how-to block ads

Search Topic:
uniqs
share rss forum feed

nicfor

join:2012-11-01
Phoenix, AZ

[Networking] Gen4 DDNS Setup

I just upgraded to the Gen4 and want to connect remotely to security cameras. Tech support says they do not offer a static IP with Gen4. Has anyone been able to set up a DDNS service with Gen4 and if so how do I set it up. I alrady have a DDNS name. Thanks for any help.

stardust3

join:2012-09-08
united state

DDNS would be setup on a router & not the modem. Wrt54g with dd-wrt are the best routers for dynamic dns. However I'm not sure if the modem would have to be bridged or if it's even possible to bridge a hughes modem. I will see if that is an option on the next ht1000 I install.

TexasRebel

join:2011-05-29
Edgewood, TX
reply to nicfor

not going to work unless your router is supplied a public IP, which HNG4 does not give you one. Their HT1000 modem assigns a private IP to your router, which will not work with DDNS.

word has it that when they roll out business packages, they will get public IPs.

as a former ViaSat/Exede12 customer, they gave out public IPs to the customer's router, which DDNS worked well when I was with them.

gwalk
Premium
join:2005-07-27
West Mich.

public IP

By this do you mean a Static IP vs a Dynamic IP ?

TexasRebel

Edgewood, TX

Public IP as in it's known to the rest of the internet DNS servers. It can be assigned as a static or dynamic.

Private IP means it's not known to the rest of the internet and these are usually used for Intranet networks like company LANs.

dbirdman
Premium,MVM
join:2003-07-07
usa
kudos:5
reply to gwalk

said by gwalk:

public IP

By this do you mean a Static IP vs a Dynamic IP ?

We've had these discussions here in the past, because Hughes works differently than most other internet providers.

It is possible for a static IP to be public or private.

It is possible for a dynamic IP to be public or private.

On a typical cable or dsl modem the IP is dynamic, but public. It will change every time the modem is rebooted, and at some other times, but it can be seen from the internet. It is for such users that DDNS is designed - it takes a name like myip.dyndns.org and translates it to the dynamic IP. The modem or router sends a message to the DDNS provider every time the IP changes, and thus it works.

A static IP does not need DDNS, because by definition it never changes. However, a static IP is not necessarily public - the provider might assign the same private IP to a customer, never changing, but never possible to be seen from the internet.

Now to Hughes: historically, Hughes assigns a public IP to the WAN side of its modems, but provides a 192.168.0.0/24 private range on the LAN side. It does no port forwarding from the public to the private, so it is impossible to use with cameras, etc.

When the customer pays for a static IP (single, or a block of 5 IPs), Hughes exposes them on the LAN side in addition to the private block. Those static IPs are public.

Thus, with Hughes, static and public are synonymous, while dynamic is always private.
--
Motosat self-pointing dishes: .74 meter G74 on 127W, SL-5 HD DirecTV|Hughes HN7000S|Verizon UMW190 Air Card|1990 Blue Bird Wanderlodge Bus "Blue Thunder"|Author of hnFAP-Alert, PC-OPI and DSSatTool

nicfor

join:2012-11-01
Phoenix, AZ
reply to nicfor

Thanks everyone. Looks like I will have to wait for Gen4 to come out with a static IP..

spencer

@direcway.com

NextAlarm.com supposedly offers security systems and monitoring software and services that are compatible with Gen4. this includes camera monitoring. their web site has very little information. there are suggestions that their system will work with 3rd party cameras. again, no real information. does anyone know if this will be another dead end for trying to monitor security cameras on gen4? i am not interested in buying a ton of expensive stuff from NextAlarm nor paying high monthly fees. it looks like they have a monitoring only plan for $4 a month. pretty sure this will not work but would be interested in knowing if anyone else has info. will try calling them tomorrow but expect to get the same sort of endless runaround and bullshit that i have been getting from Hughesnet. amazing how much they have lied to me and how little info they give their support people. i have wasted many hours trying to determine if gen4 will ever work with secutity cameras.

jp1gt

join:2012-11-22
Indio, CA

this is my first post. one of the reasons I got hughes net is to monitor cameras remotely. Hughes says that they block NO ports like everyone else, but they do not have any open ports. they said to me that the business accts will have static IP's first, but they are more expensive. do you think that they will have a family acct with a static IP like they did for the old system?

jp1gt

Indio, CA
reply to spencer

If anyone knows how to get through the hughes net modem, let me know. Does anyone have the nextalarm service with hughesnet?

jp1gt

Indio, CA
reply to spencer

I have tried to post 3 times. Does anyone have nextalarm with hughsnet? I can see my cameras in my network, but can not see them remotely. I do not care how I do it, but I need to see them remotely on occasion.

jp1gt

Indio, CA
reply to nicfor

I have tried to post 3 times. Does anyone have nextalarm with hughsnet? I can see my cameras in my network, but can not see them remotely. I do not care how I do it, but I need to see them remotely on occasion. If it is only 4/mo that is cheap.

jp1gt

Indio, CA
reply to spencer

I have tried to post 3 times. Someone let me know what I am doing wring!!! Does anyone have nextalarm with hughsnet? I can see my cameras in my network, but can not see them remotely. I do not care how I do it, but I need to see them remotely on occasion.

nedriv

join:2006-08-07
Somerset, CA

Looks like four times to me....
--
HN9000 /

dbirdman
Premium,MVM
join:2003-07-07
usa
kudos:5
reply to jp1gt

said by jp1gt:

this is my first post. one of the reasons I got hughes net is to monitor cameras remotely. Hughes says that they block NO ports like everyone else, but they do not have any open ports. they said to me that the business accts will have static IP's first, but they are more expensive. do you think that they will have a family acct with a static IP like they did for the old system?

Actually 5 posts came through. Do I "think" they will offer static IPs to non-business accounts? Yes. Do I "know" they will? No. Is there a way to get through the modem otherwise? Unlikely.
--
Motosat self-pointing dishes: .74 meter G74 on 127W, SL-5 HD DirecTV|Hughes HN7000S|Verizon UMW190 Air Card|1990 Blue Bird Wanderlodge Bus "Blue Thunder"|Author of hnFAP-Alert, PC-OPI and DSSatTool

TexasRebel

Edgewood, TX
reply to jp1gt

use GotoMyPC and remote connect to your machine that has access to your cameras on your local network. It will be slllllow, but that's about as good as it's going to get..

jp1gt

Indio, CA
reply to spencer

I will try goto my pc. I will not need to monitor often, so speed is not an issue. Sorry about all the posts, it would not post, so kept trying. i will monitor this site to see if any new ideas come up. thanks--