how-to block ads

Search Topic:
uniqs
share rss forum feed

swagster38

join:2012-11-01
Eaton, OH

help hook up my generator

I want to get a generator and the one I would like to have dose not a big plug in on it just 2 small ones, is there a way I can hook it up to my house? I only need to the motor on my gas frunace, microwave, and maybe a light or 2.

robbin
Premium,MVM
join:2000-09-21
Leander, TX
kudos:1

1 recommendation

Run extension cords

alkizmo

join:2007-06-25
Pierrefonds, QC

said by robbin:

Run extension cords

Furnace blowers are not on extension cords.

I just hope for Swagster that he has power and he's just trying to get prepared for the future after what happened with Sandy.
He has a lot of ground to cover if he doesn't want to bring in an electrician.

robbin
Premium,MVM
join:2000-09-21
Leander, TX

Furnaces can be set up with a cord and plug. Then you just unplug from the outlet and plug into the cord. If the OP's is not, it is easy to add.

CylonRed
Premium,MVM
join:2000-07-06
Bloom County
reply to swagster38

Need a lot more details like the make/model of the generator. I doubt you will have one powerful enough to do all of the above - especially with a microwave. Microwaves need a good amount of power.

In the Dayton area we did not get hit hard and I believe everyone is back up and running for the few that had issues (Eaton is not far from Dayton).
--
Brian

"It drops into your stomach like a Abrams's tank.... driven by Rosanne Barr..." A. Bourdain

alkizmo

join:2007-06-25
Pierrefonds, QC

said by CylonRed:

Need a lot more details like the make/model of the generator. I doubt you will have one powerful enough to do all of the above - especially with a microwave. Microwaves need a good amount of power.

A 2000W generator could do it.
Once the blower has started, it only uses about 500W.
500W + 1000W microwave + a couple of CFL lights and you have enough power for a LCD tv.