share rss forum feed

alkizmo

join:2007-06-25
Pierrefonds, QC
kudos:1
reply to Subaru

Re: Interlock Murray panel

said by Subaru:

The space next to the box I think would support a transfer panel, the thing is when you say up a level I assume you mean from where I posted the foundation picture? I'm 5'9" so the top is about 6" above my head so just think plugging in a generator cord up that high..

No, once you go through the wall above the foundation, you come back down through a PVC raceway that's attached to the exterior wall's facade. The inlet would be surface mounted.

Subaru
1-3-2-4
Premium
join:2001-05-31
Greenwich, CT

got it, I was watching the install video for that reliance transfer switch but I'm not sure if it has a knock out at the top of the inlet box?

sk1939
Premium
join:2010-10-23
Mclean, VA
kudos:10
Reviews:
·T-Mobile US
·Verizon FiOS

It depends on what kind of inlet. For the Reliance you would end up forming a "J" shape to reach the inlet (down, over, then up to the inlet), otherwise there are others such as this Bryant:

»www.google.com/shopping/product/···BEPMCMAQ

That just installs into a standard box.

alkizmo

join:2007-06-25
Pierrefonds, QC
reply to Subaru

It doesn't look like it has a top knock out, too bad.

But I don't understand the big deal with the reliance transfer switch.

It's so popular, but costs 250$ and only has 6 circuits.

On the canadian Home Depot website, you can buy a 18 space transfer switch for 200$ and have 50$ to spare for the inlet and wires.

»www.homedepot.ca/product/60-amp-···m/992421

I don't see anything like that on the american home depot website, but I'm sure they exist.

Subaru
1-3-2-4
Premium
Greenwich, CT

the one I'm looking at is like $180

sk1939
Premium
Mclean, VA
Reviews:
·T-Mobile US
·Verizon FiOS

1 recommendation

I would suggest one like this:

»www.homedepot.com/h_d1/N-5yc1v/R···ApBhrY4Y

Subaru
1-3-2-4
Premium
Greenwich, CT

Yeah but that's only one circuit, no?

*edit
Ok does not seem like it but how does this one work? It seems like it's wired after the main?

Subaru
1-3-2-4
Premium
Greenwich, CT
reply to sk1939

said by sk1939:

I would suggest one like this:

»www.homedepot.com/h_d1/N-5yc1v/R···ApBhrY4Y

$99 on Amazon btw.

sk1939
Premium
Mclean, VA
Reviews:
·T-Mobile US
·Verizon FiOS
reply to Subaru

It's a whole-panel switch, it works in place of a main breaker with the same function as an interlock kit. Basically like this:

Meter -> T.Panel -> Main Breaker
Generator ->

You run the 10/3 or 8/3 line from that to your inlet. This transfer panel allows you to use your old panel without a whole lot of modification without the risk of back feeding the utility line. The generator itself has a circuit breaker of either 30A or 50A which would provide the over current protection if need be. Just make sure that the neutral-ground bonding is removed.

Subaru
1-3-2-4
Premium
Greenwich, CT

Got it, It would not be until Dec until I get a higher wattage generator providing we don't get a massive snow storm stores can start building up a fresh supply of generators.