spc
Search similar:

uniqs

dannyg40
@wideopenwest.com

dannyg40

Anon

WOW Pricing & Ultra TV

I know there's another post about pricing but Mine is a little different, and I have an Ultra TV Question.

I have had WOW for 10+ years here in Chicago. Long ago my new customer plan ran out and when it did my bill was around $150. I still had all movie channels and 8 meg internet speed and my house phone with WOW. Every year after my bill would go up about $15. They gave me small discounts for a few months, bill would come down to $135. Then up to $160. I call them back, they cant give me no discounts so as the price goes up, I drop my movie channels, 6 months later, price goes up again, I lower my internet speed to get my bill back to $135. Few months later bill is $147 for same plan. I call and complain, they give me a discount my bill will be $143 from now on. Next month, my bill is $147, I pay it. Next month bill is $153... I called and I was pissed big time ! I told them I been with them all these years and I everytime I drop service to save money, they jack it back up $3 or $4 every month. She promised my bill will stay $147 the rest of this year. I had them come out and replace my bad dvr box. Service guy told me about Ultra TV and WOW's $105 deal for the same plan I have now. He called WOW, she told him I cant get it for that price, my bill would be the same with an upgrade. I can get it for $115. He talked to 3 different reps, and they wouldnt lower the price. He said he did it for about 20 other customers because it was an "upgrade to Ultra, so I qualify as new service". Wow wouldnt budge. I figure Im still gonna save about $20 so why not anyway. I call WOW, she tells me I will pay $122, I cant get it for $115... I didnt agrue, I figure as long as Im locked in for 2 years, I will still save about $12. Guy comes out today to do the Install. He didnt have a wow truck, looked like a private contractor. Older spanish guy. He was here late, and told me I might not want to get the Ultra cause its problems, he will come back next friday to do the install. I'm like what ? And then he makes a call to reschedule and flys away.... I'm really ticked off with this mess with WOW's bills and problems. Then, I cant get through to wow today, I see they are having problems or something. All I get is a busy signal..... Grrrrrr. Thanks for letting me vent, but ..... does the Ultra work and is it worth it from regualr DVR equiptment ? I hate to have problems If I do the upgrade like the guy said.........
Thank You
clocks11
join:2002-05-06

1 recommendation

clocks11

Paragraphs are your friend. Your post is very hard to read as it's currently written.
alan92rttt
join:2012-02-27

alan92rttt to dannyg40

to dannyg40
I got Ultra within the first month it was available in my area.

I would never select the old SA DVR hardware over the ultra system.
NuclearXP9
join:2012-04-12
Trenton, MI

NuclearXP9 to dannyg40

to dannyg40
I had Ultra TV for a few months and really liked the concept but eventually a few gaps were just too much for me to continue with the service, including:
- if you use your own router, or wireless router as an access point connected to the gateway, you will likely experience a lot of issues if you have gaming of unique network needs. it is also generally unsupported and difficult to configure
- the quality of the gateway in regards to advanced configuration, and wireless network strength just aren't ready for primetime. don't count on using the wireless well outside the same room as the device.
- while I have heard the latest firmware fixes or helps this - my family and I could not stand the latency between hitting remote buttons and the response on the tv. it was frustrating to pay money for a "consumer ready service" that had such an annoying and well known gap that went on well past a year it had been out
- if you have =2 TVs, the price isn't too bad for the hardware you get. Once you start renting add'l media players, which you need on extra tvs to get the Ultra TV experience, it starts costing alot more in the long run.
- in general, though, the overall concept and experience of having a central DVR was really nice. pretty simple to use and manage for the family

dfs
@wideopenwest.com

dfs to dannyg40

Anon

to dannyg40
Wife and I have both enjoyed ultra tv so far since they fixed the grid guide.

Seems like prices keep goling up from every provider, Glad i am old and won't be around very long as we wouldn't have the money to pay bills down the road.
alan92rttt

alan92rttt to NuclearXP9

to NuclearXP9
said by NuclearXP9:

- if you use your own router, or wireless router as an access point connected to the gateway, you will likely experience a lot of issues if you have gaming of unique network needs. it is also generally unsupported and difficult to configure

I have used my own router since day one I have had zero internet related issues. I play several PC games online with no issue. I believe the VPN issues have been resolved.
said by NuclearXP9:

- the quality of the gateway in regards to advanced configuration, and wireless network strength just aren't ready for primetime. don't count on using the wireless well outside the same room as the device.

I don't use it but the wireless signal is weaker than the signal from the linksys E2100 that I use.
said by NuclearXP9:

- while I have heard the latest firmware fixes or helps this - my family and I could not stand the latency between hitting remote buttons and the response on the tv. it was frustrating to pay money for a "consumer ready service" that had such an annoying and well known gap that went on well past a year it had been out

Menus are much much better search can still be laggy. Even with the issues its way better than the SA boxes.
said by NuclearXP9:

- if you have

I agree $15 per month for any TV over 2 is too much. That said I have not seen a solution that is more cost effective. A roll your own solution might be less expensive in the long run but it would take years to break even.
IT_guy_1999
join:2012-11-02

IT_guy_1999 to NuclearXP9

to NuclearXP9
said by NuclearXP9:

This is my biggest fear with moving to WOW! I have invested money in Harmony remotes and have an existing awesome setup for all my UVERSE TV's.. Latency on a freaking remote ruins the ENTIRE television experience. I think you have answered my questions.
NuclearXP9
join:2012-04-12
Trenton, MI

NuclearXP9

Do take my comments with a grain of salt, as it is rumored the new firmware helps. Also the remote latency is not due to the remote design, rather the remote commands are sent to the media player and then the gateway - since in actuality it is the gateway providing the UI and video feed.

dfs
@wideopenwest.com

dfs to IT_guy_1999

Anon

to IT_guy_1999
Since the firmware upgrade remote commands work good now.

dannyg40
@wideopenwest.com

dannyg40

Anon

Thanks everyone,
I'm going to let them install the Ultra this coming firday, and hopefully I won't have any issues with it, and my bill will actually stay locked in at the same price.
sparkydm
join:2012-05-10

sparkydm

I've been with WOW a long time. I love the Ultra concept but, not the pricing. I keep looking and first chance I find something to replace their equipment, I'm gone. I'd settle for 4 tuners to get away from their rental fees. My bill is almost $200 with no extra movie channels and I still don't get Fox Soccer! I have this constant feeling that I'm being ripped off by WOW. They had Fox Soccer when I signed up and then they dropped it. Their customer support is great! But, the cost benefit ratio has dropped dramatically since I've been with them. I'm getting the feeling they don't care about me anymore so, I'm thinking of returning the favor.

usa2k
Blessed
MVM
join:2003-01-26
Westland, MI

1 edit

usa2k to dannyg40

MVM

to dannyg40

Re: WOW Pricing & Ultra TV

I had the Ultra Media Hub go bad after a couple weeks. This was replaced, and many shows are back in the queue and it has been consistent and reliable.

I would heartily recommend Ultra. It is new, but I have enjoyed it very much. I would be sad to move somewhere without it.

I was intrigued by the Hopper until I read it had a 2 year commitment. At least cable companies don't commit you long term, so evaluation is a way lower risk.

As a family of 6 here (4 adults with varying taste) I did add a terabyte of hard drive space, (tripling it), and we are not past 50% and some shows on it could probably have gone by now, but I am glad I spent $100 so I don't care about running out of space.

I'm also the kind of guy that has unlimited VoIP phone service, even though I rarely use it . . .

EDIT: Bad bold formatting
adam1991
join:2012-06-16
united state

adam1991 to sparkydm

to sparkydm

said by sparkydm:

I've been with WOW a long time. I love the Ultra concept but, not the pricing. I keep looking and first chance I find something to replace their equipment, I'm gone. I'd settle for 4 tuners to get away from their rental fees. My bill is almost $200 with no extra movie channels and I still don't get Fox Soccer! I have this constant feeling that I'm being ripped off by WOW. They had Fox Soccer when I signed up and then they dropped it. Their customer support is great! But, the cost benefit ratio has dropped dramatically since I've been with them. I'm getting the feeling they don't care about me anymore so, I'm thinking of returning the favor.

Your bill is $200, but what services are you buying from them?

Mine is considerably less, but I don't buy phone from them (for example). I use a third party VoIP service, and my total bill is around ten bucks/month for phone.

And I'm perfectly happy with 15 megabit internet service. Truth be told I'd be happy with 8 megabit at this point, but I have the 15/2 so whatever. None of the 30 or 50 megabit service silliness here.

Anyway, the three TVs in my house would cost me $40/month in UltraTV hardware if I didn't have Windows Media Center and a Ceton tuner card in place. The tradeoff is, I bought my own hardware--the tuner card, a Windows box, and a couple of XBoxen plus some network infrastructure--up front. That takes my WOW TV bill down to nothing more than the cost of programming itself plus a single cableCARD.

How long have you been with WOW, and what was your bill when you first signed up?
adam1991

adam1991 to usa2k

to usa2k

said by usa2k:

I'm also the kind of guy that has unlimited VoIP phone service, even though I rarely use it . . .

How much are you paying for that?

You could pay a flat $129 and get two years of unlimited VoIP service. I've never understood anyone who gets cable company phone service. If you're going to pay that money, get it from the local hardwire phone company. If you're going to go VoIP, don't pay the cableco rates which are incredibly high.

slyphoxj
join:2002-06-23
united state

slyphoxj

said by adam1991:

said by usa2k:

How much are you paying for that?

You could pay a flat $129 and get two years of unlimited VoIP service. I've never understood anyone who gets cable company phone service. If you're going to pay that money, get it from the local hardwire phone company. If you're going to go VoIP, don't pay the cableco rates which are incredibly high.

It seems as though WOW's phone service isn't really a better deal than the landline at my house. My AT&T landline runs about $26 a month with no features whatsoever except for unlimited local calling. Long distance runs about $2 or so a month extra (Pioneer Telephone). I don't think we could get WOW Phone for that cheap after adding in all of the mandatory taxes and fees (including the unavoidable $5 rental charge for the EMTA/modem... can't use my own). So WOW phone wouldn't really be any cheaper and would be less reliable to boot (won't stay up as long during a power outage).

dannyg40
@wideopenwest.com

dannyg40

Anon

Phone is the best for me with WOW. I had AT&T for years here in chicago. Smallest bill would be around $55 and I wasnt using the landline ! Was afraid to, they started with this over 5 miles, over 10 miles, over 25 mile crap. Local Long Distance they called it. The rates were astronomical. Call my Uncle 11 miles away for half an hour it cost about $1 ... Kinda crazy cause its the same area code, only 11 mles away.
baess
join:2011-01-28

baess

said by dannyg40 :

Phone is the best for me with WOW. I had AT&T for years here in chicago. Smallest bill would be around $55 and I wasnt using the landline ! Was afraid to, they started with this over 5 miles, over 10 miles, over 25 mile crap. Local Long Distance they called it. The rates were astronomical. Call my Uncle 11 miles away for half an hour it cost about $1 ... Kinda crazy cause its the same area code, only 11 mles away.

Experienced the same thing but wanted to keep a landline.

Not many know about the low cost plans that AT&T offers because of course they don't advertise them. I pay about $18/month (down from $35 or so). I use my cell phone for local long distance.

»citizensutilityboard.org ··· r_1.html
alan92rttt

alan92rttt to sparkydm

to sparkydm

How may players do you have? The base rental for ultra is $25 per month(gateway and 2 players)
alan92rttt

1 edit

alan92rttt to sparkydm

to sparkydm
quote:
I love the Ultra concept but, not the pricing. I keep looking and first chance I find something to replace their equipment, I'm gone. I'd settle for 4 tuners to get away from their rental fees. My bill is almost $200 with no extra movie channels and I still don't get Fox Soccer!
How many players do you have? The base rental for ultra is $25 per month(gateway and 2 players) plus $15 per player.

usa2k
Blessed
MVM
join:2003-01-26
Westland, MI

1 edit

usa2k

MVM

FWIW these have been observations about Ultra including my price which I downgraded and is about $118/month with three set tops.
»New install

dannyg40
@wideopenwest.com

dannyg40 to baess

Anon

to baess
Have my landline with WOW right now. Just had a thought though, if I upgrade to the Ultra, will the phones be wireless to then ? I think its called VOIP, like that magic jack Im thinking. Have to look into it.