cancel? Still thinking about canceling my upcoming install, scheduled for Thursday.

Sunnycrest

@direcway.com
reply to johnrmeyer

I am having the same experience. Web pages balk on load on iPads on wireless but not on Mac computer on ethernet. I get about 7.5Mbps on wireless or wired. I sometimes reload a page 5 or more times to get it to load all the way on wireless.

linicx
Caveat Emptor
Premium
join:2002-12-03
United State
Reviews:
·TracFone Wireless
·CenturyLink
reply to johnrmeyer

I read this thread very carefully because I'm considering a move to Gen4. I too have a house full of Apple devices that are not all the same. I have a Mac server and a couple of older Macs plus PC and PC/Mac.

What I am reading reminds me a lot of the old MS-Netscape Browser Wars where MS made the lives of anyone who dare to use the superior Netscape browser miserable. MS software and MS specific HTML editors caused Netscape users to experience slow load, no load, repeated reloads to see one page, browser crash, 404 & 405 page errors where none actually existed and more.

Can you imagine the fallout from an Apple satellite that did not serve PC users fairly? No iTunes, no Apps, and couldn't load pages but the Apple devices were speedy and worked well?

Storms around the globe and in the atmosphere cause untold grief for satellite and micro dish telephone systems. I live in the middle of nowhere and I've had good Dish service and a strong signal. I don't think I'm going to jump on any satellite ISP until I read a lot more about it and see some figures from the competition.

--
Mac: No windows, No Gates, Apple inside

hughesnet123

join:2012-11-08
reply to johnrmeyer

Read my Gen 4 review I posted for more details.

I personally haven't had any issues. I have IOS 6 and Mountain Lion but it seems some are having issues with Mountain Lion, but not any other OSX. And with Mountain Lion the terminal code that fixes the problem takes about 2 seconds of your time but a lot of people aren't doing it because they either don't know how, or don't want to take the time to google it and see how to do it.

IOS at 6MB sounds great to me. lol I get 20MB down a lot of times. I pay for 15. Busy times I get 11MB down.

I am used to only having an air card. So even if my IOS devices were going at 6MB I'd still think that was amazing and wouldn't even consider going back to an air card or getting old hughes net.

If you have other alternatives, such as cable I'd go for it! But if you have no choice but air cards or hughes net, 6mb wouldn't be reason enough to cancel. At least not for me.

Keep in mind 6MB is faster than you might realize. Most website's can't load but at a certain speed. Realistically if you load up most websites on a 6mb connection and on a 16 mb connection you won't really be able to tell the difference. The download's you can, but it's still pretty quick at 6mb.

Some people have said they have to load the websites over and over on IOS. I have not had that issue either. That one would be annoying though.

I do understand paying for 15 and only getting 6 and feeling like you aren't getting what you pay for, but at the same time, if you are like most of us and can only get satellite internet what is the alternative? I can't think of anything on IOS that I would possibly even need more than 6Mb on. lol 6mb will stream any HD movie even.

blondalto

@direcway.com
reply to johnrmeyer

My macbook pro OS mt lion has a different prob with gen 4, which hughes tech help couldn't resolve. Supervisor did say later, working on it. But we can't get our hughes email, cycles us into "expired session" error & we never save passwords so that isn't even moot. ; ) anyone else.having this issue?

mr_rique

join:2012-11-10
reply to johnrmeyer

(Repost from the Hughesnet forums - edited): I too am having major problems with my MacBook Pro and with anything wireless. We are connected to an Airport Extreme. We can typically resolve the issue by re-starting the Airport Extreme and/or the HT modem and/or WiFi and/or... (you get the picture). Needless to say, this is a major hassle.

Yesterday, even our wired connection (Mac Mini) failed. The issue presents in the same way every time it fails, we cannot acquire an IP address. Renewing the DHCP lease does not resolve the issue.

In addition to the above connection issues, my MacBook Pro and my iOS 6 devices are slow when connected. There has been no difference whatsoever between the performance I am getting with my iOS devices now (except for the fact that they frequently cannot connect) and the performance I had been getting with the 9000.

hughesnet123 mentioned a terminal fix, which I have applied and it seems to have helped (somewhat, not enough... but somewhat), upping speeds on the MacBook Pro from ~ 1000 (DL) to ~ 3000-4000. That is still way short of what Hughes advertised or of what my wife gets with her Mac Mini (wired connection). And of course it cannot make a difference with the actual connections, just with performance.

So this is extremely disappointing. Whatever changes Apple made with Mountain Lion and iOS6, unless they are not in compliance with existing standards, I think it is up to Hughes to correct this. There is a large community of unhappy Apple owners and our numbers will grow as more and more of us upgrade or purchase Gen4.

mr_rique

join:2012-11-10

FYI - hughesnet123 describes the terminal fix here:

»Re: Review! New Gen 4 user/Mac OSX/IOS

As I mentioned above - with my MacBook Pro, the fix seems to help somewhat but does not provide the speed which Hughes advertised (does not come close) and does nothing to address the issue with connections.

CNR123

@direcway.com

I just had my Gen/4 installed. I only have Apple laptops in my home. Everything works very fast, no problems. The only issue is trying to find out from Hughesnet, how many movies from Netflix can I use per month.

diablo1892
Plough, sew, water, harvest. Repeat.

join:2011-04-21
Friendly, WV
Reviews:
·Frontier Communi..
·HughesNet Satell..
reply to johnrmeyer

said by johnrmeyer:

Major flaw with Hughes Gen 4 on Apple devices.

I've spent 5 hours with Apple advanced tech support trying to resolve issue as to why Hughes Gen 4 causes Apple wireless devices to download at average 6 Mb/s (on a good moment). Also pages glitch on load. I've control for entire environment, and troubleshooted on wireless connected iMac * PC which work fine averaging 12 Mb/s. The issue is Gen 4 on Apple mobile devices don't work. Real challenge considering we have 8 of them in our home. Likely going to cancel service next week unless Hughes Level 4 tech resources decides to return my call.

Also, Gateway used to transfer data from SolarCity inverters is not working on Hughes Gen 4.

Modem is HT/1000.
Have tried testing on Netgear router and 2 different Apple Extreme routers. Same issue.

On the other hand... really happy with download speeds on PC/iMac.

If your saying and your absolutely positive that the issue is Gen4 then speak with hughes and not apple, cause all your gonna do is waist some people's time that don't even have an ending to the situation except with aggravation. I have a old ipod from apple and my sister in law has a ipad witch is also from apple and neither are having problems at all so its gotta be on your end. When we called hughes we heard that something was'nt quite right on there end however thats still to be heard from cause they never called back, we had problems but guess what?? it was on our own f&%king end, the problem we had was NOT on hughesnets end.

I'm not saying its all your fault and then fix the issue better cause its on your end but it might be configuration in settings somewhere but i have no clue on networking. But I know the problem that we had here at my place was for sure on our own end.
--
HT1000/ 1 watt/ Power Max plan/ 4 pc's on a D-Link wired router/ wireless D-Link router with password
Support only the gaming company's that matter the most, pay for something that actually is worth buying or has a good reason for how much it's worth.

hughesnet123

reply to CNR123

I have the same experience CNR123. I don't have any issues what so ever. All I have are apple computers and two IOS 6 devices.

As far as how many Netflix you can watch, it depends. But I switched over to getting 3 DVD's in the mail at a time, rather than streaming Netflix. Hughesnet just isn't the type of service made for streaming Netflix. I mean you can, but if you like to browse the web like I do it's going to really take from that.

The cap is not an issue when browsing the web. Since my cap has turned on I haven't even used a GB and they have had it on for 3 days. Not even a half a GB. But if I was to stream Netflix it would go down quick.

Youtube doesn't take much, but I keep it at 360p and I don't click video's that are an hour long unless I'm for sure I want to watch it.

hughesnet123

reply to johnrmeyer

Here are my speeds today around 1 PM. On an Apple Mountain Lion Imac.